Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bike provisional

• 08-06-2008 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭

I had a scooter years back in 2000 however my provisional A1 expired and I never renewed it,Couple years back I remember applying to renew my a1 provisional but they would not do it until I underwent a bike test which I never bothered with and just continued using my car instead. However recent events have given me a proper motorcycle for nothing and am wondering how am I to get my bike provisional so I can take a bike test when they wont renew it? I'm a tad confused

Comments

Apply for the test. They will send out a confirmation letter which you bring with you to apply for your licence. I'm not sure and I could be wrong here, but you might have to do the theory test for the bike as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Yup, you'll have to do the theory test as well now.

Pain in the ass really as it's easy enough for a 6 year old to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Yup, you'll have to do the theory test as well now.

Pain in the ass really as it's easy enough for a 6 year old to pass.

They upgraded the theory test a few months back and its much more difficult than it used to be. Whole section on bikes now, check out the book before you sit it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Can I drive a 250cc bike on a provisional? I have an Aprilia RS250, It was left to me from a relative in Uk and i brought the bike back here..
    Someone said to me im restricted to 125cc until i pass my tests? If thats the case so be it and ill lock up the RS and buy some crappy 125 until i pass my tests.

Cheers

mondeo wrote: »
    Can I drive a 250cc bike on a provisional? I have an Aprilia RS250, It was left to me from a relative in Uk and i brought the bike back here..
    Someone said to me im restricted to 125cc until i pass my tests? If thats the case so be it and ill lock up the RS and buy some crappy 125 until i pass my tests.

Cheers

Look at your licence. Is the bike within the 0.16Kw/Kg or the 25Kw power limits? If so you can ride it on a provisional A licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭roberteboot

My question is similar to this one(licence related) so i thought id dredge this one up rather than starting a new thread.

Basically im looking at getting a PX125, iv'e applied for my theory test(AM category on the site which i think is A,A1 and M) and i was wondering can i drive a 125cc bike once i do the theory or do i need to apply for a practical test?

From reading through the forum the practical test seems to be for >125cc?
    Does the new enforcement of the rules relating to provisional drivers being enforced from 1st July have any effect on this?

Im looking at getting a scooter for the work commute.

Cheers for any help at all or pointers in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

You can ride the PX125 on a learners permit for an A motorcycle, don't forget the L tabard!

To get your full license you could sit the A1 license which is for up to 125, the A is for anything above that. They're the same test just on different machines. I'd advise doing the A and hiring a geared bike for the test, that way you can ride whatever you want.

colm_c wrote: »
    You can ride the PX125 on a learners permit for an A motorcycle, don't forget the L tabard!

To get your full license you could sit the A1 license which is for up to 125, the A is for anything above that. They're the same test just on different machines. I'd advise doing the A and hiring a geared bike for the test, that way you can ride whatever you want.

Thanks for that.

Im assuming in your second paragraph when you mention sitting the A1 licence you mean the practical(An actual road test)? Or that the A1 theory test allows you a full licence on anything up to 125 and for a full licence on anything above 125 i would have to do a practical test?

Sorry im just a bit confused on that point.

You can sit the A1 or A test but depending on which bike you do it on you'll end up with a different license, they're the same test, just different machines.

If you do it on a 125, you'll get an A1.
    If you do it on an automatic 125, you'll get an automatic only A1
    If you do it on a 250, you'll get an A
    If you do it on an automatic 250, you'll get an automatic only A

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks for that.

Im assuming in your second paragraph when you mention sitting the A1 licence you mean the practical(An actual road test)? Or that the A1 theory test allows you a full licence on anything up to 125 and for a full licence on anything above 125 i would have to do a practical test?

Sorry im just a bit confused on that point.

In order to have a full license in either A or A1 category you must pass the full test.

To sit the A test, you need a bike that is greater than the 25kW / 0.16kW/kg threshold.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the help lads i appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

faceman wrote: »
    To sit the A test, you need a bike that is greater than the 25kW / 0.16kW/kg threshold.

Emm... no, because if he had one greater, it would mean he is doing the test with out any licence. The tester would not allow this.
    To sit the full A test, you need a machine that is a 250cc OR! is restricted to a learner permit standard. IE: a 600cc bike with a restriction kit installed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

sutty wrote: »
    Emm... no, because if he had one greater, it would mean he is doing the test with out any licence. The tester would not allow this.
    To sit the full A test, you need a machine that is a 250cc OR! is restricted to a learner permit standard. IE: a 600cc bike with a restriction kit installed.

Thats what my point was, although not well contructed that he effectively couldnt do it on a 125

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭finto

Would you have to prove to the tester that the bike is restricted? A certificate of restriction??

No, its taken that the bike is restricted as you need to be insured on it. You will find it hard to get insured correctly without a cert

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭finto

insured correctly

That word "Correctly" Scares me. They defo didnt ask my for a cert anyway with quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

Hi lads, just quick question how much do you think it would cost in total to get goin on 125 bike, insurance, bike , helmet etc.

