Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 done and dusted

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Kelly, having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Hi lads, saw this and had to reply!

Ye were a pain in the ass on my little roads! Barely wide enough and ye wouldnt keep over! :rolleyes: Ah it wasnt the boards boys didnt see the cool gear anyway!:D

Ah only jokin fair play lads, I couldnt do it! Its some distance, where did you have to cover if ya dont mind me asking?

You boys must be pretty fit! ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

look at me tryin to be all aerodynamic :)
    And you wonder why you have a pain in your back today!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Another boards jersey on the Wicklow Gap: 1 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Just wanted to say thanks again to Tiny for the gear and to add my apologies for not being clad in it on the day,had to wear the old school uniform,have to say it looks great though,went for a light turn of the legs this evening and very comfy it is.Nice to meet kenmc and niceonetom yesterday,sorry to have missed the others,look forward to meeting more boards,congrats to all that took part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Saw a few boards.ie jerseys and they look slick alright and said hello to a few we met out and about, finished with boards.ie rider number 1135 in our group - mentioned to him about boards but got cut off and didn't get a chance to get back to him as from that point survival was the main focus cos the last 20km were a nightmare for me

That was me!

Apologies for the profuse sweating and loud honking/breathing noises.

Not sure I remember that conversation to be honest, I think I may have blacked out by then. Did I meet you on a (sneaky) hill after coming down Djouce though?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

daymobrew wrote: »
    Found some boards jerseys:
    a, b, c.

None of me. :(

c = me , in pain............

blorg wrote: »
    Another boards jersey on the Wicklow Gap: 1 2

1 = me, more pain and suffering...........

I said hi to 3 people on blue Trek 5000s (none in boards kit) in case they happened to be you, trek_climber. I had that bike last year and was very happy with it until I crashed it ;-( Very comfortable bike, really seemed to absorb road buzz like nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Some good photos there.
    Glad he got the one of me, Tiny and Emty coming over the Wicklow Gap, I was worried he was just going for the flash git in the drop position and would leave the rest of us out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Jemmy wrote: »
    Its some distance, where did you have to cover if ya dont mind me asking?
    You boys must be pretty fit! ;):p
    The route we did is here:
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5934380

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

dub_skav wrote: »
    I was worried he was just going for the flash git in the drop position and would leave the rest of us out

There was someone behind me in the drop position? :)

Gotta try to look good for the cameras, although in that shot with you guys all relaxed in the background just serves to make me look a bit of a eejit :eek:

Incidentally, my cage ejected an yellow ONCE water bottle coming down off Lugalla while setting a new personal speed record of 87km/h and accidentally unclipping ;-( Turned around as soon as I noticed but after 500m climbing back up I decided to leave it ;-)

I'm going to head out that route this week and look for it but if anyone else happens across it, I'd appreciate if they let me know. Has a bit of a sentimental value and as the team is defunct I don't think you can get them any more. If anyone has pointers to where I can get a new one that will do fine ;-)

Hey Blorg, i want a pair of sandals like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Haydidily Ho neighbours,

Great day but found it tougher this year than last year only because I haven't put in as much training for it this year. A triple on Slieve Maan would have been most welcome. I had a poxy slow puncture with 30 to 40kms to go which was a huge pain in the knackers when all you want is to get home at that stage. Took yesterday off work to recover only to be roped in to doing some painting for me Ma! My knees were sore climbing stairs (and ladders) yesterday but feel cool-and-the-gang today.

Good to meet you Dirkvoodoo, Tiny, Dub Skav and Kenmc. I was in the Swords CC gear on the Cannondale. Have to check over my bike for racing tomorrow night. Think my headset may be a bit loose and my handle bar tape started to unravel.

Sorry Kenmc for not staying for a burger but between one thing and another I had to get going.

Tiny, we must arrange a time and place to get the boards jersey from you.

I said hi to 3 people on blue Trek 5000s (none in boards kit) in case they happened to be you, trek_climber. I had that bike last year and was very happy with it until I crashed it ;-( Very comfortable bike, really seemed to absorb road buzz like nothing else.

Have this bike over 18 months and am very happy with it. I up-graded the wheels earlier this year from Bontrager to Easton which made a big difference and just finished it off for me. Although on Slieve Mann I could have done with a small engine attached to it but thats a different story.
    Hope the crash wasn't too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Incidentally, my cage ejected an yellow ONCE water bottle coming down off Lugalla while setting a new personal speed record of 87km/h

My bottle on the down tube popped out there too. I was struggling with keeping it in place with one hand and keeping the bike steady with the other. I ended up shoving it into a jersey pocket. Almost fecked it away in frustration before that.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I had a poxy slow puncture with 30 to 40kms to go which was a huge pain in the knackers when all you want is to get home at that stage.
    Good to meet you Tiny,

In reverse order:

No problem with picking up the stuff, PM me or drop me a text any evening and I should be in.

