Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Gillie wrote: »
    Don't bother trying easons for it today.
    The Westlife boys are in their signing their book.

Jesus the amount of negative comments I heard while walking up the street today was shocking!
    Pure Jealous!
    *Waits for illgatto's comeback!

The juxtaposition of Westlife in a shop containing books and knowledge is too much to comment on here. Nice to see they come back to Sligo for some self promotion though.
    I don't like reading on a deadline. And I hate disecting books. My English teacher ruined several books for me by too much talk. And anyway, I've just finished Les Misérables (1,000 pages in fairly small print), so I'll be looking for something fairly light next. I had eight books read this year up to April. Les Misérables has taken me the two months since. Not continuously obviously:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

il gatto wrote: »
    The juxtaposition of Westlife in a shop containing books and knowledge is too much to comment on here. Nice to see they come back to Sligo for some self promotion though.

*Rolls up sleeves and cracks knuckles*

Oh yeah?

sueme wrote: »
    *Rolls up sleeves and cracks knuckles*

Oh yeah?

Yeah.

Yeah.

Says who?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Woah woah woah people! :eek:

If you wish to have this conversation please start another thread!

Then I can get involved too! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

sueme and il gatto, calm down guy's. It's just a discussion. :)

Well I got the book. Read it in 2 days (Which means I enjoyed it!)! It was very good.

I've had something come up for tomorrow night but I'm doing my best to find a way around it so I can come to the book club. I'll let you's know as soon as I can! :)

DenMan wrote: »
    sueme and il gatto, calm down guy's. It's just a discussion. :)

DenMan, You'll find some of the regulars have a little banter with each other every so often. It's not necessarily as it reads on the screen. Most of the time it's in fun! :)

sueme wrote: »
    Says who?

Says the Music Police (of which I am the Commisioner). Nee Nah, Nee Nah?.....Woo, Woo,Woo?..........makes siren noise....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

takola wrote: »
    DenMan, You'll find some of the regulars have a little banter with each other every so often. It's not necessarily as it reads on the screen. Most of the time it's in fun! :)

I'm all for that....:)

• Advertisement

Apologies for off-topicishness. :)

Could we have the Book List added to the Sticky please, I can't be a*red reading through all the pages when I want to check it.

I graciously found it for you Mods!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56203686&postcount=57

Your wish is my command, yada yada yada... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm disappointed at the lack of Ann & Barry books in the Book Club listing...

.. for shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

My English teacher ruined several books for me by too much talk.

Aye, but did English class have wine? I think not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Ok so far we have Xiney, maaaybe Takola and myself :eek:

Just want to check - it's the upstairs bar yeah? Haven't been there myself so I'll be the sweaty one in a tracksuit wandering around looking lost!

oh boy, only two people?

it might be a bit late, but if we postponed it to next week, would more people be able to make it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jot004

Hi, all.

I've just had a book published called, Sleepwalker, in any of you would be interested n reading it and giving me feedback. It's in Easons and Hodges Figgis and soon in Waterstones and some Dubray's. I'd be interested in any feedback, even if you don't like it. It's published by Somerville Press.

Also, I'd be interested to hear what anybody is reading at the moment. I just finished Philip Roth, The Professor of Desire. It was excellent. I've just begun Haruki Murakmai's South of the Border, west of the Sun and also, on the non-fiction part, I'm reading The State of Africa, whcih is excellent.

John Toomey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jot004

I'm back. Just in case you don't trust the judgement of a complete stanger - me - here are some of the endorsements/reviews of my book:

'John Toomey has a radar tuned to a high frequency. This is a funny, smart, intuitive book. It captures turn of the century Dublin, the moment when a very new thorn entered the skin.' Colum McCann (Author)

'Toomey's majestic despatch from the capital of the Republic of Boredom is that rare thing: a novel for our times in an age when novels are generally thought to be a thing apart from reality and its depiction - challenges to other novelists, fancy footwork in the literary Olympics, award fodder, mere entertainment. It is also a gauntlet thrown down to other novelists, a knowing first foray into the crucible of novel writing, deserving of any shortlist, and hugely entertaining. I can't praise it highly enough.' John Waters (Author and Irish Times columnist)

'Significant achievement' Senator David Norris

'Energetically entertaining first novel.' Patrick Skene Catling (Irish Times)

JT

Xiney wrote: »
    Aye, but did English class have wine? I think not!!

Wines, imported beers and occasionally soft drugs. Why? Didn't yours?:confused::D

Yeah, maybe it might be an idea....it's a pity but we'd get a lot more out of it if we had decent numbers.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking I'd rather postpone it

No offense or anything but two people a book club does not make - and um... on a personal note, it's raining. I haven't finished the book. And my inlaws are coming over.

(Please kill me)

Hahahaha, that no worries! I was thinking the same myself. We'll do it next week and we'll make sure we have enough to have a good old wine soaked chat!

And good luck with the in-laws!

Postponing it sounds like a good idea. I was looking forward to it but I'm a definite no no for tonight! And it's rank out!

Maybe we'll have a bigger crowd next week too

Good stuff, looking forward to next week then.

...now to clean the house!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

I haven't had a chance to get that book yet. Currently reading 'Zodiac'- it was made into a film it's not bad

Madge wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to get that book yet. Currently reading 'Zodiac'- it was made into a film it's not bad
    The film is fantastic.. directed by David Fincher (who directed 'Fight Club' and 'Seven' to name two).

Haven't read the book yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

basquille wrote: »
    The film is fantastic.. directed by David Fincher (who directed 'Fight Club' and 'Seven' to name two).

OOH, I didn't know that! Fight Club & Seven are excellent films. Must go down and rent this one so

Madge wrote: »
    Must go down and rent this one so
    It's currently in the sale in Zavvi for €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I was assuming I'd be reading about all the sore heads after the 'book club' kicked off last night...

• Advertisement

I was assuming I'd be reading about all the sore heads after the 'book club' kicked off last night...
    Yeah, the only thing they planned on reading was the labels on a few bottles of wine.

Oooooooooh.. sick burn! :D

Advertisement