Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love of maths only increased by the girl in the examiner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Two people are told to build a wall, and are given all the tools and materials. Neither have any experience in construction.

The first is one of the "rote learners." He doesn't possess any amazing natural logic or abilities, so he goes home for the night and looks everything up, and learns the techniques off by heart. He comes back the next day and builds the wall.

The second is Eoin up there, he's a bright lad and has a natural affinity for problem solving and the like. He spends an hour looking at the materials and equipment and works out the correct way to build the wall on his own. His abilities help him to build the wall to a perfectly similar way to the first builder.

Both of them built the wall (granted the first guy was a day late, but we'll ignore that). So in the end it all comes out in the wash. I think what Eoin is really trying to say is that the people who both possess the natural abilities and the work ethic deserve to be regarded in a higher light than those who just possess the work ethic. And thats fair enough.
    Interesting analogy and very well written :)

But for me personally, as long as the wall was built I wouldn't care how it was built. Both have their own ways of doing things and both build equally good walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

people who both possess the natural abilities and the work ethic deserve to be regarded in a higher light than those who just possess the work ethic. And thats fair enough.

Not in the opinion of most people here, most notably BMH.

One more comment before I leave-

This world as we know it, and our civilization, was built by the minda of great thinkers, such as the ancient Greeks (Pythagoras) and the Newtons of our species. These innovators didn't go home at night and memorize the work of others. Rather they grappled with the problem at hand, and went on to create new knowledge through new thinking. If we were all rote learners our society would be stuck in a limbo - to obsessed with memorizing past information already thought about for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Interesting analogy and very well written :)

But for me personally, as long as the wall was built I wouldn't care how it was built. Both have their own ways of doing things and both build equally good walls.

What happens when one day that first guy has no chance to go home and learn? He has no natural ability to fall back on. Now in the workforce that will be found out, he wont be as employable as the first guy (disregarding character issues etc.) but there is no way to distinguish the two types of people in the Leaving.

I have no problem with this, I personally don't mind the "rote learners" succeeding, because Im not looking for super points or anything, but maybe these "rote learners" will go on and find themselves unable to handle their courses at Uni because they've relied on their memory their entire academic lives? They've now deprived someone of a place in that course who could possibly have been more suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

"realize", "apologize" etc. aren't americanisms...

Now someone point out something wrong with my post!
    "Americanism" should have a capital A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jc 2k3 wrote: »
    "americanism" Should Have A Capital A.

:d

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Firstly, may I say that I am far more of a mathsy/logical student than a rote learner. I far prefer being able to do maths hamework in 5 or 10 minutes due to the application of skills and often a bit of problem solving rather than an hour or two on an English essay which is marked on one's ability to follow the formula for good marks and often a little bit of playing to the examiner's sympathetic side.
    Basically, I find maths fun and the fact that others don't makes it all the more satisfying.

That said though, some obviously have a greater aptitude for subjects such as the humanities which require a greater all 'round knowledge of the subject and often more time spent learning. To them, I'm sure being able to write an essay on the history of Irish politics (a bit general, I know) is inexpicably satisfying. These people, however, can rarely understand the joy some of us get from proving a hugely abstract inequality.

The leaving cert (however, I'm not sure, opinion based on hearsay as I'm only in 4th year) would seem to accommodate for both of the aforementioned parties. If you enjoy maths and problem solving, exploit your ability and do subjects such as App Maths, Physics, Acc and even Chem which will reward your aptitude and not bury beneath reams of notes on subjects in which you have no interest.
    Conversely, if more factual subjects catch your eye, study them. History, Geog, Bio, Bus would all seem to entral you.
    However, don't complain for what is essentially an error of judgement on your part going into 5th year. By not selecting subjects in which your given aptitudes and interests are regarded as paramount you have probably frustrated yourself.
    Hope I don't make such a mistake. :rolleyes:

The entire Chemistry course is memorizing.... I might be biased because I hated it with a passion but yes, for me it was just learning off (which I didn't do and ended up with a H C3). And it's not because I can't comprehend things or work out problems either, I got B3s in HL Maths and Applied Maths.

