Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lewis finds out exactly how..

• 08-06-2008 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

ITV showed an interview with lewis after qualifying and they asked about his Dad's crash... Lewis through laughter said he asked his dad "How exactly do you crash at 30mph"....

mwahahhaaaa, the ironing....

Comments

Roffles!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not to excuse his mistake, but can anyone explain to me the logic of opening the pit lane but then having a red light on the exit at the same time? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, I have to say.

Not to mention having to have the SC out for so damn long for such a minor incident. If that was Monaco, they'd have winched Sutil's car out of the way in a couple of minutes flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The whole thing was farce, the car was on the far side of the turn in point so no hazard, the fire was small and dealt with. As for the shunt well Lewis should have being paying attention and so should the driver behind and whoever it was who tried to nip past in the pit land (which is what distracted Hamilton I guess).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Purely ruined Kimi's race, he was well on course for the victory.

Fair play to Robert though, stunning drive and he is no doubt a future champ!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

51WXYZPKTSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Something to invest in for the Garage perhaps...

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

This is shocking, if Schumacher did this to Hill they would call him a Nazi scum but it was barely critised by ITV (bar Brundle who made reference to drivers punching one another). Fair enough it wasn't the worst thing ever, would put it down to the heat of the moment but Hamilton still shows his unrelenting arrogance (never mentioned on tv), I liken him to Ronaldo for hype and ego, "best in the world" and all that. We need F1 back on RTE to get rid of this BS, perhaps Penn and Teller will do an episode called "Ronaldo and Hamilton best ever...Bulls***".

Here are some nice quotes from humble Hamilton:

"I don't know really what happened," Hamilton said.

"I was comfortably in the lead. It was looking like it was going to be an easy win. We came in. It wasn't a great stop.
    Hamilton looked on course for a win when he made his error. (easy win????, I never heard an F1 driver say that bar something happening last 2 laps)

"I saw the guys in front of me, and all of sudden they'd stopped. I saw the red light but, by the time I saw it, it was too late to stop. (wasn't too late for them )

"I apologise to Kimi if I took him out, but that sort of thing happens sometimes." (to learners in shopping centre carparks)

Hamilton said he had been told by the team that the red light was on at the end of the pit lane, but that the warning came "a little bit late". (The fact Kubrica and Kimi stuffed him in the pits and the big red light flashing were a secondary issue to the team not telling him).

Every time I hear this guy it's embarrassing i.e. his pit radio after Monaco Gp when he said he made a mistake but made up for it. He so believes the hype.

So funny before the race ITV were dreading a safety car as it could ruin his race, even though he only won his last one because of one?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

I saw the quali on ITV, everything Hamilton does is brilliant..... I think i'll stick to Setanta to watch the rest of the races. Don't think he hit kimi delibiratly, he just hadn't enough room to swerve around him. His pitstop went wrong it cost him to much time and tried to make up that time. And made a fool of himself. The 10 places penalty is good enough imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Rory Bremner is an F1 fan and frequent paddock-visitor. In idle moments I've wondered would he have the balls to satirise Lewis. There's just so much potential material with all the big talk, cheesy dad and celebrity hangers-on. He's becoming such a pain, I'm flabergasted at the extent to which he bigs himself up all the time.

The quali press conference in Canada was another example. He was BRAGGING about the fact that he found a 'solution' to the track chaos that NOBODY else did... Fair dues, he did a great job in a fast, compliant car but both Kubica and Alonso, to name just two, also punched well above their weight in inferior cars...

Alonso, Schumacher, Hakkinen - they were all pretty level-headed during their time in the sun. Kubica too after his breakthrough on Sunday.

But Hamilton...dear God that boy needs his bubble pricked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Yeah saw that interview, is ironic what happened to him

Okay don't watch f1 on itv except for a few minutes here and there and do get a bit sick of james allen and they do give lewis a bit too much praise. i'm also not a big fan of hamiltons attitude sometimes.

But in fairness its only his second season and whatever anyone says he's a good driver, even though he's made a few bad mistakes this year. I'm not going to defend hamilton or itv but do get a bit tired of the anti hamilton attitude... fair enough though to slag off itv though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Hmmm, I always thought it was about the driving, if you want to pick at the drivers attitudes,

Well, Kimi Raikkonen is nothing but a drunk,

Philipe Massa, second rate driver in a first rate car, just lucky

Fernando Alonso, if someone would just give him back his dummy all would be well.

Do you want me to go on.. you can find faults in any driver if you want to but at least be objective and consistent.

As a newbie to F1, Hamilton has exceeded the norm, the Brit press pack has already turned against him so you will be pleased that you are not on your own in trying to belittle his talents.

The two days since the chequered flag at Magny-Cours did little to quieten rumblings about the spate of penalties incurred by McLaren drivers in recent times.

Following Lewis Hamilton's ten-place drop for his Montreal pitlane crash, the British driver was given a controversial drive-through penalty for passing Sebastian Vettel illegally at Magny-Cours last Sunday.

"I would never have given out a penalty for that," triple world champion Niki Lauda told the German newspaper Bild, whose headline wondered, 'Why is Mercedes always punished?'

In qualifying in France, meanwhile, Heikki Kovalainen was ordered to drop five places on the grid for blocking Mark Webber in qualifying.

But the Swiss newspaper Blick quotes Red Bull racer Webber as wondering after the incident: "Did someone block me?"

While the Hamilton drive-through was regarded by some a marginal call, it is also true that stewards could have ordered black and orange flags to be waved at Kimi Raikkonen's flailing Ferrari at Magny-Cours.

So why was the Finn, who finished the race second, allowed to keep driving with his right exhaust pipe hanging on by nothing more than a thin cable?

"The race director considered the risk to be low, as the part in question was light," a FIA spokesperson is quoted as saying by GPWeek.

Join the pack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I love raikkonen, he just drives and gets the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Tragedy wrote: »
    I love raikkonen, he just drives and gets the job done.

Yep. I used to think he was boring as he never said much in interviews, but i've been a fan ever since his "taking a shit" comment a couple of years ago. He's obviously just there to drive and doesn't give a shit about any of the other bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Exactly! We get to watch him race and never get any bull**** in interviews/papers/tv from him. No cult of personality, just watching a talented driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 philliecullen

Alun wrote: »
    Not to excuse his mistake, but can anyone explain to me the logic of opening the pit lane but then having a red light on the exit at the same time? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, I have to say.

The reason for the red light at pitlane is to allow the snake of cars to pass the pit-lane. The pace car and the snake must all be past pit-lane before it goes green.
    Remember that on the pit-lane, they are still 'racing', whilst on track they are under safety car rules, hence travelling slowly. Imagine what sort of carnage their could be with a driving flying out of pits to try to slot into a gap he sees with slow moving cars.

Of course, with circuit racing, there always is the issue that the gaps are so large between cars, that it takes a while for the slower cars to catch up with the tail of the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The reason for the red light at pitlane is to allow the snake of cars to pass the pit-lane. The pace car and the snake must all be past pit-lane before it goes green.
    OK, I've figured that out by now. Makes sense. Although I'm still a bit confused as to how, seeing as the field is all bunched up at that point, that they were still parading past even after the 3 cars involved had pitted. I'd have thought they'd have been long gone by that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 philliecullen

Alun wrote: »
    OK, I've figured that out by now. Makes sense. Although I'm still a bit confused as to how, seeing as the field is all bunched up at that point, that they were still parading past even after the 3 cars involved had pitted. I'd have thought they'd have been long gone by that stage.

According to what we heard afterwards, there was still tail enders trailing, which caused the issue. Unlike USA racing, where this is the norm.. the F1 guys are pretty green when it comes to such rulings.

The safety car system and rules pertaining it aren't quite good. F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport and all the safety car crap has been a joke this year.

Advertisement