Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 done and dusted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Firstly, well done on your first 200! That is very impressive with such a short lead-up. If you are new I'd probably wait until you feel ready and the legs don't feel so tired although if you are just tired rather than sore that is a good sign. Make the first one a short one and take it from there.

Doing something else for a while can be a good idea: swimming is an obvious one as it uses completely different muscles. I did a lot of this last year, including immediately after my first W200 (next day.) Did some lengths at a gentle pace and I think I found this helpful for recovery. Mean to get back to it but the weather has been too good so I am on the bike!

Running might be a bit too close muscle-wise, it's still using the legs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

A load more photos went up tonight.

Very distant shot of me on the Wicklow Gap (front of group)
    Frenchie queuing for his lunch
    Unidentified boardsie showing his arse to the camera
    More boardsies on the Wicklow Gap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

el tonto wrote: »
    A load more photos went up tonight.
    RtD showing his arse to the camera
    Me (back) RtD I think (front) on the Wicklow Gap
    fixed
    W.H.Oami

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

kenmc wrote: »

Thats me........ about to reach top of Slieve Mann

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Planet X wrote: »
    Was I cycling along side you at some stage? Think I was, Sorrento gear. You a tall lad then? You mentioned the bar tape unravelling and a puncture before the start.

That was me alright and I did indeed break a valve pumping up my front wheel with Dirkvoodoo's mates track pump in ther carpark at the start! There was a few Sorrento lads out that day. Was it you were were chatting that some people thought that the Sorrento sportive a few weeks before was too hard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

i can confirm that the Sorrento sportive was very hard,although Blorg did it in his sandals.

Having now done them both I honestly thought the Wicklow 200 a walk in the park compared to the Mick Byrne 200. W200 was the easiest cycle of the last three weekends I have done (Mick Byrne 200, Dublin-Cork, W200.)

A big part of it was the sheer size- as there are so many people doing the W200 you are pretty much guaranteed to be able to get into a bunch on the flat bits. No such luck after I punctured on the Mick Byrne! Weather would also come into it naturally, and I wasn't medicated with my anti-histamines for the Mick Byrne which turned out to be a bad mistake.

The Mick Byrne was a great day all the same and very well organised, I know in some ways easier to organise with fewer people but I would say better than the W200. Signposting on it was excellent, I was able to find my way around the course entirely on my own after I punctured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Well done to everyone who completed the event, and especially 200km route. I did the 100km route on the day. I kept an eye out for Boards kits but I think you were probably all up the road - I left home around 08h30 and saw the first (numbered) cyclist just before Enniskerry (hope he made it round 'cos that was fairly late and he wasn't looking very comfortable even at that stage) and only started encountering people in any numbers just after Sugar Loaf.

'Twas a very enjoyable ride all in all. It's always easier to get round when you have the motivation of wheels ahead of you to chase.

I bumped into a bunch of people doing the Sorrento 100km a few weeks back. I just happened to come up behind them on the climb up Glenmacnass. At the time I didn't know what the event was so I hung a few bike lengths back from them (thought they were a club and I didn't want to disrupt any organised training they were doing). That was a mistake. They shed a few people up the climb but it was only when I had a quick chat with someone dropping back on the windy section to Sally Gap that I found out it was a randonee. At that stage I tried to get onto the back of the bunch but I bonked. The rest of the way home was tough going! Fair play to anyone that did 200km on that day.

Finally saw the Boards kit in the flesh yesterday though (someone cycling a Dawes along Clanbrassil Street) - it looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

RtD showing his arse to the camera

Yep, that's me just after fixing my puncture, you can see the dead tube by my feet. Still waiting to find a picture of me that's somewhat recognisable, nobody will be convinced I did it from the current lot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

blorg wrote: »
    Dublin-Cork

How long did it take to cycle this Blorg? Could never see myself cycling it in a day but t'would be some challenge all the same.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Didn't do it in 1 day as such but within 24 hours ;-) Left after work Thursday, 103km to Abbeyleix, stayed over there, then 191km on to Cork on Friday - almost all on back roads and went over "The Vee." Not a difficult climb at all but I completely bonked coming down and was a wreck the rest of the way to Cork (via Lismore and Fermoy.) Road surface on the Waterford side of the Vee, all the way to Fermoy, seemed really really bad and I had bad nausea and couldn't eat any more. 12 hours cycling time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Hey Blorg did you wear your sandals on the Cork cycle?.

bunnygreen wrote: »
    Hey Blorg did you wear your sandals on the Cork cycle?.
    Yes, they are good for long distances/touring and as I was spending the long weekend down there they were the only footwear I brought (reduced weight- just brought one pannier.) Started lashing rain just after I left Clonmel and the sandals are great for this (as long as the the rain is warm) as they dry off really quickly. Cleared up by the time I was heading up the Vee.

EDIT: Was on this bike, breaking in a new Brooks Swift in time for the W200. It was a bit of a battle between me and the saddle but I am happy to report that I won out in the end, it was broke, and very comfortable indeed on the W200 ;-) The Swift is definately more comfortable over distance than the B17 I did the MB200 on, more freedom of leg movement and no callousing whatsoever once broken in. Bottom was 100% after the W200 which was not the case before. I have since returned the Swift to the tourer and have commenced break in on a Swallow on the road bike.

th_the_vee.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

Blorg, I agree on the road from the Vee to Fermoy. Cycle those roads most weekends.
    Next time you come that way carry on through Lismore towards Tallow much better road.
    Turn right in Tallow heading for Rathcormac, this road is poor in spots, but it will save you a good 5 miles as you will not need to come through Fermoy.
    For what its worth the guys I cycle with rarely go over the Vee from the Cahir side because of the road surface on the decent.