Whereas for me, where everyone goes on about learning off things for Arts subjects... I did very little learning off for mine. I didn't learn off any essays for English, I just got to know the poems/texts and wrote my own opinions on them. Got an A1 too :P

And personally I find college to be more based on rote learning and the ability to write essays well than half of my LC was.... (Psychology degree)

Learning by rote requires more work than a natural ability at Maths (or say for example, music), no? The LC is a little unfair... Natural ability will always win out over rote learning IMO (You really can't memorize your way to 600 points if you're not that bright to begin with). But that's the way it is I guess. I really think you should stop demeaning your fellow students (OL = stupid for example), and just concentrate on yourselves though.

(i didn't read all the pages btw.... that chemistry comment just caught my eye :D)

kisaragi wrote: »
    The entire Chemistry course is memorizing.... I might be biased because I hated it with a passion but yes, for me it was just learning off (which I didn't do and ended up with a H C3).
    I think your bias is clouding your judgement somewhat.

Chemistry is a mixture of learning off and applying that knowledge, and how much you need to learn off really depends on how well you understand the material. There are also maths questions on the paper, and although extremely simple, many people seemed to struggle with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

turgon wrote: »
    Oh right. I am sure it was funny when you were typing it.
    The Apology

I realize that the original post is over extreme, and I apologize to anyone who is or has been insulted by my comments. Please understand that they were not meant as malicious but were just my form of thinking on a particularly moody day. Sorry.

I still think that rote learning is a joke though.

Fair play Turgon, I get where you were coming from now and retract my statements of pompous and jealous.
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Someone with brains. And specifically directed at you, someone who didn't cheat in their LC and has a sense of pride and nobility, which is more valuable than any sum of money or advancement in life.

Directed at me? Well good to know you spend all day every day browsing boards to find ammunition on someone you disagree with. I have a profound sense of pride and nobility and don't assume I don't because we follow a different moral code. You are obviously not quite intelligent enough to understand that everyone does not follow your set of priorities.

Next time you disagree with me please do so less vehemently.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

BJC wrote: »
    Fair play Turgon, I get where you were coming from now and retract my statements of pompous and jealous.

Directed at me? Well good to know you spend all day every day browsing boards to find ammunition on someone you disagree with. I have a profound sense of pride and nobility and don't assume I don't because we follow a different moral code. You are obviously not quite intelligent enough to understand that everyone does not follow your set of priorities.

Next time you disagree with me please do so less vehemently.

So you think cheating is right? Seeing as you were boasting about doing it on the other thread

• Advertisement

I don't think remembering one topic which I participated in where you pretty cleary stated you intended to cheat counts as trawling thorugh boards looking for dirt on you "all day everyday".

And differing moral codes are usually the basis of disagreement. Am I correct in interpreting what you've just written as "you're not intelligent enough to realise that you shouldn't disagree with anyone because other people have differing moral codes"? Your deluded sense of pride and nobility means nothing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

eoin2nc wrote: »
    So you think cheating is right? Seeing as you were boasting about doing it on the other thread

I was far from boasting eoin2c, merely contributing to the thread with the other side of the coin. I wouldn't say I think cheating is right because that's a hugely broad statement, what I can say is I had no moral dilemma while writing maths formulae on the back of my calculator last night.
    And differing moral codes are usually the basis of disagreement. Am I correct in interpreting what you've just written as "you're not intelligent enough to realise that you shouldn't disagree with anyone because other people have differing moral codes"? Your deluded sense of pride and nobility means nothing to me.

Ah, so it's a deluded sense of nobility because you don't agree with me. How very ignorant of you. I don't really have much patience with people narrow minded like you JC 2K3 so I'm going to let you get back to your modded xbox with frequent breaks to surf the web. People like you give the terrible stereotype of losers online getting their kicks from arguing with people they will never meet. You can sit at home in your pathetic "deafening ambience" and contemplate life while the rest of us live it.

