Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing gears on roundabout

Options
  • 08-06-2008 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

is it ok to change from 1st to 2nd on roundabout, when im in first on roundabout just feel i should be going into 2nd but have been told changing gears on roundabout is a no no

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would always change up to second going around a roundabout. The best thing to do is to change quickly up to second soon after you move off. I wouldn't scream around in first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

is it ok to change from 1st to 2nd on roundabout, when im in first on roundabout just feel i should be going into 2nd but have been told changing gears on roundabout is a no no

as said definitly move into second but straight away after moving off before turning around the roundabout. Goind in first the whole way will not be good for the car as well as control over the car not being great in first

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Id put it in second quickly rather than change gears up and down while going around.

Learning to drive is learning to be safe, and the safest approach is to put it in second as quickly as possible (most cars can do this within a second) and continue around in second with both hands on the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

chris85 wrote: »
    as control over the car not being great in first
    ???
    Considering you have the most control of your car possible when travelling slowly and in first (hence you wouldnt use second while parking in a very tight space), that is a very confusing and incorrect statement.

As you approach a roundabout you should choose the correct gear (speed, conditions and anticipation decide) before entering the roundabout.
    If you have to stop before entering the roundabout, accelerate well and change up to second as soon as possible, prevailing conditions etc allowing.
    On larger roundabouts traffic permitting, you may not even need to drop below third or fourth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sweetbubbly

It is perfectly acceptable to change gears on a roundabout. Were you told that at the very beginning of learning how to drive? If you were told at the beginning, it was probably because you needed to learn how to control your steering, speed, etc on a roundabout, but now you're possibly more advanced, you feel confident to change gears whilst on a roundabout. The most important thing is that you dont tie your hands in knots on the steering wheel while changing the gear. My advice would be to get into 2nd gear before you start turning the wheel on the roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

wil wrote: »
    ???
    Considering you have the most control of your car possible when travelling slowly and in first (hence you wouldnt use second while parking in a very tight space), that is a very confusing and incorrect statement.

Well, when you consider the fact that you'll be driving above a crawling pace going around a roundabout, 1st can be "twitchy" for learner drivers, so to say that one would not have as acceptable control over their vehicle would be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

First gear is ONLY for moving off from a stop, not for driving along in. Once the car is rolling at all you should get into second. If you're in first screaming around the roundabout at 10mph then when/if you take your foot off the gas it will feel like sudden braking (due to the strong engine braking effect of low range gears). It is an awful 'jumpy' experience and a tester will not be impressed. Move off in first then change into second, but do it in a controlled manner, not grabbing at the gearstick like a maniac. They want to see that you are in total control of your vehicle.

Advertisement