Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First speeding ticket

Options
  • 08-06-2008 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I just got my first speeding ticket. I don't dispute the ticket at all but I am a bit worried about what will happen. Here's the story:

The Guard said the ticket would be in the post and that I need to supply my insurance details before 10 days to the local Gaurda Station.
    The Car is mine but I'm on my Dad's insurance as a named driver as I can't afford it. So I need to supply those details. Can I do this without letting my Dad know? He doesn't need the stress right now as he's ill and tbh I don't need the bollocking!

The other thing is my NCT. The Car was bought second (or third or fourth) hand, so the NCT details were out of date as to who the owner was. It's been up since January, but i have sorted out that with them and a test is booked for, guess when? TOMORROW! Typical.

Am I going to expect a note in the ticket for having an out-of-date NCT too? A much bigger ticket? I'm on my second provisional (thank God not my first) and my driving test is, guess when? WEDNESDAY!

I accept the ticket, I was in the wrong, but is this going to cost a fortune due to alot of unfortunate circumstances and is my dad going to kill me while I sleep?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you got points your speeding you need to let your insurance company know. If not your policy may be null and void if in an accident.

You're gonna need a valid NCT disc on the window for your driving test as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

random wrote: »
    If you got points your speeding you need to let your insurance company know. If not your policy may be null and void if in an accident.
    Your ok up until 4, then you have to notify them.

When signing up I was asked if I had "any". Where do you get 4 from ?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Do you have a link for that ?
    Do you know the OPs insurers rules ?

OP - you're going to have to tell them. However a lot of them don't count 2 points against you (Hibernian is like that) but if you don't tell them....

And just tell your Dad - if he's paying your insurance and it's his policy he deserves to know everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

parsi wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that ?
    Do you know the OPs insurers rules ?

OP - you're going to have to tell them. However a lot of them don't count 2 points against you (Hibernian is like that) but if you don't tell them....
    Only a Verbal with Carole Nash when I told them that I had four points at the time. They said that if it goes above four they must be notified. I also believe certain type of points do not count, ie seatbelt offenses. They are more concerned about speeding and moving violations. It may vary with different insurance companies so it is worth giving them a call if you incur any points

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

chamlis wrote: »
    Can I do this without letting my Dad know?

Yes. But you'll need to get your hands on his Insurance Cert where it states that you're a named driver.
    Am I going to expect a note in the ticket for having an out-of-date NCT too? A much bigger ticket?

I doubt it. €80 fine and 2 points is the norm. If the guard didn't mention the out of date NCT to you then I'd say you'll be ok.
    is this going to cost a fortune due to alot of unfortunate circumstances
    I'd be very surprised if you didn't get away with just the €80 fine
    is my dad going to kill me while I sleep?

Maybe... does he have a history of killing people??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

random wrote: »
    When signing up I was asked if I had "any". Where do you get 4 from ?
    There is nothing in my insurance documentation that states I have to inform them if I earn any points once the policy has begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi OP.

The first one regarding insurance. People routinely get asked to produce license & insurance at a Garda station. If you want to delay telling your dad about the points then you could just get the cert from him stating that you were asked to produce it. It will take a while for the points to be issued.

As for the NCT test, if it is tomorrow then assuming it passes you will have an NCT cert. If you produce this cert the Guard at the station will be happy enough.

You only have to notify the insurance company of your penalty points once you actually get them. Not telling them means you are effectively making a false declaration which will invalidate your insurance cover. As mentioned above the delay in issuing the points it might give you a bit of breathing space with your dad.

Make sure you pay the fine on time to avoid an even bigger fine and/or more points.

Oh BTW, assuming your car passes the NCT best of luck with your driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You only have to notify the insurance company of your penalty points once you actually get them. Not telling them means you are effectively making a false declaration which will invalidate your insurance cover.

How is that a false declaration? Can you explain that?
    He is already insured and had no penalty points when he was insured on his dad policy. It would only be a false declaration were he to renew the policy and not inform them of the points he got since then.

Might be best to inform them after the points are added and the fine has been replaced. Either way your dad will find out when its time to renew his policy and he has to pay more. Remember its HIS policy you are affecting. Tell him as it will be worse if you lie to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Assuming all goes well with the driving test, I was going to start the process of getting my own insurance anyway. The insurance policy is up, would you believe, at the end of the month.

All of this is happening at the same time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kbannon wrote: »
    There is nothing in my insurance documentation that states I have to inform them if I earn any points once the policy has begun.

"Utmost good faith" probably makes this implicit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

@OP If your NCT was out of date on the day in which you were stopped, a court summons (not a fixed penalty notice as far as I know) would have been issued if the attending Garda wanted to bring you up on it.

As it stands, you are, as far as I can tell, being issued with a fixed penalty notice for speeding. If you have no dispute, simply pay the fine within the period and that's it.

To provide proof of insurance all you need is the certificate of insurance (and the issuer's letter that came with it if you like) and your driver's licence confirming your eligibility to drive on that policy. If you can get your hands on these documents, I don't see why your father would have to know.

Then again, he might want to know these things.

@eoin_s, I would agree, its better to inform them, you normally won't be penalised for anything under 5 points, but its better they know in terms of validating your existing policy should you have a crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

FYI the car just passed the NCT about 20 mins ago. So at least I have that documentation....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Toomey86

Hi
    kinda new to this so dunno if im posting in the right place but i just had a few questions about Garda loopholes mainly around the penelty point system ive just recived a letter saying i got 2 penelty point and 80 euro fine i knew it was coming in the post so its not a big shock but they have spelt my name and gotten my address wrong and was just wondering if this make this null/void or do i still have 2 get the points i dont mind the fine so much just the points
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Toomey86 wrote: »
    Hi
    kinda new to this so dunno if im posting in the right place but i just had a few questions about Garda loopholes mainly around the penelty point system ive just recived a letter saying i got 2 penelty point and 80 euro fine i knew it was coming in the post so its not a big shock but they have spelt my name and gotten my address wrong and was just wondering if this make this null/void or do i still have 2 get the points i dont mind the fine so much just the points
    Thanks

You can take it to court and risk getting 4 penalty points and a nice fine :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

eoin_s wrote: »
    "Utmost good faith" probably makes this implicit.
    Nah - if they wanted me to disclose it then they should have explicitly stated that!
    I was never asked for my licence number anyhow so they don't know if I have points anyway (which I don't (touch wood!))

Advertisement