Now I leave you with a gift. Have the last word. I know how you crave it and honestly, I pity you enough to let you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

One more comment before I leave-

This world as we know it, and our civilization, was built by the minda of great thinkers, such as the ancient Greeks (Pythagoras) and the Newtons of our species. These innovators didn't go home at night and memorize the work of others. Rather they grappled with the problem at hand, and went on to create new knowledge through new thinking. If we were all rote learners our society would be stuck in a limbo - to obsessed with memorizing past information already thought about for too long.

Pythagoras is known for taking credit for his students work and holding back revolutionary ideas, he apparently killed one of his best students when he discovered irrational numbers (root2), gogo wikipedia:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 looly

I can't believe there are so many snobs out there. How does bein bad at maths make you a stupid person? I struggle with HL maths, yet my IQ (Mensa tested) is 136...the average person's is 100, placing me in the top 6% of the population. Call me stupid now, I dare you! I just happen to be stronger at English and languages in general, i'm hoping for A1s in English, French and Spanish, yet I'll be happy with a pass in HL Maths. You all need to come down off ur pedestals and enter the real world, being good at maths doesn't mean you're going to sail through life. ffs

Ah, so it's a deluded sense of nobility because you don't agree with me. How very ignorant of you. I don't really have much patience with people narrow minded like you JC 2K3
    lol, oh BJC, why so dismissive? Yes it is a deluded sense of nobility in my opinion, because to be perfectly honest, I think all cheating is wrong (Apart from those 1337 cheatz for my Xbox games, which I apparently play so much), and therefore I think having a sense of nobility whilst being happy to cheat at some things is very much a deluded one.
    You can sit at home in your pathetic "deafening ambience" and contemplate life while the rest of us live it.
    Hey, you leave This Deafening Ambience alone! It did nothing to hurt you.
    People like you give the terrible stereotype of losers online getting their kicks from arguing with people they will never meet.
    Now I leave you with a gift. Have the last word. I know how you crave it and honestly, I pity you enough to let you have it.
    And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the online equivilant of putting one's hands over their ears and shouting "LA LA LA!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

I see the point, but only so far as people who learn pages out of Irish books for example, and don't know what it means, but some people just work (study) that way. I know people who do that. Personally, I work hard in school during classes, listen, and do (not neccessarily all) the homework given. Then I cram the night before. You gonna attack me for oh I don't know, not doing study and only cramming?
    Cos it bloody well works.

I don't agree with learning pages and pages off by heart, but if thats what you have to do, who am I to say anything against your work ethic?

Maths differs in that you need to be able to think differently the say for example french. Yes, honours maths IS hard, I finished it today, but alot of people just neither have interest nor understand it. One leads to the other.
    (Also, very judgemental stereotying text. Horribly condescending)

Decerto wrote: »
    Pythagoras is known for taking credit for his students work and holding back revolutionary ideas, he apparently killed one of his best students when he discovered irrational numbers (root2), gogo wikipedia:P

I realize this, but he was the first name that came to mind. I have also heard the story about the root of 2. But he did set up his school which facilitated innovation in maths.

The conflict of opinion in this thread is severe. Many are giving out to us for putting people who do ordinary maths on a lower pedestal. I fully realize that people find maths extremely different, but what is the alternative - blindly state that people who do ordinary are a mathsy minded as those who do honours. When they are obviously not.

I have not called people who do ordinary stupid; they clearly are not. I am simply making the point that maths is one of the subjects where an intelligent or logical mind is needed; one cannot simply learn off stuff like in nearly every other subject.

Finally looly said "You all need to come down off ur pedestals and enter the real world, being good at maths doesn't mean you're going to sail through life". Looly seems to be oblivious to the practical applications of maths. For one thing this website is founded on coding languages which extensively use maths/logic. The monitor with which you look at this website is designed with maths. Your house is designed with Maths. Even the food you eat passed through processing steps which rely on maths and logic.