Nice isn't the word to use for meeting you on Sunday... as stated earlier, I could hav happily killed you after the way you breezed up, chatted a bit, then wafted on up Slieve Maan as I was dying! Hearing about the slow puncture gave me a little solace I have to admit :D

Seriously though, it was good too see ya -always nice to put faces to names, even if I forget them 2 minutes later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

In reverse order:

No problem with picking up the stuff, PM me or drop me a text any evening and I should be in.

Nice isn't the word to use for meeting you on Sunday... as stated earlier, I could hav happily killed you after the way you breezed up, chatted a bit, then wafted on up Slieve Maan as I was dying! Hearing about the slow puncture gave me a little solace I have to admit :D

Seriously though, it was good too see ya -always nice to put faces to names, even if I forget them 2 minutes later!

Yeah, hungrycol fairly breezed by me too. It was nice to put faces to names though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭WicklowRacer

Raam wrote: »
    My bottle on the down tube popped out there too. I was struggling with keeping it in place with one hand and keeping the bike steady with the other. I ended up shoving it into a jersey pocket. Almost fecked it away in frustration before that.

I put velcro on mine - the double backed stuff. A strip on the cage and a strip on the bottle and it worked a treat !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Jeeze you guys make me sound like I'm good or someit:o. The pain was inside;) I was on a mission to catch up with a fellow Swords CC friend who started an hour before me. He phoned me when I was at Roundwood and told me that the broke a spoke coming into Laragh and ended up doing the 100km route :(

Would have like to have a bit more of a gander at your new Focus, Tiny. Spiffing machine.

I put velcro on mine - the double backed stuff. A strip on the cage and a strip on the bottle and it worked a treat !

I was gonna stick on a couple of those little plastic things that you put on the inside of cupboard doors to stop them banging. If that doesn't work, I'll give your solution a go.

Jeeze you guys make me sound like I'm good or someit:o. The pain was inside;) I was on a mission to catch up with a fellow Swords CC friend who started an hour before me. He phoned me when I was at Roundwood and told me that the broke a spoke coming into Laragh and ended up doing the 100km route :(

Would have like to have a bit more of a gander at your new Focus, Tiny. Spiffing machine.

Come out on one of the Saturday spins, and you can look all you want :)

Inside or not, you looked just that little bit too comfortable at what was almost my lowest point!

bunnygreen wrote: »
    Hey Blorg, i want a pair of sandals like yours.
    I got mine in Cycleways but you can get them from just about any bike shop that is a Shimano dealer, and that would be all of them ;-) They may of course have to order them in, although Cycleways had them in stock when I bought them (must be five years ago now.)

If you are pretty sure of your size (and being sandals they are not as critical as other shoes) you can get them widely from the internet. www.bikeplus.co.uk do a good combo shoe+pedal deal and I have bought from them before. But wherever is cheapest for them at the moment would work OK.

Note they are SPD only, you won't be able to use them with normal road pedal systems. The sole is flexier than a good road shoe and you won't get as good power transfer- but I do find them more comfortable for long events like the W200 ("it's not a race".) They are very walkable, much more so than other SPD shoes I have.

I did most of the Donard-Slieve Maan bit with these guys from Ulster - can't remember the name of the club. Their first. I kept saying, I remember this from last year, it's going to start any minute now- for around 25km!

IMG_9492.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

left ucd at 8am....arrived back at 8.30............10hr 20 ride time.....was with three others and we were virtually last back in to ucd....they were packing up as we left for carpark
    great sense of achievement......but the last time i'll ask santa for a bike for christmas:D

Hey treescape,well done ,thats great,keep it up.

IMG_9492.jpg

Nice kit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Haydidily Ho neighbours,

Great day but found it tougher this year than last year only because I haven't put in as much training for it this year. A triple on Slieve Maan would have been most welcome. I had a poxy slow puncture with 30 to 40kms to go which was a huge pain in the knackers when all you want is to get home at that stage. Took yesterday off work to recover only to be roped in to doing some painting for me Ma! My knees were sore climbing stairs (and ladders) yesterday but feel cool-and-the-gang today.

Good to meet you Dirkvoodoo, Tiny, Dub Skav and Kenmc. I was in the Swords CC gear on the Cannondale. Have to check over my bike for racing tomorrow night. Think my headset may be a bit loose and my handle bar tape started to unravel.

Sorry Kenmc for not staying for a burger but between one thing and another I had to get going.

Was I cycling along side you at some stage? Think I was, Sorrento gear. You a tall lad then? You mentioned the bar tape unravelling and a puncture before the start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Finished the 200 in just under 10 hrs. (8.40cycling).
    Doing easy stuff at the moment, the legs wouldnt let me even if I wanted to do more. Not that sore, just very tired.

How much time would I need to recover before resuming "normal" training?

Relatively new to cycling (I am a runner normally) but have been averaging about 200k per week for the last 6-7 weeks and maybe 70k per week running. Longest continuous cycle I did before was 70k although I did 6hrs of cycle run cycle in wicklow about a month ago.
    Any advice appreciated.

Advertisement