Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 done and dusted

Options
  • 08-06-2008 5:34pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else home? Had a great day. Started out with most of the boards crew and ended up doing the entire route with Niceonetom and Sy, who made for great riding companions. Only really suffered on Slieve Maan but managed to get back into the groove afterwards. Of course it was at this point that Raam and Rogerb passed me,looking decidedly cheerful too. 7:55 ride time on my computer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Not quite the W200 but completed the wicklow100. First real distance I’ve attempted in my blossoming career. Superb weather throughout the day. The sun seemed to always predict when we were climbing, hide behind the clouds and on the descents would come back out. Although i know you 200 guys don’t consider the 100 as climbs, heh. Great cycling as a group. So much easier than soloing it. If you want to increase or reduce pace there was always a pack to slot behind.

I wasn’t aware the first stop was an unofficial stop. No water, no sandwichs just powerbars. Continued 10-15km down the road after which i was starving so bought a sandwich in some coffee shop. Hopped back on the bike, literally 20metres up the road was the first official stop. Sandwichs galore, Father Ted Mrs doyle-esque stacked up to the ceiling, tea, bars etc. Was raging i paid for food and water. Nevermind. Staff were exceptionally friendly. Smiles all round.

With 10km to go i broke away from my friend and increased the pace. 100km on the speedometer. Hmmm should be in UCD. 102km on the speedometer. Hmmm probably not marked correctly. 105km on the speedometer. Damm im lost better ask passers by where the feck i am. 110km on the speedometer and i roll into UCD. See my friend there already signed out. Ha

Great day

Distance: 110km
    Time: 4hours, 44minites
    Average speed: 23km, i think
    Calories: 2050

Cycling home through town stopped at the lights outside Tara street dart station some teenage girl "oh my gawd boards"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Great day indeed. Started a bit late- got to UCD around 7, not expecting the size of that queue! Got going around 7:20, meeting DirkVoodoo as he was checking in. Passed TinyExplosions in Laragh apparently (I went to the cafe, he was at the pub) - met him at the Donard checkpoint as I was leaving. Met Planet X on top of Slieve Maan, and KenMc back at UCD- scanned back in at 16:31 and had burger with Ken. I didn't quite catch ElTonto or Niceonetom but I think it was close, Ken was saying that Tom had refused the offer of a lift to Blanchardstown and was heading off on his bike. That is just insane.

Total ride time was 7h39, total time overall around 9h. Faster than last year but also found it a lot easier this year: a bit lower gearing on the bike, light wheels and made sure to stick in a bunch on the flats. (Last point was key I reckon!)

Great to put some names to faces, I'll have to head out on the Saturday spins with ye a bit. Well done all!
    c0rk3r wrote:
    Cycling home through town stopped at the lights outside Tara street dart station some teenage girl "oh my gawd boards"
    Absolute classic; I look forward to wearing that kit around the place. For extra effect did you have your medal around your neck!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

was just out at my shops at lambs cross and there are still a lot coming down, not finished for everyone yet! Mostly they looked like 'proper' cyclists too..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I created a page on the Wiki and put up some of my photos- anyone else who has any could add them. Mostly a bit boring and taken while on the bike (obviously wasn't doing this when going fast or in a group.)

Particularly notable is the crazy guy on the Royal Mail delivery bike I reckon. Passed him fixing something on the Slieve Maan climb but he was ahead of me again after Rathdrum! I couldn't quite make out if it was a fixie or a hub gear, but I noticed he was standing on the climbs.

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Wicklow_200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

blorg wrote: »
    For extra effect did you have your medal around your neck!

Heh yeah i did. Also when i got lost i got a beep and a thumbs up but whether this was because of the jersey or just a general "gwan you good thing" gesture i dont know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

man thgat was fun! by "fun" i mean torture!! Ended up 8:00:03 on my timer. wanted to break 8 but unfortuantely it wasnyt to be. my chain came off 5 times in the last 5 k!! great day. really wish i had done some more training. longest distance was about 80k before this! rode wiyth sean kelly's group for a good bit but had a bag which made it uncomfortable, especially for the climbs, so i lost them towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Hard to say exactly how long it took me, as my computer was running since I left home this morning (and got lost with Tom :) ). Left with Ken, Tom etc etc, but got dropped around Glencree or so (as expected). went round a lot of the coure with Dub_Skav, and Empty (finished just ahead of him, but only cos he went the wrong way in Enniskerry).

Was good to see everyone in their gear, and had a fab, albeit painful time :)

Glad to be home, and bloody achey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

W200 took me about 10h 15m from swipe to swipe. Happy to be alive, because I died hundreds of time. Age 57 and not a lot of training (9 outings). Cramp a few times before Donore. The guy serving the tea very kindly got me a carton of Saxa salt to spice up my water bottles. Cramped 50 yards up Slieve Maan.
    Many times on the way around I was passed by / passed a guy riding a Langster single speed (not fixed). He wasn't a young guy. I was glad to shake his hand in Belfield afterwards and congratulate him.
    And thanks to Planet X for waiting for me in Belfield afterwards.