Freddy- to avoid the main/"N" road from Lismore, I took the R666 to Fermoy, which certainly lived up to it's number ;-) Thanks for the tips, I honestly wasn't sure if it was just that I was a wreck at that point or if the road really was THAT bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

couple more photos:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    couple more photos:

Does my bum look big in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

What a bunch of athletes. Every photo I've seen of me reinforces sy's observation that I cycle with my knees out, really must work on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mugatu

Hi All,

First time post, but long time lurker. ;)

I completed the 100 at the weekend but also took an extra 20k on the day to climb the Sally Gap and Lugalla. I am only recently getting into cycling and that was my first event. Absolutely loved it and working on plans for the next one. I have to admit I now know what they mean why they refer to someone being "dropped" when cycling up a mountain as I was left for dead on those climbs up the Sally Gap. I plan to start doing more hills on the weekends to get the practice in, but sometimes during the week I use the gym.

Anyone got any suggestions for a decent training session in the gym to build up the legs? Or is hitting the road the only way to do it?

I saw a few guys with boards kit on the day and thought they looked class!!:cool:

niceonetom wrote: »
    couple more photos:
    Easy to spot me with the yellow "tennis ball" sticking out of my ass :(

• Advertisement

dub_skav wrote: »
    What a bunch of athletes. Every photo I've seen of me reinforces sy's observation that I cycle with my knees out, really must work on that
    I noticed that you do as well, but it's nowhere near as bad as some lad who was in the group with us up as far as enniskerry, his knees were nearly hitting cars in the other lane at times, looked very uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Mugatu wrote: »
    Anyone got any suggestions for a decent training session in the gym to build up the legs? Or is hitting the road the only way to do it?

If you are just starting, the best way is out on road. Forget the gym for now.

Mugatu wrote: »
    Hi All,

First time post, but long time lurker. ;)

I completed the 100 at the weekend but also took an extra 20k on the day to climb the Sally Gap and Lugalla. I am only recently getting into cycling and that was my first event. Absolutely loved it and working on plans for the next one. I have to admit I now know what they mean why they refer to someone being "dropped" when cycling up a mountain as I was left for dead on those climbs up the Sally Gap. I plan to start doing more hills on the weekends to get the practice in, but sometimes during the week I use the gym.

I saw a few guys with boards kit on the day and thought they looked class!!:cool:

Welcome to the forum.

Cycling it a brillant endurance sport but if I was going to the gym to work on my climbing I'd work on my core strength. Why not do the spinning classes if they have any at your gym.

Endorphins are great aren't they :D

dub_skav wrote: »

That's your style and if it's comfortable for you don't change it. Conversely you'll see cyclists who's knees are nearly hitting the top tube on each stroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mugatu

You right it is a great sport!! I discovered this site when I was planning Malin to Mizen last month and found it the best resource for information on cycling. I picked all my equipment, including the bike, according to posts I read here. Totally hooked now and the plan is the for 160km in the Sean Kelly tour in August. Better hit those mountains!! :D

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.

Cycling it a brillant endurance sport but if I was going to the gym to work on my climbing I'd work on my core strength. Why not do the spinning classes if they have any at your gym.

Endorphins are great aren't they :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Was too busy looking at your back wheel to notice!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Ken, Roger, Tiny and the rest of the lads from Boards - well done. I only saw one of the Boards lads on the route but then myself and my buddy from Portsmouth left fairly late (07:52 on my clock) so I'd say you lads were half way round! Unfortunately, my friend had some bug during week which sapped him a bit. Still, we went around despite a spectacular crash (thankfully into heather on top of Sally Gap) and front puncture - again up a hill! My heart went out to a woman we met in Donard who'd planned to do the 100 but got lost at Laragh and followed cyclists out over Wicklow Gap and on to Donard! She'd called for a lift back to UCD. We'd a good enough spin despite all the excitement though we needed a good few stops. I nearly crashed into a car that stopped on the narrow bridge in Enniskerry. Very glad to have done it, had fantastic bath and a medicinal beer afterward! Our stats: Distance 199.76, Cycle Time 08:20, Elapsed 11:25(!), Max 71.8, Ave 23.5, Calories 3636.5, Max Heart 178, Total climb 2538m.
    http://www.wicklow200.ie/gallery/2008wicklow200/IMG_9911 (I'm on the right!)

Tis I the one in front atop o' yonder Wicklow Gap

http://www.wicklow200.ie/gallery/2008wicklow200/IMG_9655

Cadex wrote: »
    Still, we went around despite a spectacular crash (thankfully into heather on top of Sally Gap) and front puncture - again up a hill! .... I nearly crashed into a car that stopped on the narrow bridge in Enniskerry.
    Bloody hell ye had an adventure!
    My heart went out to a woman we met in Donard who'd planned to do the 100 but got lost at Laragh and followed cyclists out over Wicklow Gap and on to Donard! She'd called for a lift back to UCD.
    is it wrong to laugh, even a little bit?
    Our stats: Calories 3636.5,
    That seems quite low. I don't have my calorific calculation with me now, but I'd be sure it was substantially higher than that. I know I lost over a kg in body weight, despite eating and drinking a lot, and never bonking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Our stats: Calories 3636.5,
    That seems quite low. I don't have my calorific calculation with me now, but I'd be sure it was substantially higher than that. I know I lost over a kg in body weight, despite eating and drinking a lot, and never bonking
    My HRM said I burned 5500 calories for the same cycle time. I did leave the HRM running (and counting calories) for my 90mins of rest time.

Advertisement