Living in Dublin city and just recently got my hand on prov licence for the bike.

I have a full licence in the car but no car. And have this tingle about bike now.

So just trying to gauge the difference between starting on bike or just buying a boring car which lets be honest is shi*** for the city.

63587614 wrote: »
    Hi lads, just quick question how much do you think it would cost in total to get goin on 125 bike, insurance, bike , helmet etc.

Living in Dublin city and just recently got my hand on prov licence for the bike.

I have a full licence in the car but no car. And have this tingle about bike now.

So just trying to gauge the difference between starting on bike or just buying a boring car which lets be honest is shi*** for the city.

Bike, helmet and gear is a relatively easy thing to cost but insurance isn't.

The big factor will be your insurance which will generally be pretty high for a provisional license holder and even higher depending on your age and the bike you choose. Have a car licence has no bearing on a bike license.

I got an insurance quote from quinn on my Aprilia Rs 250, being such a rare bike here I was quoted 850e which is cheap to me. I'm on a provisional also with no bike no claims. It's my first bike.

About this certificate of restriction thing. If jimmy the langer down the road got himself say a Suzuki gsxr 600cc ( nice bike ) with a restriction kit. Who is to stop him taking it off after he gets it insured etc? It's a electronic limiter in the ecu is it not or a gigantic washer somewhere in the exhaust?

Way back in the day I had a scooter which I got de restricted and the insurance never commented on it. It was almost twice as fast as a result.

mondeo wrote: »
    I got an insurance quote from quinn on my Aprilia Rs 250, being such a rare bike here I was quoted 850e which is cheap to me. I'm on a provisional also with no bike no claims. It's my first bike.

About this certificate of restriction thing. If jimmy the langer down the road got himself say a Suzuki gsxr 600cc ( nice bike ) with a restriction kit. Who is to stop him taking it off after he gets it insured etc? It's a electronic limiter in the ecu is it not or a gigantic washer somewhere in the exhaust?

Way back in the day I had a scooter which I got de restricted and the insurance never commented on it. It was almost twice as fast as a result.

Insurance company won't really give a toss, but the gardai will have something to say, if they stop him on the side of the road, he could be asked to produce the cert and bike within a few days, or they might take the bike for a spin.

• Advertisement

Insurance company won't really give a toss, but the gardai will have something to say, if they stop him on the side of the road, he could be asked to produce the cert and bike within a few days, or they might take the bike for a spin.

I have never seen a garda taken someones bike for a spin before...
    Even with a cert in my hand they would still want to have a go?
    Hmm you could easily say you did not know the restrictor was off even
    though ya removed it yourself. :rolleyes:

I like my RS250 even if it sounds like a scooter with the 2 stroke but I'm tempted to get a gsxr 600, even with a restrictor kit on it I can live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

Boys that funny seeing a Garda tear off on someone's bike for a test run.

So would you say 2/3K would get you started on the motorbike, insur etc.

If you're anywhere near 18 on a provo with no NCB, it will be 1k+ for insurance on anything over 50cc.

As far as I know, the Gards aren't aloud to drive off on your bike. As they are not covered through insurance or their drivers licence. So it has to be towed to the local station or holding yard. Never let a "foot" gard or one driving a car take off on your bike. If anything happens to them it would be you they sue!

As for the restriction. It is more a matter of, if there is a crash and your insurance send out a engineer to look the bike over. They will look for the restriction. If they dont find it and its meant to be there. Then you are considered to have been driving with out insurance which means no licence. Which will lead to the gards on your door step and no chance of a payout from the insurance company.

As far as I know, the Gards aren't aloud to drive off on your bike. As they are not covered through insurance or their drivers licence. So it has to be towed to the local station or holding yard. Never let a "foot" gard or one driving a car take off on your bike. If anything happens to them it would be you they sue!

As for the restriction. It is more a matter of, if there is a crash and your insurance send out a engineer to look the bike over. They will look for the restriction. If they dont find it and its meant to be there. Then you are considered to have been driving with out insurance which means no licence. Which will lead to the gards on your door step and no chance of a payout from the insurance company.

How exactly do these restrictors work? They limit the rpm of the bike?
    You hit 7k revs and it miss fires or somthing

Restriction depends on the bike.

Some are simple throttle restrictions, some are ECU, some are in the carbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Insurance company won't really give a toss, but the gardai will have something to say

In practice they won't, because it's impossible for them to prove the power of a bike without dynoing it. Then there's the power to weight ratio exemption, the weight to be used for that is not defined in law. The difference between dry weight and gross vehicle weight can be over 200kg...

if they stop him on the side of the road, he could be asked to produce the cert and bike within a few days, or they might take the bike for a spin.

LOL. The urban myth that will not go away. A Garda cannot legally take your bike for a spin. A restriction cert is not a legal document and has no meaning in law. You are not required to have one and cannot be required to produce one. Even if you do, it proves nothing, only a dyno run can prove power output.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement