Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2mb Internet led keeps going red!!

Options
  • 08-06-2008 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi ive had eircom broadband for over a year now and have recently upgraded from 1mb to 2mb package. these are my stats i dont really understand them but can anyone see a problem here??
    Line State Up Modulation DMT Data Path Interleave
    Downstream Upstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256 SN Margin (dB) 13.00 16.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 56.50 31.50 CRC Errors 11 3

Help would be greatly appreciated as im really sick of being disconected from my xbox!!:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

sorry they came out arseways
    line state-up, modulation-dmt, data path-interleave

max allowed speed-2048kb(downstream) 256(up)
    sn margin(db)-11.00(down) 16.00(up)
    line attenuation-56.50(down) 31.50(up)
    crc errors 14(up) 3(down)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Line noise is very high- what else is there plugged into the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Temporarily plugging out stuff or trying the modem on different sockets and whatnot may help. Only use filters where there are phones present also.

You can try the modem from the a socket (the master one if you know which one it is) with just a simple 2m flex straight into the socket and all phones and faxes and devices like digiboxes disconnected.

If that doesn't give you enough stability, getting a new and different modem may help. I'm not sure which one would be best for that.

ok well i have three phone sockets, one has a phone with filter, one is my netopia router and the other is empty. i tried the router on the other two phone sockets, on one the line attenuation went up to 58.50 and on one it went down to 55.50 i left it at the new 55.50 for a while but once again it disconnected so just put it back upstairs for convienence!

heres a speed test if it helps at all??281586166.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

How far are you from the exchange? Might be the case that you will need to downgrade to get any stability.

ehh probably around 4-5 miles from navan town where the exchange is

You want to check the signal margin numbers when you move the modem around. They're the most important in terms of disconnects. The higher signal margin, the better.

To be honest, on the stats I've seen, frequent problems are suprising. If you know how your phone sockets are wired, maybe you can isolate the master socket and disconnect all the other phone sockets from it. I think that if your line improved slightly, you'd see a dramatic improvement.

One other thing: those line stats are a snapshot of the line when you open the page. Refresh the page quickly a few times and see if the signal margin or attenuation vary much on each refresh. If it frequently drops below 9, mention that too.

You want to check the signal margin numbers when you move the modem around. They're the most important in terms of disconnects. The higher signal margin, the better.

To be honest, on the stats I've seen, frequent problems are suprising. If you know how your phone sockets are wired, maybe you can isolate the master socket and disconnect all the other phone sockets from it. I think that if your line improved slightly, you'd see a dramatic improvement.

One other thing: those line stats are a snapshot of the line when you open the page. Refresh the page quickly a few times and see if the signal margin or attenuation vary much on each refresh. If it frequently drops below 9, mention that too.
    I have downgraded back to 1mb :( missin the speeds but disconnections are less frequent!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Your line attenutation is very high which would indicate you are to far from the exchange.

• Advertisement

Your line attenutation is very high which would indicate you are to far from the exchange.
    It can also indicate a fault, especially a poorly wired junction at some point in the line. The attenuation = distance rule is not gospel.

OP, have you got any disconnects since you downgraded? You probably did the right thing, as 2mb customers will be upgraded to 3mb soon, which your line won't cope with.

It can also indicate a fault, especially a poorly wired junction at some point in the line. The attenuation = distance rule is not gospel.

OP, have you got any disconnects since you downgraded? You probably did the right thing, as 2mb customers will be upgraded to 3mb soon, which your line won't cope with.
    Iv only had one compared to the 5-6 a night!!...it only disconnects while im playing my xbox online!!.....is there anyway i can fix these problems that anyone knows of??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

--SmItHy-- wrote: »
    Iv only had one compared to the 5-6 a night!!...it only disconnects while im playing my xbox online!!.....is there anyway i can fix these problems that anyone knows of??

Are you using wireless for the xbox?

To narrow down the problem: When your Xbox is disconnected, does the Internet LED always turn red??

To get an improvement for your broadband signal, have a look at my earlier post (#9). Disconnect absolutely everything that can be disconnected. Use a short flex without a filter. Check your signal margin at each socket. Refresh the page a couple of times and use the average value. Move the modem to the socket with the highest signal margin.

Also, could you find the nearest socket to where the line comes into the house (the first socket on the line) and describe it to me?? Is it white with an eircom/Telecom Éireann logo on it or is it a creamy colour with pt/Telecom Éireann branded on it?? Or just a white plain socket?

To narrow down the problem: When your Xbox is disconnected, does the Internet LED always turn red??

To get an improvement for your broadband signal, have a look at my earlier post (#9). Disconnect absolutely everything that can be disconnected. Use a short flex without a filter. Check your signal margin at each socket. Refresh the page a couple of times and use the average value. Move the modem to the socket with the highest signal margin.

Also, could you find the nearest socket to where the line comes into the house (the first socket on the line) and describe it to me?? Is it white with an eircom/Telecom Éireann logo on it or is it a creamy colour with pt/Telecom Éireann branded on it?? Or just a white plain socket?
    Nope just the odd time while playing the xbox!!its goes while im on the pc aswell though but just not as much!
    I did check every line with the router and used the best one but it still disconnected, the telephone lines are all a square plain creamy colour(they would be old enough at least 15-20 years old!

****!!!i just looked at the stats there for my line and my sn margin is 1.50-3.00 downstream!!this is pretty bad isnt it!!and my attenuation is still 54.50 downstream!...wat can i do???if i ring eircom il just get the usuall reset your router and do you have eircom phonewatch bull****!!

ok weird its now at 13.00 again??

Your LAN/Wifi looks fine but you're getting interference from somewhere every so often on the line, which degrades your Signal Margin and causes you to disconnect. Usually the line will disconnect once the signal margin reaches 0. The signal margin on your router page is only a snapshot of the noise on the line at that moment, that's why it varies when you refresh the page.

Sadly as you have the older style socket, it's more difficult to troubleshoot. If you wanted to, you could trace back the line to where it comes into the house, and look out for any damage or dodgy wiring and fix it up. You can replace the wiring and the sockets but then you have to be both competent and confident in what you're doing.

I think the best thing to do is to complain to eircom that you keep getting disconnects on your line, despite downgrading your speed and repeatedly following their troubleshooting. Tell them about the LED on the modem and that it's nothing to do with your computer or viruses. If you can get an engineer visit, then great, but you might have to pay if there's a problem with your internal wiring.

ok well i have rang eircom and they are going to send out an engineer!!hopefully he will find the cause of the problem!they said that the engineer will come in contact with me!how long does this usually take does anyone know?....and thanks To_be_confirmed youve been a great help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have similar stats on my line and it stays solid at 3Mb so hopefully they'll be able to sort it out for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement