Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

I was on my way through town yesterday heading for the bookmart on the mall
    when on the back of a bus was an advertisement for the library council
    titled readiscover
    so I looked it up today and stumbled upon this thought it might come in useful
    http://www.library.ie/blog/book-clubs-and-reading-groups
    keep on readin in the free world

also theres a new phenonemon read dating
    I heard about it on the derek monney radio show
    they're having the first Irish one in dublin
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/fp2008/read_dating.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

How about we go with what has previously been suggested on this thread - upstairs in the Glasshouse, Thursday 26th June, starting at around 7.45 - 8.00pm, and every two weeks after that?

Whoever's in favour raise your hand!
    *raises hand*
    Atonement - Ian McEwan

Was just made into a film - reckon it would be easy to find in shops for this reason. Besides I've wanted to read it before watching the movie, though I've heard it's a bit of a downer...

ah so we're reading a thousand splendid suns first. Cool beans, I'll pick that up tomorrow, once someone tells me where we're getting the best discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'm not sure about the "Round Ireland with a Fridge", I found it really, really funny, but maybe it wouldn't be to everyone's taste? It ain't a Booker candidate iykwim?! If anyone has a better suggestion it doesn't bother me. I just can't recommend a book without reading it, its impossible! Yet I want new books to read... :o

Currently reading the crappiest book in the world, why are the crap ones soooo long, but I will NEVER give up!!*

*I gave up on The Alchemist though. For shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

sueme wrote: »
    *I gave up on The Alchemist though. For shame.

Oh I loved the Alchemist! Different strokes though. I've given up on plenty of books. So have we got a better offer from a rival book shop Sueme :D?

Oh I loved the Alchemist! Different strokes though. I've given up on plenty of books. So have we got a better offer from a rival book shop Sueme :D?

Yeah you and the rest of the world loved The Alchemist, I just couldn't get it. Maybe another time.

No word yet on the bidding war, will keep ye posted.

Edit: Was it me, or was The Alchemist a bit Harry Potterish? Never read those either mind you, I need a little more fact in my fiction, spells and magic etc make me yawn. Maybe I'm wrong...

I was thinking we could organise the meetings etc. through this site
    http://www.goodreads.com/event
    its an excellent site for n e one who reads books and wants to share and discover with others

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Edit: Was it me, or was The Alchemist a bit Harry Potterish? Never read those either mind you, I need a little more fact in my fiction, spells and magic etc make me yawn. Maybe I'm wrong...

I loved Harry Potter. In my defense I was given the first book as a present when I was 12 so I was young enough when I started reading them. I was gutted when the last book came out! I have also converted my OH (who's in his 30's) to Harry Potter. He's bought all the movies and books. :D We named the second kitten Tonks from Harry Potter too.

I also love The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy which he introduced (Or rather exposed) me to. We named our first cat Zaff from it. :D

In saying that, I'm not big into fantasy stuff usually. I've just finished Age of the Five by Trudi Canavan which is fantasy. They were brilliant.

I think it depends what mood I'm in. I'd rather read fantasy book though over sad war books. I hate sad war books! :(

EDIT: I thought about it after I'd posted and realised I do tend to read more fantasy books than anything else. I like to leave reality behind when I do read books.

Yeah, I loved Harry Potter too. I was 13 when I read the first book, and I was one of the crazy people who read the last one using that poorly photographed leaked version about a week before it officially was released - just so that nobody could ruin it on me.

However I mainly read more serious things, and I've got a life plan of reading most of the great classics. (that part of my Life Plan is not going so well at the moment!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Mrs.T wrote: »
    So, if you were to have a book club, would you be able to put the title of the books you're reading here on the boards? I'd be interested to see what everyone's reading.
    I probably wouldn't be able to commit myself to reading a book in a "deadline". I have "The Curious Incident About A Dog" to read, which I've wanted to read for a long time. I just can't seem to find the motivation to read it.... I'm quite hopless that way :o

Yeah!!!! I did it, I finished the book!!! :D

Mrs.T wrote: »
    Yeah!!!! I did it, I finished the book!!! :D
    What did you think?

I see the Mods are fans of all things er..fantasyishness. They'll be harder nuts than I thought to crack. :D

Actually I'm not a huge fan of the fantasy genre.

I certainly couldn't get through the Lord of the Rings. screw that noise.

Honestly, I'm much more at home with books like To Kill a Mockingbird, Faranheit 451, Grapes of Wrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

What did you think?

I see the Mods are fans of all things er..fantasyishness. They'll be harder nuts than I thought to crack. :D

It was totally not what I expected. I loved the way it was written. I used to work with children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and I liked how the author had written out the thought process from Christopher.

I wouldn't be a fan of fantasy either. One of my favourite books is called "Jitterbug Perfume" by Tim Robbins, I can read that over and over again. I do like Tess Gerritsen, Nicci French and a bit of Irvine Welsh, I've also read most of Torey Hayden books, although they aren't for everybody. They are books about her work with children with emotional and physical handicaps. I also worked in that area of childcare when I discovered her books.
    There are so many books that I've read but have forgotten their names....:o

Ooooh I love Tim Robbins. I recently read Skinny Legs and All - I would love to read some more Tim Robbins in the book club! He's just so... odd!

I love Tory Hadens books. I've some experience of the autistic spectrum too, so it can be a great insight.

Slave, by Mende Nazer, is a good, if heartbreaking read. Did I say somewhere that I don't like auto/biographies?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

i don't mean to butt in but what about the whereabouts of eneas mcnulty the seminal sligo novel.

are you planning on joining the book club or just telling us what to read? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I am too socially inept to join any sort of a club. I have to get drunk just to come on here.

I am too socially inept to join any sort of a club. I have to get drunk just to come on here.

Lol.

Come to the Book Club meet, I'll hold your hand.

• Advertisement

You hussy.

Xiney wrote: »
    You hussy.

:eek:

Your right Mr Redarmyblues, its safer at home methinks...

Hussy indeed....

:p:D

Xiney banned for 2 weeks for personal abuse. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Does the "Granny Rule" apply to your Sligo Authors? If so you can admit Bram Stoker to the list!

LOL

right. So I haven't even bought the book yet - I'm pretty far behind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Is this thread about setting up a Book Club or an opinion on your favorite book/novel? Formation of a Book Club I think. Setting one up would be a terrific idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Xiney wrote: »
    Ooooh I love Tim Robbins. I recently read Skinny Legs and All - I would love to read some more Tim Robbins in the book club! He's just so... odd!

+1 for Tim Robbins, loved every book I've read by him so far. Would a mod like to perhaps open a sticky thread with just the name of the book we are reading for the club and the meeting place, date, etc so people will be easily able to find out the information? There's nothing wrong with this thread per se, its just a little noisy for trying to find that sort of thing out.

(Not saying it should be you specifically Xiney; whoever gets to it first)

Tanx.

Ok I've stickied a thread with the necessary details. It's definitely a good idea.

I took the details from here but I have any of them wrong let me or Xiney know and we'll change them.

We'll be keeping this thread as a general chat thread. The other is to be used only for the details. If you have a question or anything please keep it to this thread. :)

• Advertisement

As far as I know, those are the correct details.

I've locked the thread so that people won't post in it - last thing we need is two threads chit chatting about the books. Takola or I can unlock & post in it if something changes or an announcement needs to be made.

Advertisement