Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TF2: Revenge of the Fallen - OFFICIAL DISCUSSION THREAD!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

SDooM wrote: »
    The temptation to go on Thurs night as well is astounding.

Yeah if anyone wants to come along we're going to the 21.10 showing in Cineworld on Parnell St, being the Nocturnal Foprm there is beers in the Woolshed before and in Fibbers after. I suspect there will be some heavy discussion as myself, Galvasean, and a few others are big fans :) All are welcome. Indeed, on that day, all will be one.

Can't make the Friday screening myself, but will be there for the discussion. Oh yeah.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ron DMC wrote: »
    I'm tempted. Might stave off 'til Sunday though. Friday's just a wee bit too soon.

Offers there if you want to. :)

Our tickets are booked though so you'd need to organise that yourself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Can't make the Friday screening myself, but will be there for the discussion. Oh yeah.

I'm looking forward to it, I am hoping the action will outway the silly. :)

Haha.. this just got deleted as spam on the Film forum... put it's actually stupidly cool.

http://www.weareautobots.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Haha.. this just got deleted as spam on the Film forum... put it's actually stupidly cool.

http://www.weareautobots.ie

Stupid work PC blocking it.

• Advertisement

Yeah. It uses your webcam to map a 3D image of Optimus Prime's head over your head.. tracks your every movement. Works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ok went to see it in the UCI in tallaght yesterday at 2.15 and these are my thoughts on it.

if you dont want to be spoiled DONT READ THE BELOW.
    ok this was weird.

on the one hand its AMAZINGLY entertaining. the effects are brilliant and the fightscene are dynamic, violent and incredibly effective. almost a brutal in places as in the comics.

but on the other as a film its just one big mess and at times seems to contradict the very universe it set up for itself. for instance its WAAAAY too long. ordinairly i wouldnt complain about that but the time is taken up with pointless crap involving humans that easily couldve been edited out and juvenile crap with "the twins" (whom you will hate by the end of this film).

in fact if i was to give ONE big massive complaint about the film its the editing. its all over the place, resulting in a film that half the time is brilliant and half the time sends you to snooze ville. ROTF doesnt have the drama that the first installment did and doesnt have the same sense thats the story is building to anything.

things just seem to happen , one after another. i get the feirce feeling that if a decent editor got at it it could be trimmed down by about 45min to be a fantastic film, instead of a two hour plus mess.

does this mean you shouldnt go see this? of course not ! its transformers , your not going to see anything like this again all year and while the film has MASSIVE faults the action sequences alone are worth the admission price. particularly the three on one fight in the forrest with prime. with more money the fight scenes are much clearer with bay avoiding the off screen stuff he did last time and the mad obscuring cameras movements.

its just that SOME of the stuff will drive you mad. stuff like how once again in a film called "Transformers" feck all charterisation is given to the transformers ! looking at the film you could easily say what the hell was the point of , for instance, ratchet even BEING in it? he shouldve had something to do when prime was struck down ala what lennox was doing when sam got caught in an explosion near the end, instead he just stands around the place. there's virtually NO interaction between the bots which is criminal. theres cool moments with characters like sideswipe but then you never see the guy again. the same could be said about arcee's triplets and sideways exists solely to get offed. theres not even banter from him. in fact for all the talk about getting soundwave right the voice sounds NOTHING like the one we all love from the TV show and he pretty much does sod all for the whole film except float in space. it'd be nice if he even had a conversation with the cons instead of just saying things to screen floating in space.

megs and starscream DO get more time and screamer is his snivelling best in this but cons like the constructicons, who have a major part in this film screen wise ,say nowt. in fact im pretty sure mixmaster long haul and scrapper dont say a fecking word the WHOLE film. and dont get me started on how those three are fighting the US military near the end at the same time as devestator is crawling up the pyramid ! speaking of which i cant let the the absolutle criminal waste of the guy go unmentioned , he doesnt fight ANYONE (except one of the retard bots who quite frankly got WAY too much screen time. ) and gets offed in the lamest anticlimax ive seen in ages. yes its cool to see mixmaster use his weapons platform mode, essentially bringing triple changers to the mix, but your left wondering if the constructicons and devestator are now TWO different beings (and musing how demoslishor recoverd from getting shot in the head by prime at the start of the film. in fact you see ALOT of dead TF come back from blackout to bonecrusher. in fact the ONE con you dont see was the guy we all though escaped, barricade.)

people used to slag off the cartoon for being stupid but the first three episodes of G1 read like shakespear compared to this contradictory tosh. i dont want to seem too harsh but like i said focus and editing was all over the place and you dont really learn that much about the fallen and the primes that you didnt know going in beforehand.

