Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 done and dusted

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I did have a few problems with the road markings from Hollywood to Slieve Maan. This is the problem area, as most are familiar with Glencree, Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap, and the return from Rathdrum. I tried following a group, but lost them at a crossroads (Kiltegan?). They went left, I went right.

Why not put detailed route description on the website e.g. from xxxx 3.4 km to crossroads at xxxx, left turn and 7.0 km to T-junction at xxxx, turn left and 5.8 km to xxxx. If they did I would print it out and tape it to my bike. A detailed description would be better than what is on the website "by then you will be tired and enjoy your cup of tea at Donard etc."

I bought a new bib last week - Santini Twist Gel from prendas.co.uk. A bit of Sudocrem and the new bib = no problems in that area. I had major problems two weeks ago on a 120k training run using a cheaper bib.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Did the 100 yesterday, delighted, about 50 k longer than anything I've done before. Had a great day out and am sporting a damn fine farmers tan today!

+1 for the Boards jerseys, thought they really looked the part!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

el tonto- you can post on the W200 forum without logging in, just leave the password field blank. I had no problems following the signage, and I wouldn't be familiar with it at all past the Wicklow Gap or before Roundwood on the way back. Was generally with groups who wouldn't have been familiar either. But in places like Dundrum I would know where to go anyway so wasn't really looking- the turn off in Dundrum wasn't meant to send people onto the bike lane but the road, but then I know that because I'm familiar with the area. Not sure what you mean by a junction after Stepaside as it was straight on all the way from Eniskerry through the Dundrum (although no harm to paint "straight on" markings at all junctions anyway.)

Anyone feeling in bits- take it easy and you may find the recovery surprisingly quick, I'm already feeling a lot better this morning and hope to be 95% back to normal by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

I did the lesser known Wicklow 120km. Coming down into roundwood i saw a large group of riders flying along and presumed this was a point where the WW100 and 200 merged. I happily tucked in behind them and it was only when i got to Laragh for a second time I realised my mistake. Was pretty sheepish when i saw the clearly marked sign at the turn in roundwood.
    Really enjoyed the cycle though. Was only my second time riding in a group(made 1 boards midweek spin). Got 1 puncture and 1 blow out. I didnt have a spare tyre but luckily the support van was nearby and had me fixed up in no time.
    Really like the jersey. Thanks again Tiny.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm keeping an eye out for the photos on the Wicklow 200 site. They went up within a day last year. Don't think I was caught by the photographer on the day though, which is a shame because myself and Niceonetom were preparing our best 'race faces' for any snaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Maybe ambitious, but how about a few scoops tonight? I (and possibly a few others!) have the day off, so shall we say from about 5.30 in The Church (ex church pub just opposite McDonalds on Mary St), or is it too soon?

I certainly think it wouldn't be much to ask for the organisers of the 200 to do up a google maps route of the course, like my attempt this morning!

Oh, and also my thoughts on the day can be found, here

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Sounds tempting, but unlike the rest of you lot, I'm back in work today and still have the house guests over. A get together some weekend soon would be great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Here's my map of yesterdays route:
    http://gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=cfqkldylzbshujaa

Great day out, very lucky with the weather. 7h 17m riding time, 7h 43m total. Saw plenty of Boards jersies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah we could do a spin up to foxes or something for a few pints, or the summit in howth as previously suggested :) pints tonight don't really suit me I'm afraid

Right so far pretty much everyone has checked in bar
    RtD
    Niceonetom
    emty....

I passed dub_skav and Guillame on Dundrum road as I was heading back up home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Getting the thumbs up from Ken when I was nearly there was the highlight of my day. Well not really, but it was good to see a familiar face

I'm in work today too, so don't think pints really suit either. Thursday or Friday this week maybe?

• Advertisement

grand, end of the week so -will start a new thread later :)

Morgan wrote: »
    7h 17m riding time, 7h 43m total.
    You certainly didn't spend much time stopped, that is very quick for the controls/refills etc. Do you urinate from the saddle like a pro :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Fair play to all who done the wicklow will have to do it next yr definately !!

Have to say them boards jerseys look the part, where do u get them or how do u get them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

blorg wrote: »
    Morgan wrote:
    7h 17m riding time, 7h 43m total.
    You certainly didn't spend much time stopped, that is very quick for the controls/refills etc. Do you urinate from the saddle like a pro :eek:
    I was 8h19m riding time, with total of 9h54m (1h35m rest).

My knees are killing me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

daymobrew wrote: »
    My knees are killing me today.

That'll be all the breaks - resting wrecks your knees ;)

Zorba wrote: »
    Fair play to all who done the wicklow will have to do it next yr definately !!

Have to say them boards jerseys look the part, where do u get them or how do u get them ?

