Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Here is the conversation I expected to have:
    Takola: Oooooh my head is killing me...
    Me: How was the book?
    Takola: Huh...? What book?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Here is the conversation I expected to have:
    Takola: Oooooh my head is killing me...
    Me: How was the book?
    Takola: Huh...? What book?
    Hungover I just couldn't cope with you Chimpy. I'd just ban you for the day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Madge wrote: »
    OOH, I didn't know that! Fight Club & Seven are excellent films. Must go down and rent this one so

Also did the Game (Excellent!) and Panic Room (Meh!)

I would go to these book club meetings but by the sounds of it I wouldn't be reading the same books as you guys?!

More of a James Patterson fan myself!

Gillie wrote: »

I would go to these book club meetings but by the sounds of it I wouldn't be reading the same books as you guys?!

Well in all fairness, we've already established that I'm more into fantasy books than what's on the list. It's about reading books you wouldn't normally choose (imo). I'm hoping to add a couple of my favourites to the list if all goes to plan and alot of people might not usually read them. It's give and take really.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, big Fincher fan myself.

Own all his films (even the 3 disc edition of the 'Meh!' Panic Room)! :D

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    Yep, big Fincher fan myself.

Own all his films (even the 3 disc edition of the 'Meh!' Panic Room)! :D

Just didn't do it for me.

Loved the Game. Brilliant movie.

In relation to the book club. I might try and read Ulyses (sp?) again.
    Will that get me in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'm pretty sure you could come down and talk books in general I suppose :)

I'm going to continue reading Lullabies for Little Criminals in the interim between next week and the next book (get ahead? pah!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Have you read 'Sail' yet? I keep hearing enticing ads for it on the radio :)

Madge wrote: »
    Have you read 'Sail' yet? I keep hearing enticing ads for it on the radio :)

Not yet! Must get it soon. I've read everything of JP's except:
    Santakid, Suzanne's diary and the other Weepy one, and the Maximum Ride series.

In one of his books Cross comes up against a nemisis called Michael Sullivan whose nickname is "The Butcher of Sligo".
    I emailed JP and asked him where he got the name etc. but he never replied!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

I've a good few ideas for the book club
    first of all since we all use the net we could use this site http://www.goodreads.com/
    which would allow everyone to show all their books and reading interests on their page once they join
    Its definetly worth signing up It really broadens your reading horizons and friendships as well
    also we could set up an online group on the site and keep track of events
    http://www.goodreads.com/event
    heres my books on it
    http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/336620
    the possiblities from there are endless
    ne one interested in joining me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

That sounds like a good idea hupyago, will give it a gander! Unfortunately I've had to move desks at work, so now my computer screen is right in the firing line of any number of managers who patrol past me. This had lead to a serious reduction in time spent online! On a brighter note, who knew I could be so productive when not spending hours and hours on boards every day! :D

So what's the story for tonight? Who's in?

I'm in!

Although I think I'll be avoiding the cocktail bar - I had one last Friday and it was 9 euro! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

9 euro, in The Glasshouse? That is frightfully expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

I'm out. Still at work and there is no chance of me leaving earlier than 9.

:mad:

Can you tell I'm annoyed?!!

hmmm.

am I going to show up and see no-one? who's headed down? Takola?

ETA: That's terrible lemon, I hate when that happens :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Sorry, I can't make it. :o

well.

I'm still at home.

I hope takola's not there waiting :(

I'll head down on the bike and take a gander. Look for a girl with a book, that type of deal, then probably head home I'm guessing! Or else get drunk. Who knows what this crazy canadian will do!?

Adios!

Sorry, I'm a no-show too!

This isn't working very well at all. Next week? :confused:

LOL

yeah, we totally suck at this!

Right, next week for sure or this really isn't going to work at all!

How about discussing it here? Real life seems to be getting in everyones way.

• Advertisement

we could do that if everyone is up for it :)

I had actually thought that myself. :D

Right so.

So...who liked the book?!

It was pretty good, although I will admit to thinking that the only reason it had received so much praise is because the middle east is a hot topic right now.

The life of women in afghanistan throughout regime changes was interesting, although there wasn't much there that I didn't already know.

I thought the conclusion was it's strongest part by far. Everything leading up to it was kind of vanilla.

Xiney wrote: »
    It was pretty good, although I will admit to thinking that the only reason it had received so much praise is because the middle east is a hot topic right now.

The life of women in afghanistan throughout regime changes was interesting, although there wasn't much there that I didn't already know.

I thought the conclusion was it's strongest part by far. Everything leading up to it was kind of vanilla.

The Middle East is a hot topic now.What exactly did you mean by that? You mean it is at the forefront right now, brought out in the open and fighting for change? It has been kept down and isolated for the last 25 years and now people are taking notice. What about Iran in the 70's and 80's during the Ayatollah years? People are now talking about it mainly because of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and the resent Nuclear concern, and of course the ongoing trouble between Israel and Palestine. It has always been a topic of huge interest but sadly neglected by the press.

DenMan wrote: »
    The Middle East is a hot topic now.What exactly did you mean by that? You mean it is at the forefront right now, brought out in the open and fighting for change? It has been kept down and isolated for the last 25 years and now people are taking notice. What about Iran in the 70's and 80's during the Ayatollah years? People are now talking about it mainly because of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and the resent Nuclear concern, and of course the ongoing trouble between Israel and Palestine. It has always been a topic of huge interest but sadly neglected by the press.

Denman this thread is for the Book Club. Your point may be better off in the Politics Forum maybe?

I felt when I was reading it that maybe I had in a way become used to the daily grind of life in Afghanistan after reading the Kiterunner. This was the aspect I loved about the Kiterunner, and I was a little disappointed with this book, but maybe it was just this book itself wasn't as gripping.

In the interest of responding to your post DenMan,

it's a hot topic in the media currently, is what I meant.

It's always been worthy of discussion, of course.

And yes, please do try to keep your posts in this thread vaguely on the topic of the book and its associated meetings...

If any of the topics I have mentioned are relevant to the book in question then they have every place for discussion in the Book Club. If not then I would gladly (and have done so before) take them elsewhere. Thank you.

I haven't read the kiterunner. It's good I take it? I may get it if I can and have a read.

I enjoyed it. Maybe because I haven't read the Kiterunner so I wasn't familiar with the daily life in Afghanistan. If anything I've buried my head in the sand when it comes to the middle east and haven't read/thought much about it and wouldn't have been at all aware of exactly what it was like there. It was eye opening in that sense.

The story was good although there were times when I thought it jumped a little to quickly. IE. When they decided to run away, it was imo quite abrupt although I understood the reasoning.

I didn't think the ending fit. It was too fairytale like. The whole book was sad, and Miriam in the end was sad but then for everything to just work out was bit too fairytale for me. Not realistic at all.

• Advertisement

oh yeah, the very very ending was way too perfect.

However,
    the part where miriam whacks that asshole over the head with a shovel, that was my favourite :D

Advertisement