Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

plans for existing extension

• 08-06-2008 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi everyone,

we are just about to sign contracts on a new house. there is a rear extension and we have all the planning permissions etc etc

but...........................

my question is.....

where should i look to find out if the existing extension has foundations for a 2 storey extension. its is single storey and we are wondering if in some time in the future we could build an extra bedroom on the top.

the lady who is selling us the house doesn't have plans or even know who built the original extension.

bit of a long shot but any views/suggestions you may have would be gratefully received

many thanks

markarman.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

for starters you wouldnt be able to know for sure if the foundations were designed for a 2 storey by simply looking at the plans as it may have been constructed differently.

my next idea would be to talk to the owner, but as you said they dont know, after that the original builder but again theey are long gone and forgotton.

i would recommend contacting an engineering firm and they will organise to have the existing foundations inspected by digging the area around them to try and figure out the width and depth and the condition of the existing founds.

also a point to note, if it was a recent build we usually design single story extensions in the same way as 2 storey for domestic applications.

but your right in trying to find out before you go ahead and build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Nothing will tell you what the foundations are like except opening them up markarman. Highly unlikely anyone would do specific foundation drawings for a domestic extension, and even if they did exist there's no guarantee that what's on them is what's built.The only way to be sure is open up inspection holes in a few locations around the extension and drill into concrete where found to ascertain depth. I'd suggest the owners might have an issue with this. The foundations are only part of the issue anyway, you'll need to look at wall construction aswell and again opening up is really the only way there too. My guess would be deal with the problem if and when the extension goes ahead unless the extension being a non runner is a deal breaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Check out the details that were submitted in the commencement notice. That may get you the name of the builder and supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXFISH1

there may be the option of using timber frame construction for the first floor extension...but i expect this would be more complicated, though it would be less weight on the existing foundations

Advertisement