They were ordered from http://www.fcarvalho-ciclismo.com/ -if you want one, get 9 others prepared to order, and then as me for the details -I'll add them to the wiki at some point too

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

I'm still alive anyway. Did about 204k in 8.50 riding time. As mentioned, got a puncture rolling into Donard(from the wrong direction) so front wheel wasn't as hard as I'd have liked for most of it after that, finally got my hands on a track pump at Ballinstoe.
    Slieve Mann deserves its reputation alright, at points I was just going fast enough to keep the bike upright. Learned a few things along the way in terms of which groups are worth being in and which groups not to try to keep up with as well. Was talking to Ventoux in Rathdrum also and he reaffirmed some of these points. All in all I'll be better tactically prepared for next year.
    Currently got a slight limp from a tight left calf and ridiculous tan lines starting on the biceps and finishing at the wrists.

Had one pint in my local last night, would be up for one later in the week alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

RtD wrote: »
    Slieve Mann deserves its reputation alright, at points I was just going fast enough to keep the bike upright.

innit. i'd say i averaged between 3.5 and 4 mph going up that stupid bloody hill. was having a long hard look at myself the whole way up.

innit. i'd say i averaged between 3.5 and 4 mph going up that stupid bloody hill. was having a long hard look at myself the whole way up.

Between 6 and 7kph myself... would have been easier/faster walking, but I didn't! Nearly did, but Frenchie arrived to save the day in the nick of time :)

Could have killed Hungrycol (I think it was him) who breezed up to me on Slieve Maan, said a few words, then with a 'Well, I'd better get on' breezed past me and off into the distance... I hate you talented b**tards :)

Could have killed Hungrycol (I think it was him) who breezed up to me on Slieve Maan, said a few words, then with a 'Well, I'd better get on' breezed past me and off into the distance... I hate you talented b**tards :)
    Don't worry, bad karma got him later on, he had to stop to change a slow puncture between rathdrum and roundwood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

My ride time was 7h32m and my total time was 8h45m. It was my first Wicklow 200 and, wow, what a great course! The mains climbs are grand once you find your rhythm - you've got to just stay within your limits and grind it out. For me, the real killer was all the rolling terrain. I found the Rathdrum to Roundwood section particularly draining for some reason. I dread to think what that bit would have been like with a stiff northerly blowing!

I must say though (and bear in mind my username), I was not at all impressed with the organisation of the thing. Some of the road markings were very poor and could easily be missed. Marshals seemed almost non-existent, even at dangerous junctions such as the two roundabouts that had to be negotiated in Dundrum on the final, frantic run in. The pre-packed sambos at Donard and Rathdrum don't come remotely close to the fantastic spread that is laid on at Caherciveen and Kenmare during the RoK. Back at UCD, the cheeseburger was OK but the chips were quite inedible. Useful signage around the campus was non-existent. I could go on...

There's a lot more to a top class sportif than just the course and so long as the current standards are maintained, W200 will never be top class. Perhaps somebody else should be running it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭WicklowRacer

My first 200, and really enjoyed it. Highlights were Wicklow Gap climb and riding with Kelly and Earley for a bit. Lowlights were struggling on Slieve Mann. It certainly helps if you know Wicklow well, there was a few quizzical moments for non-locals. I found the facilities pretty good, never running out of water or food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

I rode up Slieve Maan on 34x25 and was very grateful to have it. But at the top, I was talking briefly with some lunatic who had just come up on his 42x16 single speed, and looked none the worse for wear!

30x26. wished it was 26x30.

34x27... any lower and I'd not have been movin!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

39x32 (mtb cassette fitted the night before) - saved my ass a couple of times yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

Morgan wrote: »
    Here's my map of yesterdays route:
    http://gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=cfqkldylzbshujaa

Cheers for that. Am I reading it wrong or did we really do 13,188ft of climbing over the whole day?!

39x25 for me. Sy was regaling us with tales of the days when everyone rode a 42 tooth inner ring.
    cantalach wrote: »
    But at the top, I was talking briefly with some lunatic who had just come up on his 42x16 single speed, and looked none the worse for wear!

Was this the guy on the Langster? He seems to be one of the characters that everyone noticed. Was anyone talking to him? Was it doing it on an SS as a bet/challenge I wonder?

myself and blorg were talking to a girl in UCD (she did the etape 2 years ago and is doing it this year also!) who knew him - apparently he was doing the 200 with a friend/brother/colleague or something like that who didn't do a huge amount of cycling, so he was "taking it easy" so they could do it together :eek:(

• Advertisement

I had a 30x27 and I was very glad to have it on Slieve Maan. Straight down into my lowest gear at the start of that and was able to spin up at 60-90 RPM. Wasn't going to break any speed records but I did find it easier than grinding/standing.

EDIT: I accept that some "real" roadies may well classify the lower end of that cadence range as "grinding" ;-)

Advertisement