One could not claim Irish/Englsih to be as practical.

It's annoying hearing people moaning about how hard maths is all the time.

Give us our moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Everything is made of Maths.

I've seen some claim Irish/English are useful in communication, but personally, I go maths all the way. A simple quadratic tells more than words ever could.

I love maths and think it's a fascinating subject. But I'm not naturally a mathsy person. I was always more suited to humanities and languages despite preferring maths and science.

I was an odd little fish - my best subjects (Irish, English, French) were my least favourite, while my favourite subjects (Maths and Physics) were my weaker ones. Go figure. :confused:

If you are more humanities/language inclined, rote learning is really the most effective way of studying and succeeding (that's just my experience of it anyway). It doesn't apply as much for HL maths but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I don't think it's fair to criticise people who get a good LC, but do OL Maths. That's what I did, and I got a good LC. I was absolutely terrible at Maths, and neglected it in 6th year because I wasn't counting it for points..the exam didnt go my way, and I ended up with a D1. Probably some people's worst nightmare on here. I am really good at English, Geography and other languages, but because I can;t grasp Maths, that makes me unintelligent? I hate maths snobbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

I don't think it's fair to criticise people who get a good LC, but do OL Maths. That's what I did, and I got a good LC. I was absolutely terrible at Maths, and neglected it in 6th year because I wasn't counting it for points..the exam didnt go my way, and I ended up with a D1. Probably some people's worst nightmare on here. I am really good at English, Geography and other languages, but because I can;t grasp Maths, that makes me unintelligent? I hate maths snobbery.

totally agree!! im doing higher everything, going for at least all b's, high 400's-500 and praying for my pass in OL maths! ill admit i am absolutely mathematically stunted, as in, i really am praying for a pass, but im certainly not an idiot all round!

maths snobs make me giggle:p

maths snobs make me giggle:p
    *pats on head

Exactly. There are plenty of very bright people who just don't have a grasp on maths. It would have been fruitless for you to struggle with it because your other subjects probably would have suffered. (You probably shouldn't have neglected it entirely though!)
    Maths is important but not having HL doesn't make you unintelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Do the wimminz dig teh 1337 maths skills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

*pats on head

:p aren't you the sweetest?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

One could not claim Irish/Englsih to be as practical.

While to a huge degree you are correct , but if you want to be an evil dictator it is advisable to have good linguistic skills .

'but what is the alternative - blindly state that people who do ordinary are a mathsy minded as those who do honours.'

Yes but for some they are as mathematically minded , they just aren't that bright all round .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

"realize", "apologize" etc. aren't americanisms...

Now someone point out something wrong with my post!
    I have a spell checker on Mozilla Firefox that uses an American dictionary. I think as long as you can easily understand me, the dialect of my spelling don't matter.

I have no problem with people spending loads of time studying to up the grades - I had to do a good bit on English myself. I'm just saying that learning by memory, and not by content, is not actually being good at your subject, its just being good at memorizing. And there are very few subjects which reward good engagement with the subject including Maths and half the time Tech Graph.

As regards "leaving cert is a test of knowledge, not intelligence". How is going into an exam and regurgitating a million facts and definitions from memory knowledge???

Lol, I was joking.

Everything is made of Maths.

I've seen some claim Irish/English are useful in communication, but personally, I go maths all the way. A simple quadratic tells more than words ever could.

Yes. Leaving cert Irish and English are so useful for general communication. I mean every time I approach someone its not "hello" I say, its "well don't you think the negative Imagery that is suffused in Larkins poetry to be so intense.". Or I love the way I could more easily talk about the themes in some stupid Irish poem than ask for a box of corn flakes "as gailege".

I have not claimed anyone doing OL to be unintelligent. I have only said that they are not as good as maths. Which seems to be very reasonable logical statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Well actually, "But they are doing OL Maths" does imply that you sneer at people who do OL Maths.

Advertisement