Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP address question

Options
  • 08-06-2008 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I am with eircom. Our upload speed is so low here in Ireland. I have failed to keep a good ratio on a torrent site, that i really like. I now want to make a new account on the site. I know i can't do this without getting a new IP address.
    How can i do this? Does anyone know how long the DHCP lease lasts? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,766 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally if you hard reset your router they assign you a new IP address. Otherwise phoning support and acting very stupid and say the connections not working and they might reset it from there.

However, can you not just leave the torrents in your client for longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

If you have residential broadband you most likely already get a new IP address every 24 hours.

Check what your ip address is two days running and see if it has changed:
    http://whatismyipaddress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

yea your probably just better off seeding more files then you are downloading and getting the ratio up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

SmItHy how u doing? This is seriously going to take me forever. I don't like the predicament im in. I really wish we had SDSL over here rather than ADSL! :-(
    Thanks a lot sixpack's little hat, ill try this. Thanks also MYOB, thats good thinking about phoning support. Ill let you know how i get on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is SDSL. You have to pay a lot and 3Mbps aDSL line might only be 1Mbps + 1Mbps sDSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Sorry watty. I knew there was SDSL i think! I was meant to say a lesser priced SDSL option :-) We are so way behind when it comes to broadband options than in Europe. We are lagging badly. I was asking a mate in work who previously worked with Eircom, my provider at the mo. He said reset router and turn off for an hour. This should work, any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Sorry watty. I knew there was SDSL i think! I was meant to say a lesser priced SDSL option :-) We are so way behind when it comes to broadband options than in Europe. We are lagging badly. I was asking a mate in work who previously worked with Eircom, my provider at the mo. He said reset router and turn off for an hour. This should work, any thoughts?

No your not, i live in the Netherlands, SDSL is as rare as hens teeth is is only for business, as its quite expensive.

ADSL2 is the norm.

Sweden is about the only place over in Conto-Europe that SDSL is common enough.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I have failed to keep a good ratio on a torrent site, that i really like. I now want to make a new account on the site.

Sounds like the "kid-in-a-sweetshop" problem! OP joins torrent site, sees lots of tempting torrents and overlooks the site rules. Goes download crazy and digs a ratio hole that can't be climbed out of before being booted by the site. :p

Don't blame the ADSL split. Do the maths. I've had a 512/256 line, a 2048/256 and now a 3072/384. I've been torrenting ages and never been booted and keep a nice ratio with bags in reserve (around 3.0). It's all about balancing the books and not going daft. Unpopular torrents are best avoided and "free" leeches if offered should be embraced, so tactics play a part too.

And being connected most of the time re-seeding what I've had and some more.

If you don't want to leave the machine on 24/7 then either download less or cobble a low-energy box together for the torrenting job. A seedbox might assist you, but it'll cost. I also understand that some sites have rules that are hard work sticking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

If you have residential broadband you most likely already get a new IP address every 24 hours.

Check what your ip address is two days running and see if it has changed:
    http://whatismyipaddress.com/

I have Eircom's Home Pro package and have had the same IP address for months at a time, unless I reboot my router or (very occasionally) the connection drops for a few seconds (usually 3-4 am). To answer the OP's question, rebooting your router will give you a new IP (unless you're ona business package and have chosen a fixed IP address)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

if you must:
    greedytorrent
    google it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ronrar

to keep a good ratio, i use ratiomaster. be warned though i got chucked out of worldboxingvideoarchive by using it too much. i guess they picked up on it even though i was discreet. bastards i signed up loads more times and got immediately banned now i cant even access the page,:(

Advertisement