Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do you reckon the best car in the world is?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Unkel's selling a 735i....I reckon he's been trying to sell it so long now he'd nearly pay you to take it off his hands:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote: »
    The "king of the 'ring", the Lexus LF-A

*coughs*

24 hour ring race last week and there were 8 Porsches and 2 BMWs in the top 10. Lexus’ much hyped LF-A came in at 121st. Poor thang :D

This is not an argument BTW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Lancer Evo X MR

Very very quick

im sure they will have an fq400 model about soon in the UK

or a new GTR (quality)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    *coughs*

24 hour ring race last week and there were 8 Porsches and 2 BMWs in the top 10. Lexus’ much hyped LF-A came in at 121st. Poor thang :D

No.. the driver came in 121st. Some 24 hour Le Mans type thing has no bearing on the car.

The LF-A does the ring in 7min 24sec, faster than any Porsche ever made. And that's not even the production version.

No.. the driver came in 121st. Some 24 hour Le Mans type thing has no bearing on the car.

Sure, let's blame it on the drivers. Those 4 chaps must have been awful drivers to be selected by Toyota to represent the company in their most important and most closely watched race to date...
    The LF-A does the ring faster than any Porsche ever made. And that's not even the production version.

Many of the Porsches that have kept the ring record were standard production cars. Will the Lexus ever become a real car that one can actually buy? It is still a concept car / prototype and it has been for how many years now?

Sure, let's blame it on the drivers. Those 4 chaps must have been awful drivers to be selected by Toyota to represent the company in their most important and most closely watched race to date...
    Really? That's why none of us heard about it? Surely Toyota's most important watched races at the moment are in F1?
    Many of the Porsches that have kept the ring record were standard production cars. Will the Lexus ever become a real car that one can actually buy? It is still a concept car / prototype and it has been for how many years now?
    Porsche has already been stomped on by the relatively low tech GTR. It'll be a whitewash with the LF-A.

It'll be a whitewash with the LF-A.

Please, Toyota, bring it on! Not in 2010 or 2019, but now! Can't wait to see it :D

Please, Toyota, bring it on! Not in 2010 or 2019, but now! Can't wait to see it :D
    Sorry dude. Porsche is a has-been. Pretty much everyone accepts that the LF-A will be a notch above the GTR.

EDIT: Hint: who's in F1 and who isn't? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

Porsche has already been stomped on by the relatively low tech GTR. It'll be a whitewash with the LF-A.

I reconsidered my initial response after reading a few articles on the LF A.

However, this question has already been answered
    http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080131.016/porsche-911-best-automobile-in-the-world

Also with our technology ever improving there becomes a point at which you have to ask when is enough enough. Having never driven a GTR I can only go by what I read, but it must be doing an awful lot of the work for you. Steering, throttle adjustment, etc etc, its not a light car. And I like driving. I like being fast too, but not if it takes away the importance of my inputs.

With this in mind, my revised best car in ze vorld

993gt2black.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You could have fooled me
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Back to the OP's question. The best car in the world used to be the Fiat Multipla diesel. It's been edged out by the Ford S-Max, but maybe Fiat can regain the title with the next Multipla.

Most of the yokes recommended here so far are just toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Zube wrote: »
    Back to the OP's question. The best car in the world used to be the Fiat Multipla diesel. It's been edged out by the Ford S-Max, but maybe Fiat can regain the title with the next Multipla.

Most of the yokes recommended here so far are just toys.

Lads, lads , lads, people carriers are not cars, they are vans with windows.

The best car in the world cannot be a van! Don't even get me started in saying that ANY people carrier is good to look at! I accept that they have a place on our roads but not on a "best car in the world" thread.

Seriously, the F1 isn't a car, it's a toy. I'd need two to bring the family, and a van to follow with the gear and dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Sorry dude. Porsche is a has-been. Pretty much everyone accepts that the LF-A will be a notch above the GTR.

EDIT: Hint: who's in F1 and who isn't? ;)

I usually share your opinion in most things jap, but you're going too far now!
    Porsche is not a has been. That's a silly statement. And if you're looking at F1 then Renault are better than Toyota, so maybe we should be driving those! That doesn't begin to mention BMW, Ferrari and McLaren!
    And saying the GTR is relatively low tech is also very wrong! The R33 GTR was rated the most high tech car in production when it was launched, more so the R34! The R35 isn't gone backwards!

