Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trurners Cross Rumour

Options
  • 08-06-2008 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

There's been a rumour going around the place that they will lose the VW/Audi franchise in October, just when sister company MDL is losing the distributorship of these 2 marques.

I'm sure others have heard it, it's probably been mentioned here before as well and I think at this stage it's more than just a rumour really, I could have sworn I read it in a Cork paper that they are losing it for VW/Audi.

But does anyone know if they are losing the franchise to Merc and Mazda too?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i heard its only the mercs that there keeping. newmarket motors seems to be the best for vws anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Turners Cross is always one of the places I hear recommended from people who've bought Audi or Merc there.

One of the partners at work bought a TT from Grange but travells to Cork for TC to service it.

Typical:rolleyes: Pity FH wouldn't lose his VAG/Merc franchises

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

wheres fh

Limerick. And you needn't expect decent service there if you're female or don't have the cost sitting in your current account.

There's one exception there that my neighbours bought her Polo from, even re-regged it in Limerick City as opposed to the county for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

TCM are noted for being a very poor dealership in these parts.

Terrible relative to other dealers of the same brand, or just plain awful I don't know, but they're not a garage I'd be in a hurry to use any time soon I know that.

Are Frank Hogan's bad too ninty9er?

I'd expect that there will be a big improvement in customer care for VAG after October; you only have to look at how much things have improved with BMW since they started selling the cars themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

there gone all right. they will have the merc franchise but everything else is gone. They are ment to be moving to the new automall type thing in little island and keeping merc vans in the showroom in the cross. Heard that either deasys or kearys will take over the franchise

I take that to mean they've lost Mazda then too? Anyone know if other MSL garages across the country have lost franchises? Or indeed if other VAG dealers have lost their franchises?

Perhaps Kevin O'Learys might take over some of these franchises, after all they're losing the BMW/MINI one next week?

E92 wrote: »
    I take that to mean they've lost Mazda then too?

from what i was told yes. there is 35 to be laid off in total

Oh dear.

Much tougher times ahead for the industry.

This whole manufacturers dealing directly with Ireland is really starting to shake up the market, which is obviously bad news for garage employees and the economy to a certain extent, but good news for everyone else.

TCM are noted for being a very poor dealership in these parts.

Terrible relative to other dealers of the same brand, or just plain awful I don't know, but they're not a garage I'd be in a hurry to use any time soon I know that.

Are Frank Hogan's bad too ninty9er?

I'd expect that there will be a big improvement in customer care for VAG after October; you only have to look at how much things have improved with BMW since they started selling the cars themselves.

Someone I know was quoted €85k plus his 05 S350 (60k km) to upgrade to the same car....I recommended shopping around but he's "always dealt with Frank", which is the only thing keeping the place going IMO.

I'd look at cars there, but only old one's they consider undesirable, because they want RID in a big way. My grandad once bought a Mazda 323 from there because he got the "best trade in" on his Carina (i.e it was sold before it was taken in) and couldn't shift the thing at a reasonable loss after because of the high list price.

It's not the type of place I'd recommend to people who don't know EXACTLY what they're looking for, how much their car is worth and a reasonable idea of cost of change (i.e 90% of Irish people)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I take that to mean they've lost Mazda then too? Anyone know if other MSL garages across the country have lost franchises? Or indeed if other VAG dealers have lost their franchises?

Perhaps Kevin O'Learys might take over some of these franchises, after all they're losing the BMW/MINI one next week?

The way I hear it Turner's Cross turned down the VW and Audi franchises as they would have to build new showrooms and they didn't think it was worth it - although they would say that. Quite how they've managed to get away with having a prefab for an Audi showroom I don't know....

O'Leary's in Silversprings are going to "temporarily" deal with Opel for 18 months or so apparently after they finish BMW in October (Keary's opening a second showroom in Little Island I believe).

edit: oh yeah.....good riddance to TCM!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Didn't realise O' Learys lost the franchise. Someone i know of just bought an M3 there a few days ago. He's a bit screwed for the aftersales now isn't he :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    Didn't realise O' Learys lost the franchise. Someone i know of just bought an M3 there a few days ago. He's a bit screwed for the aftersales now isn't he :rolleyes:

Why?

If the car is new then the warranty will still be honoured by BMW through another BMW dealer. If the car is second hand then the garage where he bought it will still be obliged to honour the used warranty unless they are closing up shop for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Work started in the last 2 weeks on keary's place in Littleisland. the showroom with a honda sign is probably close to fitting out stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I welcome the loss of Turners Cross Motors from the VW/Audi dealer network. I've dealt with them loads of times in my previous job and they were worse than useless. It actually got to the stage where it was more economical and less of a head wreck to transport cars to either Newcastlewest Autos or Newmarket.

Turners Cross are MSL - and anyone who has dealt with MSL Pottery Road in Dublin or Park Motors will know exactly how bad poor service can be - Turners Cross fit that mould perfectly.

Have any of the other MSL garages lost franchises, or is it just our one here in Cork?

Have any of the other MSL garages lost franchises, or is it just our one here in Cork?

I haven't heard.

When I heard MDL were loosing the distribution rights, I didn't think that that would have any effect on the MSL dealers. All the MSL premises look the part and are well spec'd (not that that has any bearing on aftersales service ;)).

MSL will still exist and TXM are the only VW/Audi representation in Cork City. Cork is the country's second biggest market so I don't believe for one second that VW (neither Naas Road or Wolfsburg) would see the sense in loosing representation in that region. If the rumours are true, then you can bet that a successor is already in the pipeline.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

crosstownk wrote: »
    I welcome the loss of Turners Cross Motors from the VW/Audi dealer network. I've dealt with them loads of times in my previous job and they were worse than useless.

Most solicitors in Cork will welcome the news with a great deal of dissappointment. You have no idea how much business these lads generated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

a plumber buddy of mine went in there about 4 years ago in his work clothes, was told that "parts is that way"... he goes down to o' leary's and buys a 330 convertible and back up to tcm to fill it up...... he said the look was well worth it lol!!!!:D

maidhc wrote: »
    Most solicitors in Cork will welcome the news with a great deal of dissappointment. You have no idea how much business these lads generated.

:D

I never looked at it from that point of view!!! But I do see what you mean!

• Advertisement

Bogger77 wrote: »
    Work started in the last 2 weeks on keary's place in Littleisland. the showroom with a honda sign is probably close to fitting out stage.

so far work has started on pj o hea s kearys and the lee honda bikes are actually moving in at the moment. work has yet to start on lee garage and one more garage which im led to beleive is tx merc

Advertisement