Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sticky goo from insurance holders

Options
  • 08-06-2008 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Anybody got any tips for removing the goo from the windscreen. I replaced the traditional holder with some specially crafted school book clear cover film to make the windscreen look neater and have a good bit of residue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Let the sun shine on it and then rub it down with a cloth dowsed in white spirits. (In case there is no sunshine, a bit of heat from a hairdryer will do also)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Try some petrol and after clean it down after with windowlean or a similar cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Hair dryer should do the job:D

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Nail polish/varnish remover.
    Dab it on a cloth.
    Rub away the stickness.
    Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Autoglym Tar and glue remover, this is very good stuff.

Worth buyin a bottle for about €8, you can de-tar the whole paint work espcially around the doors and wheel arches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Try windolene and newspaper usually works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

luder wrote: »
    Worth buyin a bottle for about €8, you can de-tar the whole paint work espcially around the doors and wheel arches

Spent about 7 hours(i know) doing that, very good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

None of the above will work, you'll have to replace the windscreen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Warm water and elbow grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

cant give any advise but all i know is i misread the title and thought for some reason people with insurance were leaving some form of goo on your car. weird :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Nail polish remover is brilliant for this (contains acetone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

ZygOte wrote: »
    cant give any advise but all i know is i misread the title and thought for some reason people with insurance were leaving some form of goo on your car. weird :pac:

Ditto :D. Defiantly a hair dryer and lots of elbow grease. Set the dryer on low though so you don't heat any interior plastics too much by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Spit. I'm serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Cheers for all the suggestions guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

WD40 worked for me, but if you get it on any of the interior around it you just end up with a different "sticky goo" problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

ceramic hob scrapper might work - power city do a good one.

Advertisement