Anyway, the best car in the world is the Veyron. James May drove it easily and comfortably at 253mph. That's how competent it is.

Biro wrote: »
    I usually share your opinion in most things jap, but you're going too far now!
    Porsche is not a has been. That's a silly statement.
    It was a bit of a silly statement, but in the contexct of the GTR, Porsche has nothing quicker.
    Biro wrote:
    And saying the GTR is relatively low tech is also very wrong! The R33 GTR was rated the most high tech car in production when it was launched, more so the R34! The R35 isn't gone backwards!
    Ok, I know it has all sorts of electronics, but it's a simple V6 twin turbo. Otoh the LF-A has a screaming V10 ala F1.
    Biro wrote:
    Anyway, the best car in the world is the Veyron. James May drove it easily and comfortably at 253mph. That's how competent it is.
    Yes it is, but in reality you can't buy one. The GTR is a $70,000 car and has been nicknamed "baby Veyron".
    080325_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭traco

Clarkson reviewed the GT-R in yesterdays Times and he was inpressed. Not sure if you can say it the best car in the world as he siad its out of this world. Having said that I think I would like to own one and I am a German car fan.

Closing comments
    "This, then, is an extraordinary car, quite unlike anything I’ve driven before. You might expect it, with all its yaw sensors and its G readout on the dash, to feel like a laptop. Or you might expect, with all that heavy engineering, for it to feel like a road-going racer. But it is neither of these things. It certainly doesn’t feel like it could do a 7.29minute lap of the Ring. Even though I’ve seen a film of it doing just that.

I dare say that if Michael Schumacher were to find himself in the eye of an Arctic blizzard, escaping from an exploding volcano, he might discover 10% of this car’s abilities. But you? Me? Here? Forget it.

Nissan, then, has done something odd. It has built a car for a time and a place and a species that simply don’t exist."

Article Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

traco wrote: »
    Clarkson reviewed the GT-R in yesterdays Times and he was inpressed. Not sure if you can say it the best car in the world as he siad its out of this world. Having said that I think I would like to own one and I am a German car fan.

Clarkson is a serious bell end, Top Gear is about entertainment, not reviewing motors.

080325_2.jpg

The headline overstates the test results. The actual article concludes that if what your after is A to B speed, the GTR is your machine, but that the Audi R8 is nicer to drive and the BMW M3 more fun on road and track.

• Advertisement

The headline overstates the test results. The actual article concludes that if what your after is A to B speed, the GTR is your machine, but that the Audi R8 is nicer to drive and the BMW M3 more fun on road and track.

It also states the R8 "costs £80k more and can't come close to the GT-R's lap time" and the M3 did well but "flows more awkwardly down the road and can't touch the GT-R for pace"

The full article is here.

It also states the R8 "costs £80k more"

No, it states that the R8 costs more "at almost £80k.", or £25K more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Lads, you DO know that you're feeding a troll here? :D

(just look at that first post again)

but on the other hand ...you seem to be enjoying yerselves ...so ..carry on :cool:

No, it states that the R8 costs more "at almost £80k.", or £25K more.
    Sorry, my bad.

In the spirit of my earlier remarks, the M3 wins that test as it's cheapest, fits four adults and has a real boot.

CAR do an annual "performance car of the year" feature, and the R8 won last time (no GTR back then). For a laugh they had their touring car test driver take their long-term test S-Max diesel out for a couple of laps. The image of him whipping the dash to get the poor yoke going down the straights stays with me...

In the spirit of my earlier remarks, the M3 wins that test as it's cheapest, fits four adults and has a real boot.
    Why didn't they put that on the cover then?

Why didn't they put that on the cover then?

"New Supercool Car Best Ever!" sells magazines. "New car quite good, actually." not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

citroen c5 for me or c6

BEST CAR IN THE WORLD??

You need to raise your ambitions in life man...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭traco

MB S65 AMG - Ultimate Luxury barge??

mercedes-benz-s65-amg-2006-3.jpg

• Advertisement

traco wrote: »
    MB S65 AMG - Ultimate Luxury barge??

Big enough boot, but getting a double buggy and a folding cot in there might be tricky. Not sure it'll take three ISOFIX seats in the back, and where do I put the dog?

:D

Advertisement