Anyone know the W200 distance? I had 198.8 on my computer, and I started it a few hundreds yards up the road after the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i had it at 194 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Didn't take on the 200 but me and my mate decided to do the 100 but to stick with the 200 route at the first separation junction so that we could do the climb to Glencree and the Sally Gap. That put an extra 20km on us and though it was tough it meant we felt we had a taste of what the 200 must be like.

Seriously fair play to anyone doing the 200 cos it's pretty damn hardcore going.

We did our route in 6 hours and were pretty happy with that given neither of us had any training done....I'm now inclined to agree with my girlfriend that it was a bit mad to take that on after first hearing about it from a call from my mate on Friday and with me going in for 4 fasciotomy surgeries on the legs on Tuesday, but surely pushing yourself beyond your boundaries is what this kinda thing is all about? We were no flyers but the sense of achievement at the finish line was something I won't forget for a while and it's defo gonna tempt me to train to do the 200 next year.

Saw a few boards.ie jerseys and they look slick alright and said hello to a few we met out and about, finished with boards.ie rider number 1135 in our group - mentioned to him about boards but got cut off and didn't get a chance to get back to him as from that point survival was the main focus cos the last 20km were a nightmare for me - not the legs just the ass cos feckin hell when you ain't sat in a saddle for more than 2 hours it gets pretty damn uncomfortable after 5 hours!

Anyone got any good tips for managing recuperation? Did some stretches in the shower and then had a cold shower and 3 hours kip and plenty of fluids but reckon I'll be a few days shaking this off.

Right, I'm off to do a Leslie Neilson outta Naked Gun and sit my ass down in a bucket of ice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Painful but rewarding day out. Well done to all on finishing, glad to hear your cramps allowed you to finish emty. Had a shocking start and was dropped by everybody at powerscourt waterfall. Sally got me into the swing of things and i caught tiny and stayed with him until rathdrum. Clocked 8 hours 48 minutes on my computer, happy with that. I reckon my cold is worth at least an hour off that time though (come on guys, give me something). So when's the celebration pints?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i've been home for about 2 hours now, washed, deep-heated, re-hydrated and even caught a few ZZzzzzs... in front of the TV :)
    "Great" day, but I suspect I'll be suffering for the week.
    My comp has 9h24 total time including stops, need to work out the ride time. Caned it from Enniskerry to make it under 9h30 having failed to make 9h.
    196.14km, 20.8km/h avg, 72.7km/h max.
    Met Hungrycol, damobrew and Bunnygreen en-route, also Blorg at then end and of course started with Tiny, Tom, Emty, Harpz and Roger. @ElTonto, Peter and Roger left me for dead at the start of Slieve Maan too, they were really flying - I was trying to word the 'for sale' notice for my bike :(
    My first (and at the moment, last) W200 all done and dusted. Thanks all and well done.

edit: stuck my ride up on motionbased which puts my moving time as 8h20, with a stopped time if 1h05 - sure didn't feel like I stopped for that long! I'm dead chuffed with that time though! Next time I won't stop! :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The boards kit looks fantastic and it was great to see so many people wearing it at the start. Can't wait to pick up mine now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Fair dues to everyone who finished this year. I'll be joining ye next year I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

Home washed and foddered.

Had bit of a soul search on Slieve Maan, but there is alot to be said for running in a group. Spent 80% of the time on my own after Slieve Maan as my nature pace seemed to differ than everyone else.

Bit frustrating coming thru town as some of the road markings were not too obvious although thankfully didn't get lost. I was trying to beat 7.30 ride time so was caning it to try and get in ended up 7'40 to realise the clock had being ticking since I left home and there was an extra 6 miles on there.

Saw ye boards guys at the start so glad to hear everyone got back okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

el tonto wrote: »
    The boards kit looks fantastic and it was great to see so many people wearing it at the start. Can't wait to pick up mine now.

Well done indeed to ye all I seen the a lot of guys heading back thru dundrum about 5-6. And a few of the boards guys too no idea who ye were but I beeped !!! And the Jersey does indeed look great.!
    Hopefully I'll be joining in next year with a couple of mates.!

Was there many people on hybrids or was it mainly racer styles. Might just get a lend of a good bike for next year.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

People did it on singlespeeds ! Wow ! I have no excuse now. Well done to the lot of yee.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I did the 100 and finished it in a time of 4:21. Absolutely delighted with myself as it's the biggest spin and first thing of this type that I've ever done. I saw somebody in splendid looking boards kit peel off to the right at Enniskerry when I was heading left. Personally I found the Sugar Loaf hill the toughest part but it's just a matter of keeping a nice, constant easy pace.

Seriously fair play to yous doing the 200 - and there are some really good times there. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Well done to everyone who was out yesterday. On the day I saw TinyExplosions, but only at the start. Out on the road past EnnisKerry I passed some guy in boards kit, so I called out to him, I think it was Dirk Voodoo, maybe. I wasn't wearing mine because I ordered a size too small :( I was in Francaise De Jeux kit instead.
    Saw Emty near Lough Tay, he was going well.
    Saw RTD in Donard with his puncture, unlucky.
    Saw KenMc, El Tonto and NiceOneTom at Slieve Mann. We were all suffering there :)
    Did the whole thing with RogerB.

