Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEG Spring

Options
  • 08-06-2008 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Does the direction of the spring matter in an AEG, the spring I have looks the same at both ends:confused:.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Does the direction of the spring matter in an AEG, the spring I have looks the same at both ends:confused:.

If you put it in the wrong way round bb's shoot out backwards into your shoulder....

Na, It makes no difference.

On some TM pistons, the spring is fixed at one end to the piston, thats the only case it makes a difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Motosam wrote: »
    If you put it in the wrong way round bb's shoot out backwards into your shoulder....

Na, It makes no difference.
    yup, it does, the end that goes in the piston has a tighter coil and a slight cone kinda shape to it,

vtec wrote: »
    yup, it does, the end that goes in the piston has a tighter coil and a slight cone kinda shape to it,

I've heard that too, but never saw it on any of my springs.

Unless its very subtle.

no its pretty obvious really, the coil itself is tighter at the piston end and usually in the middle of the spring too.,

not a great pic though.,
    LL-120SP-L.jpg

I've always noticed the coil at both ends and in the middle, maybe just systema.

Whats the point though?

Cant make any difference, if anything, the tightly coiled end is heavier and slower to accelerate.

I cant imagine it makes a difference, unless I'm missing something here :confused:

• Advertisement

the spring guide end is slightly too wide and doesnt allow the spring to rotate properly ya put it in in the piston end.,

the spring guide end is slightly too wide and doesnt allow the spring to rotate properly ya put it in in the piston end.,

Didnt know that.

Not that I'll be changing any of my springs round :D

I may have put them in backwards intentionally...

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

I had better check the direction of that spring I installed last week then, I just ignored the bit on the mech box video with the tighter coils as I couldn't see any difference between the spring ends. Is the diameter of the spring smaller at the tight end?

yep., and the coil is tighter.,

I will have to dig out my vernier calipers then:D. Thanks for the help everyone.

• Advertisement

its noticibly narrower though, you'd have to have the eyesight of a house brick not to be able to notice., :D

its noticibly narrower though, you'd have to have the eyesight of a house brick not to be able to notice., :D

You're not far off, my eyesight is not the best :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Ahhh, this explains the power variance between my M4 and my G36 - same spring, different engineer (in)competence... Anyway, I have to disassemble that unloved M4 again so I'll be able to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Never noticed that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

would there be a noticable differebce itf i put the spring in back to fronts

it can effect an AEG by over 20-30fps or so and the ROF too, if the narrow end is installed at the spring guide end instead of the piston then you'll end up with the spring guide being slightly too tight on it and on the other endthe spring is slightly too tight to rotate properly inside the piston. the more free the spring is the better the performance from it., :)

Advertisement