i guess the moral of the story is "turn off your brain, go to the jax when its concentrating on sams parents in france (which only seemed to be justifed to bomb the place), and enjoy the pretty fights and explosions.

theres some GREAT stuff in it. the whole NEST idea, ravage kicking arse at a military base and his new power , primes fight(s),the government threatening the bots with expulsion and the cons blowing the TFs cover with a woldwide bombardment and media campain annoucning them to the world which hopefully means in number 3 we can get the dinos because it wont be about disguise anymore (who IMO wouldve made a better device to take out devestator but there you go)

its NOT all bad, nobody blows crap up like bay .but theres just alot of waste in it and i cant help thinking a new director and writers should be brought in who'll actually concentrate on the characters. i mean would it REALLY kill someone to have prime hold a breifing with his troops? to establish a base of operations for them that ISNT a garage? prehaps introducing some of the technology that the gov whats to get their hands on that prime wount allow.

i didnt like this film as much as the first but its still better than terminator and i reckon it'll milk the box office by default. its just a shame knowing theres a great TF film to be made and this aint it.

three out of five from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

yeah the editing was absolutley dire. I went with friends who normally dislike when I start talking technical about the editing, especially on films where I would be praising or damning it and they didnt even notice it. But even they came out saying that it was bloody obvious that the film was badly cut together
    the optimus death fight is really bizarre how it randomly ends up in a forest.

On soundwave
    I actually liked his role, if they hadnt congested the film with so many decapticons, he would have been a much better character controlling all the small infiltration deceptacons etc and tracking sam etc and been a good constent to push the plot ground important aspects. Instead he acts like some spawn bot, bringing in new cons when needed

My one question though
    s it just me or were alot of *dead cons* showing up constantly throughout the film, I saw Bonecrusher in one shot and he had been decapitated by Prime, not to mention Blackout reappearing randomly. Also on Scorpinoks cameo, is it just me or was that place the exact same set as where they fought him in the first film??? I was expecting a joke or something from the marines *Hey...isnt this where that scorpion thing jumped...OH ****!!!*

also
    WHAT WAS THE POINT OF GETTING RID OF THE ANNOYING HACKERS FROM THE FIRST FILM TO REPLACE THEM WITH AN EVEN MORE ANNOYING BLOGGER?!?!?!?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

i cant answer why bonecrusher was in it but as for blackout its actually a decepticon called grindor (an exact clone kinda), but i dont understand why

well first of all i really liked it but probably a little worse than the 1st

all the action scenes, the scene were prime is kicking the $hit out of megatron, starscream and blackout/grindor is amazing, also the last half an hour was pretty good. but there was a lack of them

i liked the interaction between megatron and starscream, it felt more like the cartoon rather than the poxy 1 liner in the 1st movie

i liked how there was much more transformers in this one. i thaught the twins were slightly amusing but also annoying at times. i also loved that they added soundwave but again felt disapointed at the fact that they changed his voice

Dislikes:
    well 1st of all i didnt like the fact that a 2 hour plus film only had 2 or 3 big fight scenes. the opening in china, the forest and egypt scenes were the only ones i can think of

i also didnt like the idea of alice at all, i thaught the idea of having a decepticon that had skin was ridiculous

i will also agree about the editing it was all over the place but that has already been explained so

well in total i did really like it and would recommend it to any transformer or action movie lover, just wouldnt expect too much action
    eh...... 4/5 for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭eagleye7

Can someone please tell me
    where do skids and mudflap go, dont get me wrong i wasnt sorry they left but i cant find find clarification on this at all

The one time when they actually do anythin cool... in fact anything at all is when they start to fight devastator. I mean he bursts out his face. It was acually pretty cool

Then the both of them just disapear. did they die , did i miss something, 5 of us went to see this and none could figure out what happened.

Ok i just thought of something else as well

Megan fox has a shard of all spark right? and just forgets all about it. couldnt they use that to revive optimus.she just forgets all about it.

now i really hope i missed something but these 2 things just define how terrible the entire concept of this movie is imo and no. 1 is one of my all time favorite films

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

eagleye7 wrote: »
    Megan fox has a shard of all spark right? and just forgets all about it. couldnt they use that to revive optimus.she just forgets all about it.

Here is the answer:
    Her shard of the All Spark was used to bring back the Defecting Decepticon in the Smithsonian Museum. Can't remember his name, but the one who left the Decepticon's for the Autobots and had a Scottish accent. The old one. I guess it was consumed when it was used to bring him back.

