Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cloned Hard Drive - won't boot

• 08-06-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi,

I am in the process of cloning hard drives for my laptop. Things went wrong, so I have already posted in computers section, and gotten some good help. Only just discovered this section here.

My new hard drive won't boot - the computer tells me that there is no OS installed when i restart with a CD of a bootable file and with my new Hard drive installed in the hard drive slot.

One possible issue is that Windows has given a letter (E:) to the new Hard Drive when it was connected via the USB enclosure - could that be what is stopping it from booting? If so, can it be fixed? All advice really appreciated, thanks - am learning more about computers this weekend than in the the last 10 years.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

which SW are you cloning with ??

a cloned copy of windows should boot fine
    - if the partition it's on is active
    - if its on the same partition (first / second ) as the original
    - - if this is the only problem the edit BOOT.INI
    - if its at the same cylinder as the original partition because of a diagnostic partition on the start of the drive
    - - this one is a bitch and you need a utility to fix it , fixmbr / fixboot won't fix this ( though fixmbr might solve some problems)
    and if a different PC
    - if the hard drive controller is compatible between both
    - - use device manager to change the controller to standard
    - and you use a similar or lower HAL

The drive letter problem is secondary and can be fixed when you boot into windows, www.petri.co.il/change_system_drive_letter_in_windows_xp.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Did you clone it to an external HDD enclosure and then swap out the drive into the laptop?

I recently changed the HDD in my laptop, I cloned the old drive onto an external drive, which wasnt bootable afterwards for some reason, but I then cloned the external drive onto the new drive in the laptop using a bootable CD with a basic version of the cloning software on it and it worked a treat.

It was a bit annoying having to clone it twice, but it worked.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SouthpawGuy

A lot of manufacturers are using restore partitions that will interfere with a cloned image of the main system partition ... IBM, HP, Fujitsu, Dell etc.
    This often can prevent the cloned image from booting.
    Your cloning software may not have cloned the restore partition, only the system partition, and it will then not boot.

I presume you are using Windows, if so right click on "My Computer" > manage > disk management

If you have a restore partition it may or may not be visible to Windows.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the destination partition is not the exact same number of sectors from the start of the disk then it wont boot.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/prork/prcb_dis_stfl.mspx
    Hidden Sectors: This is the number of sectors on the physical disk preceding the start of the volume. (that is, before the boot sector itself) It is used during the boot sequence in order to calculate the absolute offset to the root directory and data areas.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/ptedit.htm
    Find the entry for "Hidden Sectors". Oops, it shows 63! This needs to be the number of sectors from the beginning of the disk to this partition boot sector.

Advertisement