Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Whoa whoa. I just started reading this thread properly.
    Are you talking about Tim Robbins - Actor/Director?

Also. Can someone confirm if this would be specific to Sligo/NW authors or is it a more general range of books/authors?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56203686&postcount=57

This is the list as it stands at the moment Gillie.

A mixture of Sligo/non-Sligo Authors.

Are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

so where is everyone in the book??

I'm so behind!! I'll git 'er done though. (I got to a bit of a surprising bit near the start and I was like, oh holy crap)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I haven't gotten the book yet! You can all slap me when you meet me. I will get it tomorrow I promise! And I'll get it read!

How big is it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Gillie wrote: »
    Whoa whoa. I just started reading this thread properly.
    Are you talking about Tim Robbins - Actor/Director?
    no gillie its tOm robbins,the elusive seattle based storyteller.google,as always,is your friend.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Advertisement

no gillie its tOm robbins,the elusive seattle based storyteller.google,as always,is your friend.

Posted via Mobile Device

Right! He good?

takola wrote: »
    I haven't gotten the book yet! You can all slap me when you meet me. I will get it tomorrow I promise! And I'll get it read!

How big is it? :D

I think it's around 370 pages. I'd check but it's already packed in my backpack to ensure I get some of it read today!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Aaaaah I knew I had forgotten something! The book! Ok ok, I'm running into town after work to get it.

*panics slightly*

Aaaaah I knew I had forgotten something! The book! Ok ok, I'm running into town after work to get it.

*panics slightly*

Oh thank God! :D

370 pages isn't extremely long. Should be able to have it read before Thursday. (I hope)

Right! He good?

Yeah very good well worth checking out.

• Advertisement

Don't bother trying easons for it today.
    The Westlife boys are in their signing their book.

Jesus the amount of negative comments I heard while walking up the street today was shocking!
    Pure Jealous!
    *Waits for illgatto's comeback!

Don't bother trying easons for it today.
    The Westlife boys are in their signing their book.

Jesus the amount of negative comments I heard while walking up the street today was shocking!
    Pure Jealous!
    *Waits for illgatto's comeback!

I've avoided town today. I think I'd puke if I saw them.

Negative comments you say? I can't believe that!

:D

I've avoided town today. I think I'd puke if I saw them.

Negative comments you say? I can't believe that!

:D

:eek:
    Puke?

I've been finding it a very fast read - there's no big long sentences that make me read them twice over.

You should both have no problems getting through it by Thursday - I'm gauging it at around a 6 hour read.

:eek:
    Puke?

Yes! Them and their music make me nauseous when they're on the tv. In person I know I couldn't stop myself! :(

Got it in town today anyway (Well my OH got it cos I won't get into town). You like it so far Xiney? I read a bit about it. Does sound interesting!

Yes! Them and their music make me nauseous when they're on the tv. In person I know I couldn't stop myself! :(

Aw sh*t!
    I'll have to cancel them for the Sligo Beers event so!

It's alright, so far.

I'll have plenty to say when we all meet up I think :P

It's certainly more about the story than about the writing (which is fine, and it is a best seller after all)

You're not really selling it Xiney. Tbh I probably amn't going to read this one because I'm already reading two or three books at the minute. fidel's autobiography trumps splendid suns...

Aw sh*t!
    I'll have to cancel them for the Sligo Beers event so!

I wonder if the mention of that is enough to ban you for! :D We may need to edit the charter a little Xiney. No Aine pics and no talk of westlife! :D

Are you coming to the meet Brian?

How many people have we got coming to this meet?

Haven't really decided yet although its not really up to me since I don't own a car.

• Advertisement

I wonder if the mention of that is enough to ban you for! :D We may need to edit the charter a little Xiney. No Aine pics and no talk of westlife! :D

Are you coming to the meet Brian?

How many people have we got coming to this meet?

Ok I agree on the Aine thing!

Ban me? Post counts would drop dramatically!
    Sueme would cry!:eek:

Ok, started it this morning, and it's very easy to read. I should have it read by Monday at the latest. I agree with the comment that it's more about the story than the writing, you don't actually notice the writing at all. The style is simple and descriptions are discreet, but still suck you into the story. I am enjoying it, I have to say. As I read "The Kite Runner" before reading this, the descriptions of daily life in Afghanistan aren't as striking as they would have been had I read this first, does that make sense?? But good story IMO. Time will tell! How's everyone else getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Just one question guys, who is Aine. Is the one that was on the Podge and Rodge show? She works for Abbott right? (assuming it is her of course)

Currently reading Beyond The Lodge Of The Sun by Chokecherry Gall Eagle, wise words indeed!!! Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Lodge-Sun-Mysteries-American/dp/1843336316/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214049454&sr=1-2
    Beyond the Lodge of the Sun: Inner Mysteries of the Native American Way by Chokecherry Gall Eagle. Wise word indeed!!!

Ban me? Post counts would drop dramatically!
    Sueme would cry!:eek:

I would? Oh. Yes. Yes I would.
    If Westlife and Gillie are banned, well, I'm leaving too. *flounces off*

On topic: Haven't started re-reading the book yet, but I will. I agree, Aul Lemon, I thought the discriptions of everyday life in Afganistan in The Kiterunner were great, and by this book your a little used to them, so its not quite as fascinating.

DenMan wrote: »
    Just one question guys, who is Aine. Is the one that was on the Podge and Rodge show? She works for Abbott right? (assuming it is her of course)

Currently reading Beyond The Lodge Of The Sun by Chokecherry Gall Eagle, wise words indeed!!! Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Lodge-Sun-Mysteries-American/dp/1843336316/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214049454&sr=1-2
    Beyond the Lodge of the Sun: Inner Mysteries of the Native American Way by Chokecherry Gall Eagle. Wise word indeed!!!

Yep DenMan, That's Aine. Any mention or pictures of her will get you a 2 year ban from the Sligo forum! :D(not really though)

I got the book yesterday. Half way through it now. I'm enjoying it. I'm finding it very easy to read. Which is a relief! I'd never have had it read for Thursday otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

No I can safely say I won't be putting anything related to her up on the boards, a 2,000 year ban would be more appropriate...:D

I'm afraid I can't make the Book Club Meeting on Thursday. Apologies and I hope you all enjoy the book and the meet-up. :)

Aw!

Hope to see you at the next one, Sue :)

Aw, that's a pity Sueme! You'd better make it next time!

How is everyone sorted for tomorrow evening? Has everyone finished? And, actually, who's coming tomorrow?

*imagines sitting by herself in a booth in the glasshouse*

• Advertisement

I'll be there!

I'm not done the book yet but I'll be done by tomorrow night ;)

Advertisement