Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby focusing on objects

Options
  • 08-06-2008 6:47pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick question. At what stage should a baby start focusing on objects around it? Baby in question is 11 weeks old and doesn't really focus very much on objects.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

According to "What to Expect... the 1st Year", at the endof the first month, the baby should be able to focus on a face briefly, and at 8 weeks, the baby should be able to follow an object in an arc about 15cm above the face to the midline straight ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

as you know every baby is diffo, my lil one is 14 weeks old and is well able to see me walkin around the room and follows toys and stares at her hands,

but

she also has a problem with her eyes, she has a turn in her right eye - we have to bring her to a specilist (spelling??) but this does not seem to bother her,

if you are worried bring her to a doctor or your health nurse, your babs should be due a visit anyway from your health nurse around 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nothung

Our little one was 11 weeks last week and my partner was worried about this too. She obviously had read the same information about 11 weeks as Sully.

Then it dawned on us that we had never actually offered her anything to focus on, or grab. Once we offered her one of her little fluffy toys we could see her giving it attention. She is still slow on the grabbing side of things but yesterday managed to grab on to a toy quite well, and obviously intentionally.

All babies are different, I know, but I also think stimulation has something to do with it. Some weeks ago our community nurse was very impressed with the way she was engaging with us talking to her. The nurse actually said "that's what I like about older parents, they always talk to their babies". Personally I can't imagine anyone not talking to their baby but seemingly some don't. In our daughter this has developed a response the nurse could recognise.

We just haven't put as much effort into the focussing and grabbing. I'm sure she'll work it out just fine. And I'm sure Sully, your baby will do likewise.

Advertisement