Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mature student advice needed here

• 08-06-2008 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, I'm now a 26 yr old girl. Have my leaving cert in pass level subjects plus done a string of cert courses. I now work as a pharmacy technician. It is good and challenging but i keep thinking of my first choice primary teaching! I'd love to go back to college but know i'd be only able to afford part time or an evening course but need to know if subjects i did need repeating or if this is even possible?? I went to an open day but it was so unorganised and noone could chat to me from the mature students stand as noone was there at it!! If anyone had a similar situation trying to get back to college and has any advice, i'd love and appreciate some helpful pointers,
    cheers oonaa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Herbie53

Try the open university

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Do you have a degree? If not, I'm afraid you'd have to do the 3 year Bachelor of Education as a mature student in one of the colleges of education. They are fulltime courses.

Primary teaching isnt something you can do without a B.Ed or a degree + postgrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭0141607

oonah wrote: »
    Hi, I'm now a 26 yr old girl. Have my leaving cert in pass level subjects plus done a string of cert courses. I now work as a pharmacy technician. It is good and challenging but i keep thinking of my first choice primary teaching! I'd love to go back to college but know i'd be only able to afford part time or an evening course but need to know if subjects i did need repeating or if this is even possible?? I went to an open day but it was so unorganised and noone could chat to me from the mature students stand as noone was there at it!! If anyone had a similar situation trying to get back to college and has any advice, i'd love and appreciate some helpful pointers,
    cheers oonaa

hey there im now in the same situation as you..did you find anything out or have you any advice for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 TheDublinMan

Did you try looking at the college websites, most usually have a bit of info on them about the various courses available.

ya i have done. there is just so much information in them all, its always easier to get info off someone who has been through it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

firstly you need honours irish minimum of cs, or you can do a course in ucc or maynooth i think to supplement that.there are loads of courses for leaving cert irish out there (dont do kilroys irish! yeesh)
    secondly you will need a minimum of three honours subjects

if you dont have a level 8 degree you will have to do the b.ed as mature student. cant apply til you have your irish or pending irish results. applications for b.ed mature comes out in march/april.
    you should be able to get a grant too

if you are interested in going the b.ed route, i just went for an interview and they really look for interaction with kids (homework groups, observation, subbing) and community involvement and skills (music gaa etc) so start thinking about these now, if you could get involved soon it means you have more when it comes around to doing up your application form!

best of luck anyway with whatever you decide! :)

messygirl wrote: »
    firstly you need honours irish minimum of cs, or you can do a course in ucc or maynooth i think to supplement that.there are loads of courses for leaving cert irish out there (dont do kilroys irish! yeesh)
    secondly you will need a minimum of three honours subjects

if you dont have a level 8 degree you will have to do the b.ed as mature student. cant apply til you have your irish or pending irish results. applications for b.ed mature comes out in march/april.
    you should be able to get a grant too

if you are interested in going the b.ed route, i just went for an interview and they really look for interaction with kids (homework groups, observation, subbing) and community involvement and skills (music gaa etc) so start thinking about these now, if you could get involved soon it means you have more when it comes around to doing up your application form!

best of luck anyway with whatever you decide! :)

Hi messy girl thanks for your help. luckily i have 11years of music playing behind me, countless meddles from fleadhs etc and lots of voluntary work but i do intend to help out come sept in afterschool clubs etc. i just need to figure out where to repeat my subjects then.

Advertisement