Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

blue screen of death.. need help

• 08-06-2008 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

need help with reformatting PC

Everytime i turn on pc before i get to login screen the bue screen comes on

i need to know how i can delete everything off of my HD so i can reinstall Windows XP and start from scratch

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you reformat you will loose all your data forever

do you have drivers for your hard drive (if you have SATA)

which brand of PC ?
    Many have recovery partitions so all you may need to do is press F12 to get the menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

E@gle. wrote: »
    need help with reformatting PC

Everytime i turn on pc before i get to login screen the bue screen comes on

i need to know how i can delete everything off of my HD so i can reinstall Windows XP and start from scratch

thanks in advance.

you need to put in a windows install disc then it will give you the option to reformat the dirve , alternatively you can try a repair install and see if that solves your problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I tried putting in the windows CDs but nothing happens when i do

the only thing i can do on the computer is press f1 or f12 before the blue screen comes on

its a dell dimension 8400 if that helps... :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

E@gle. wrote: »
    I tried putting in the windows CDs but nothing happens when i do

the only thing i can do on the computer is press f1 or f12 before the blue screen comes on

its a dell dimension 8400 if that helps... :/

you need to hit either delete or f1 i think in in the bios set it to boot from the cd.

either that or when it boots hit
    # Pressing <Ctrl> + <F11>
    and it should restore your os. mind you it will wipe all the data that was on the pc ;/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SouthpawGuy

Have you taken note of the blue screen message ?
    Google the message details on a working pc it will point you in the right direction.

Have you tried booting into safe mode , F8 on startup, if it boots into safe mode then the problem is related to something that is loading in "normal" mode.
    Could be video card drivers, "nv4_disp.dll" relates to Nvidia drivers.

If it does not boot into safe mode then it might be hardware - CPU, motherboard, RAM, etc.

If you Google "dell 8400 blue screen messages" ,there are a lot of results.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

F12 will bring up the system boot menu, so you can choose which media to boot from. It should not be blue screening at this stage. As mentioned in the previous post, google the error message or throw it up here. It could be as simple as booting from a windows disk entering the console and running a check disk scan.

Advertisement