Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DK765 Film and video

Options
  • 08-06-2008 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing this course, found the course at the last minute and now I am seriously interested but sure all the open days are over so I can't get any mopre info about it??? Does anybody have any??? Anybody on here doing the course???

Thanks,
    Andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

to be honest the open days are next to useless for finding out real information anyway, have you read all the details of it on the dkit website?

My girlriends friend does the course and seems pretty happy with it, she has made short movies and the like but there are theory aspects that she doesn't like I think, I'm not sure when I'll see her again but if I'll try to remember to ask her about it.

It looks like a pretty good course, fun but with a decent backbone so that you'll actually end up qualified to do something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

My brother's friend takes this course, and he has just finished his first year. He loves it. They've made loads of short films, and they've had a great time doing it. From what I gather, it's mostly practical, but some of the theory is a bit tough. That's a necessary evil, no matter what you do though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

Howdy,

I'm doing this course. I just finished first year with flying colours (if I do say so myself!).

The course is enjoyable. It has a good mix of theory & practical. That's why I chose it. A lot of the theory stuff will bore the ever lovin' tits off you if you are not interested in film as an art form & historical event. We went through the beginnings of cinema from the silent age right the way up. A lot of those films can be boring to the Matrix generation.

There is a lot of emphasis on Irish film in the first year also which a lot of people grumbled about but feck it ... we're Irish & we have a film industry albeit a small one so we may aswell celebrate it!

The practical side is the best part of this course. We get to grips with the cameras, lighting, audio mixing & editing equipment. We did a module on radio where we had to write a play & a radio show. We also did some photography. It's a very broad course. Youwil lcome away from it with a definite usuable skill. You might go in thinking you want to be a director but find out that you're a kick ass editor or producer you know. You get a taste of everything!

We made a few shorts & sme of them are actually quite good. It's great to see an idea manifest itself on the big screen! And they let you take out the equipment to film anything you want. Doesnt have to be college related!

The lecturers are very sound & I aint just saying that. They know their craft & they are very willing to help out. They have many years of experience in their fields & have contacts in the industry so that's a bonus. Also because the College is in a border region theres a whole host of grants, projects & competitions available to DKIT that arent available in ... well ... un-border towns!?

All courses are a means to an end & all courses will have good points & bad. Feel free to ask me specific questions either on here or in PM. I hope some of this has been helpful ...

Skiddoosh!

Advertisement