I really enjoyed the first Transformers movie, but this one really sucked. It felt like Michael Bay did a line of coke before he went to shoot a scene, as every event was bigger, faster, louder, more dramatic than Transformers 1. Like as if he added Nitrogen Oxide into the production and resulting catalyst explosion was ridiculously fancy, but lacked substance.

Total disaster in my opinion and they should hand over the production of the 3rd film to a more reputable director like Paul Greengrass or Sam Raimi who might be able to pay true homage to the story of Transformers.
    1/5 for me, and only because Optimus Prime played a more pivotal role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭eagleye7

Liber8or wrote: »
    Here is the answer:
    Her shard of the All Spark was used to bring back the Defecting Decepticon in the Smithsonian Museum. Can't remember his name, but the one who left the Decepticon's for the Autobots and had a Scottish accent. The old one. I guess it was consumed when it was used to bring him back.

ah thanks for that,I had forgot all about that, although( and not your fault at all) thats still a bit crap
    its used to bring the appliances to life and doesnt run out there so they are almost contradicting themselves, something that they do a LOT

I mean like for the two most sought after writers at the moment i would presume ( having done off the top of my head star trek and TF2) they shouldnt be coming up with this crap shoddily put together piece of writing. Even star trek was iffy at times, yet i stil liked it.

EDIT: i just read on IMDB that the third writer was brought in because of his 'encyclopedian knowledge' or somwthing to that effect, and I know nothing about the G1 carton but to be honest it has kind of put me off the mythos judging bby that jumbled piece of noise

I dont expect perfect drama or comedy but theres just no excuse for what they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Please, please can we just add "Spoiler" to the thread title and stop using these tags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I saw the first Transformers in the cinema and admired it for what it was: a Michael Bay interpretation of a fun little cartoon. He focused a little too heavily on distracting character moments but boy oh boy when the action kicked in, was it supercool. Just fearless in-your-face battles and chases.

I thought the second one would be the Khan of the saga: tighter script, better nemesis, perhaps a poignant end leading to a third, conclusive tale. Instead what I saw was a 2 and a half hour mess of a film where there were 2 female characters who had nothing to do bar look sexy and sound stupid, Transformers who fought so fast that I couldn't see who was who and what was happening, and a plotline that was heavily convoluted and contrived whilst simultaneously being dumb.

I'm no filmmaker and I understand the writers' strike had an awful impact on the production but the writers should be ashamed. Without spoiling, they actually grafted the same scene into both Star Trek and TF2. They also wrote characters who were plain ridiculous without the associated humour. Shia Laboeuf did a decent job I thought, but everyone else either stood around shouting or ran from explosions. There were no stand out hero moments this time around.

Worst of all. Bay repeated the same mistakes he perpetrated in Bad Boys II. Namely, he bombarded the viewer with explosion after concussive explosion until the climax was anything but. You can only enjoy so many crumbling buildings, you can only persevere through so many dizzying and indecipherable bot-bashes before it all becomes one chaotic stream of consciousness from the minds of adrenaline-junkies. Imagination sprang up in interesting places but it was soon swallowed up in the vanilla and vacant storylines and where I thought the final battle would bring the action to an awesome conclusion, instead I found myself going, "Oh...that's it?"

It's purely a silly action film but I think that this, along with Terminator Salvation, proves that hurried scripts do not survive even a casual viewer's patience and that special effects and on-set rewrites cannot salvage a heartless endeavour. That's what this was: a cash cow but sorely lacking the fun and excitement and pure childlike adventure that permeated the first movie.

I hope that they don't make a third one. There's nowhere left for them to go bar space, and by now all suspension of disbelief has been blitzed. Move along Bay. You're better at the single films; sequels are your poison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 alvysinger

This man is evil. He is a demon. He makes the world a much nastier place.

Although i would like to see BAY tackle religion, like what it says here:

http://dailyblogicle.com/?p=1306

jesusbayfinal3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I really enjoyed the first Transformers film. Sure it was never going to win an oscar for best film, but it was entertaining and I left the cinema feeling good about it. It was obvious that there was going to be a sequel and with the usual diminishing quality of sequels I was expecting something that wouldn't be as good as the original. I was hoping to be surprised that it might be good. I had a huge swell of good will for this! But oh dear, I wasn't expecting a steaming pile of poo.

Truly a contender for worst film of the year. Fight scenes where I couldn't make out a single thing. It was a mess of images flashing before you eyes. A truly awful script and a story line that had zero interest. There will probably be a 3rd film and unless there is a change of director (get for example Bryan Singer) then I'll be avoiding it.

Advertisement