Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbrigan Market?

Options
  • 08-06-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Anyone know if the Balbigan market is still up and running? I havn't been there in a while and I plan on heading up this Sunday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

CooliyoG wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Balbigan market is still up and running? I havn't been there in a while and I plan on heading up this Sunday.

late reply, but yeah.. still up and running if your into that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

Yes it is still there, i hate it though for some reason.
    Does anyone know if there is a car selling market in the same place on a Saturday. I remember seeing it advertised somewhere. Forgot to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

100gSoma wrote: »
    late reply, but yeah.. still up and running if your into that sort of thing.
    heard it was raided yesterday,guards,branchers,customs , the works,they seized loads of stuff,from trainers,cable boxes ,dvds ,cds ,tools,they even dipped the vans for diesel..serious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Its been raided on a weekly basis for the last while. People are probably going for the entertainment factor rather than to buy anything:p

LOL @ PurplePrincess comments.. So true. There is always a bit of action up that way on a Sunday. I think a garda got a belt in the face 3 weeks back.

the best market I have been to is Jonesborough.. Its a proper market. 100s of stalls, lots of stuff... nice sellers. its a 30 minute drive from Balbriggan. on each sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 hogwind

Can anyone tell me what time the market starts and do sellers at the car boot sale have to book their space in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

100gSoma wrote: »
    LOL @ PurplePrincess comments.. So true. There is always a bit of action up that way on a Sunday. I think a garda got a belt in the face 3 weeks back.

the best market I have been to is Jonesborough.. Its a proper market. 100s of stalls, lots of stuff... nice sellers. its a 30 minute drive from Balbriggan. on each sunday.

Where is Jonesborough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

just by Newry, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

It's not far from the Carrickdale Hotel on the old Dublin-Belfast road, but it's a bit off the beaten track. There's a left turn that is a long straight narrow road/lane going uphill just before the places that do sterling exchange just before the hotel.

Hard to explain as the sign posting is so bad in the area!

@ hogwind: you just trun up and pay a 5er or 10er and park your car up. simple as that.

Yeah the jonesborough market is just off the dublin belfast road before newry. You come to a pub called "the half door pub" and take the left immediately after the pub. follow the road then. plenty of signage and parking on a sunday. can't miss it. they take euro too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yeah, Jonesborough is great. Bit more of a drive though, but you can easily go on into Newry do a shop in Sainsbury's and have a good feed. Make a day of it sort o' thing. (Well a few hours anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jloner2

Hi all, The sunday market up at Balbriggan every sunday is not that bad. The vast majority of traders are legit and above board. I for one selling brand new house hold furniture at keen prices. There is also a large number of new item traders at this market so come on and grab yourselves a bargin. Jimbo

Heard the dodgy DVD dealers have returned, so expect the raids to start again soon! :D

Well people have a funny point of view on this one. The raids mean
    absolutely
    nothing to any trader who is within the law :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Critic 69

Anything I have ever gotten from the market is rubbish. Would never go back. Have to look at it like this too, most of it is stolen gear and all your doing by buying stuff there is encouraging the thieves to keep stealing. Only realised that after my fathers shed was broken into and all his tools were stolen and turned up in the market...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Critic 69 wrote: »
    Anything I have ever gotten from the market is rubbish. Would never go back. Have to look at it like this too, most of it is stolen gear and all your doing by buying stuff there is encouraging the thieves to keep stealing. Only realised that after my fathers shed was broken into and all his tools were stolen and turned up in the market...
    A bit of perspective please. jloner2's point is very valid.

Not all of the gear on sale is knocked off. It really depends on what you're buying. Yeah - the tools, the dvds & smokes are all a bit dodgy & only serve to keep the criminal fraternity in business. But that's not all that's on sale up there.

What about the toy, fruit 'n' veg, house plants, 2nd hand furniture, clothing stalls...?

OK Hill Billy, point taken, its not all rubbish, but a lot of it is. I for one will never go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

why did you buy stuff if it was rubbish? Surely *that's* whats keeping the dodgy lads in business?

My point exactly Hill Billy, There are over a hundred stalls selling new items like myself. Most of these are classed as casual traders, selling in a different town on different days repeating it every week, like Kildare town, Drogheda town, Swords, smithfield etc. The rest have shops and use the market as an additional outlet. Ive been up there 4 years now and I do a lot of repeat business from the market so no complaints from anyone yet ;)

tbh wrote: »
    why did you buy stuff if it was rubbish? Surely *that's* whats keeping the dodgy lads in business?

I know now and thats why I will never go back. Apologies JLoner and hope the business keeps up but twice bitten, very sore!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

I only go for the bog roll, DVd's are crap. Raids are funny.

Anyone know why the market has been closed for the last couple of Sundays? Is it gone for good?

With the number of raids that were happening I'd say it was losing too much business TBH.

Was passing there yesterday morning and there were police about (naked and uniformed) stopping cars not sure if it is related.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

was there any naked ban gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The cops had the road leading off the Naul Rd and past the market closed for some reason. When I asked him why the road was closed, he replied "Because we closed it.":confused:

Surely the raids would only inconvenience those selling goods of a questionable nature (i.e. the dodgy DVD/fags crew)? Most of the other sellers seemed legit enough any time I was there.

T-Maxx, that cop sounded like a right <SNIP>. Not exactly enouraging relations with the public, eh?

I think the questionable goods attracted a lot of people up to the market, kinda like "loss leaders" in a supermarket, with them gone fewer people will go up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

T-Maxx wrote: »
    The cops had the road leading off the Naul Rd and past the market closed for some reason. When I asked him why the road was closed, he replied "Because we closed it.":confused:
    probably pissed cos he was getting no free dvds.

I actually heard from a very reliable source why it was closed. Some very dubious activities going on there, way beyond a few pirate DVDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Like what?

Advertisement