Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing for Pike and Perch

Options
  • 08-06-2008 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

Ive been reading articles and scanning the wb lately for info on this method of fly-fishing. It seems like an effective way of getting normally inaccessible fish, and seems like an exciting style of strike.

has anybody here tried it out? i intend to give it a bash sometime soon but im not 100% sure on size of rods/lines etc to use. Also unsure of leaders/casts/braiding etc, i dont want to use my river trout tackle for it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

get a 9 or 10wt rod and line...15 or 20lb nylon leader 30lb trace and away you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

get a 9 or 10wt rod and line...15 or 20lb nylon leader 30lb trace and away you go.

slow down there lad, hold on, im used to tyimg in about 6 inches of maybe 8lb leader direct to my fly line with a loop, then i just tye a metre of 1-2lb cast line and then the dry fly.

what do ya mean 30lb trace?, should i use weight forward? is there a special rigout for pike? how do you join a 30lb trace(steel?) to a leader? do you use a normal pike fishing trace with all the wee snaps and swivels or do ya make it up? and how do you attach the fly to the cast? and would you cast and retrieve as normal for trout?

as i said, ive never done thos before, explanaitions please im raw novice re pike fly-fishing!

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I have attached around 6-8 inches of 7 strand trace directly to all my pike flies with a small swivel at the oposite end to attach it to the leader(keeps the weight down), i dont see any point in using any more than 10 or 12lb leader because a fly rod wont compress anywhere near that and makes it easier to get out of snags when a pike wraps you around every lilly pad and tree root he can find which happens a bit on the fly, I have started to use a braided trace which can be tied normaly to a pike fly and this is great both for fly fishing and fixed spool, lures and baits move more naturally in the water.
    Fly fishing for pike is very exciting and productive from a float tube with pike often taking the fly from almost under the tube, makes your heart go:eek:

Ive also had good results fly fishing for Perch mostly on rivers about this time of year with an epoxy minnow, light gear like your normal trout gear is best for perch, ive had perch over 2lb on the fly on a river that i keep close to my chest;) massive perch dwell there and nothing fights harder than a good sized perch or small pike on the canals with light gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

I have attached around 6-8 inches of 7 strand trace directly to all my pike flies with a small swivel at the oposite end to attach it to the leader(keeps the weight down), i dont see any point in using any more than 10 or 12lb leader because a fly rod wont compress anywhere near that and makes it easier to get out of snags when a pike wraps you around every lilly pad and tree root he can find which happens a bit on the fly, I have started to use a braided trace which can be tied normaly to a pike fly and this is great both for fly fishing and fixed spool, lures and baits move more naturally in the water.
    Fly fishing for pike is very exciting and productive from a float tube with pike often taking the fly from almost under the tube, makes your heart go:eek:

Ive also had good results fly fishing for Perch mostly on rivers about this time of year with an epoxy minnow, light gear like your normal trout gear is best for perch, ive had perch over 2lb on the fly on a river that i keep close to my chest;) massive perch dwell there and nothing fights harder than a good sized perch or small pike on the canals with light gear.

thanks, very good answers etc.

btw, i might go out with my dad next week in the boat (he is seasoned pike/perch spinners'n'worms) and have the fryin pan etc, he just hit the big perch on the move around a certain island on a certain lake;) and id love to catch a few perch while he is usin his usual method (i never managed to get him into the fly fishing) just for the craic.... now im all set up for this time of year. light river rod, dt line (not sure of measure) etc, reckon ill just stick on a muddler minnow or something similar and let it sink first and do that mad "rod under left arm-pit hand-over-hand retrieving!! just to pee him off! lol!

Advertisement