Saw a load of other boards jerseys also,but didn't recognise the faces.

It was a great day and the weather was perfect. It took me 7hrs ride time, but I took good breaks at the rest stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

Slieve Maan. bloody 'eck. Men from boys stuff, that.
    Door to door in 11 hours. Very happy with it, first time and all that. Again next year? Maybe. At the moment I'm just wondering if knee-replacement surgery can be done by oneself in the privacy of one's home.

EDIT: fair amount of giving out going on on the Wicklow200.ie forum at the moment re. the route markings. I had no trouble following them, but it seems others did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Slieve Maan. bloody 'eck. Men from boys stuff, that.
    Door to door in 11 hours. Very happy with it, first time and all that. Again next year? Maybe. At the moment I'm just wondering if knee-replacement surgery can be done by oneself in the privacy of one's home.

EDIT: fair amount of giving out going on on the Wicklow200.ie forum at the moment re. the route markings. I had no trouble following them, but it seems others did.

We had problems just before Donard, there was a lleft turn of the N81 that appeared to have a very old sign on, so we assumed it was from last year, and so stayed an extra few k on the road, which meant we had a bitch of a climb into Donard :)

Also, I think we came the wrong way into Rathdrum due to signage too, but at that stage I think I was to knackered to notice!

I thought some of the route markings were dodgy. We were left questioning ourselves a few times, but we managed to stay on route, so it wasn't too bad.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

fair amount of giving out going on on the Wicklow200.ie forum at the moment re. the route markings. I had no trouble following them, but it seems others did.

I don't know what these people are on about. The route was incredibly well signposted. Can't log into the W200 forum for some reason to say my bit.
    We had problems just before Donard, there was a lleft turn of the N81 that appeared to have a very old sign on, so we assumed it was from last year, and so stayed an extra few k on the road, which meant we had a bitch of a climb into Donard

That was our only hitch along the way as well. We blew past that sign as well and there was a bit of "was that the sign?" chat in the bunch. Before we could think of turning back we found a different road into Donard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I thought the markings were pretty good apart from Donard as already stated. Also, the stretch from Djouce to Enniskerry was a little lacking in markings, but Enniskerry was sign-posted so it asn't too bad.

I clocked the distance at 199.05, av speed 22.5, max speed 66.5

Not sure about next year yet as I'm still having difficulty sitting down but I'd like to give it a go with some more training begind me.

I ask again, what about celebration pints? Where's RtD he'd be up for it.

Edit: Forgot to say, great work on the gear Tiny, also have to thank Mrs Tiny for picking it all up

I had no probs with the signage either.
    Stiff and sore today though! I'm hanging the bike up for the week I think, let the knees recover. :) Was in bed at 9:30. Unheard of.

dub_skav wrote: »

Yeah, we deserve it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

el tonto wrote: »
    I don't know what these people are on about. The route was incredibly well signposted. Can't log into the W200 forum for some reason to say my bit.

That was our only hitch along the way as well. We blew past that sign as well and there was a bit of "was that the sign?" chat in the bunch. Before we could think of turning back we found a different road into Donard.
    It wasn't a huge slam. The person on the forum only mentioned that particular turn and the markings coming back through Dundrum in general. And I agree with them. There was an unmarked junction just after Stepaside that threw a few people. (It's a bit of a pain having to stop for directions after 190km when your legs just want to get you home.) Also the roundabout before the Dundrum Shopping Centre was poorly marked - the signs directed us onto the bike path, which goes left. As I shot off to the left I saw the markings on the road pointing straight through. Cue a few minutes waiting for traffic to clear to get back onto the route. And one or two junctions after that (under the Luas bridge etc.) didn't appear to be marked at all. Again, I realise most people had a good idea where they were going at that stage, but after 195 odd km the brain isn't at its freshest!

These are just very minor niggles. All in all a fantastic event, well run by very friendly people (all the way from check-in, to the rest stop / food volunteers, marshals etc). A big thank you to everyone involved.
    [PS One last thing - plain water at the top of Slieve Mann would be nice!]

Donard? Where's the nearest bike shop to there for a spare tyre? I'd be up for a few scoops as part of the carbo-reloading process. We did such a good job picking a design for the jersey we can SURELY pick a venue and a date :)
    Edit: Forgot to say, great work on the gear Tiny, also have to thank Mrs Tiny for picking it all up
    Hear Hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

also, i must say that the boards.ie kit looked ace. fair play.

+1 re. water at the top of slieve maan, though. i would have sucked down a gallon of the stuff if it was available. couldn't stomach what was being given out at all.

• Advertisement

I didn't mind the stuff at the top of Slieve Maan too much, but then again I still had one full bottle of water to spare. They also gave me an energy gel, which I scarfed down in Rathdrum. I don't know whether it was that or the Mars bar I got there, but I was flying for the final 50k.

Advertisement