Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can we have a euro 2008 general musings thread?

• 08-06-2008 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

:) Swiss should have got a point as should Austria, the Poles were deffo better than a 2-0 scoreline defeat. The refs are as inconsistent as ever and Danny Baker is doing 606 at 10 pm (God knows that they'll talk about).

And there has been trouble at one of the Poland-Germany fanzones tonight.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

[QUOTE=mike65;56178817And there has been trouble at one of the Poland-Germany fanzones tonight.

[/QUOTE]

Trouble last night also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Why isn't isn't there a Euro 08 sub forum ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

By and large, the quality of crossing has been awful so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I feel the tournament needs a goalfest to get going. Matches have been good enough so far, but not fantastically exciting. I'll take a 4-4 between Italy and Holland tomorrow perhaps.

Nonetheless, I am always happy for summer football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I think the standard of refereeing has been really good. Four games in and no really awful decisions. The penalty today and Pepe's first (offside) goal were big calls, both of which the linesmen got right. I notice the refs aren't giving much notice to diving insofar as they don't book players for it, but they tend not to give free kicks either.

Also, four games in and no game where both teams have scored? They've been good games, but no real nailbiters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tom65 wrote: »
    I think the standard of refereeing has been really good. Four games in and no really awful decisions. The penalty today and Pepe's first (offside) goal were big calls, both of which the linesmen got right. I notice the refs aren't giving much notice to diving insofar as they don't book players for it, but they tend not to give free kicks either.

Also, four games in and no game where both teams have scored? They've been good games, but no real nailbiters.

thats true enough. Pogatetz should have gone alright today, but it wasn't due to the ref not seeing his second rediculous fouling/molesting, he obviously did and consciously decided not to give a second yellow to make a game of it. At least theres reasoning behind the decision, though he really should have gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm loving the retro footballs that are being used, just like the 1974 World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'm loving the retro footballs that are being used, just like the 1974 World Cup

was thinking that today as well, big fan of them! Old skool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Worth noting - there have been absolutely no surprises results wise. Portugal, Germany, Croatia & the Czechs all winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

zAbbo wrote: »
    Why isn't isn't there a Euro 08 sub forum ?

lack of consensus? there's a proposal for one in the forums forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

More goals please.

Loving the coverage on RTE - the A squad have been on sparkling form imo.

An utter delight to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The panel are okay but Jimmy McGee and Whatshisface Mark Kinsella were pityfull.

Mike.

True about Jimmy and Mark - actually watched most of the game on the beeb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Peter Collins and the C team. :)

I'd love to know who was the tool in RTE Sport who decided it was a good idea to have Peter Collins anywhere remotely near any football games. Grand when dealing with motorsports, but no football knowledge and not much interest in the game.

I remember him on a Premiership programme once when you could almost see the thoughts going through his head "must not ask about the engine, must not ask about the tires, must not ask about the track".

Also his technique of asking the football pundit a question and then when the pundit answered not having a notion whatsoever to ask for a relevant follow-up question, was always worth a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Agreed on Collins.

And his voice is highly irritating, like the noise of a F1 car.

Bill, Eamo, Johnny and Liamo are on top form though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Loving the coverage on RTE - the A squad have been on sparkling form imo.

Slightly poor coverage imo, if Dunphy is not present.

I'm watching on BBC, but still switching back to rte at half and full time, they don't seem to be on great form though imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

mike65 wrote: »
    :) Swiss should have got a point as should Austria, the Poles were deffo better than a 2-0 scoreline defeat.

No they shouldn't. No they shouldn't. No they weren't. Swiss were toothless up front (even when Frei was still on). Austria were clueless and Poland should take a class in offside-trap 101 (unbelieveable that Beenhaker is their manager!).

In all 3 games the losers only started to play there stuff *after* going behind. 3 classic cases of superior opposition taking their foot off the gas after taking the lead and letting the other team back into the game.
    monkey9 wrote: »

Too right! They perfected the image of the football with that style. They should have never changed it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Most exciting match comes from the Wankdorf stadium, coincidence, I think not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have the French already blown it? The Dutch appear to have both graft and guile in equal measure, Italy will probably not be overwhelmed by France if they can avoid a collapse of morale. The Romanians are unlikely to beat either Dutch or Italy but could be the surprise package.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

mike65 wrote: »
    Have the French already blown it? The Dutch appear to have both graft and guile in equal measure, Italy will probably not be overwhelmed by France if they can avoid a collapse of morale. The Romanians are unlikely to beat either Dutch or Italy but could be the surprise package.

Mike

I'm hoping the French will bounce back. If I'm not mistaken, they were fairly rubbish at WC06 until the match against Spain in the first knock-out round. They can't really afford to do that this time around, though. I think the Dutch will undo Romania, but the Italians might struggle.

Advertisement