Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infected piercing...

Options
  • 08-06-2008 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Hey, I've had my eyebrow pierced for a couple of months and it healed fine, however I was paintballing about two weeks ago and the piercing caught on the ski goggles and tore a little, not a big deal. I looked after it for a few days and it was healing as a cut would, however in the last week a lump/spot like thing has formed at the lower hole of the piercing (not covering the ball or anything, just next to it). Any tips or advice on what to do about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Could be a keloid, could be a blood bubble... need pics really. Sea salt soak twice a day and just baby it. Also go to your local piercer to get them to check it out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Wilburt wrote: »
    Could be a keloid, could be a blood bubble... need pics really. Sea salt soak twice a day and just baby it. Also go to your local piercer to get them to check it out also.
    ^ This.

Sounds most like a keloid tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

First of all, I like your username. :p

I highly doubht its an actual keloid. Its probably just hypotropic scarring or a little lump to let you know its pissed off.
    try chamomile compresses and long, warm sea salt soaks for a few days and see if it calms down.

Much of muchness really. Is it still infected or are you worried about the scarring?

Had a peak on wikipedia;

"Two types of scars are the result of the body overproducing collagen, which causes the scar to be raised above the surrounding skin. Hypertrophic scars take the form of a red raised lump on the skin, but do not grow beyond the boundaries of the original wound, and they often improve in appearance after a few years. Keloid scars are a more serious form of scarring, because they can carry on growing indefinitely into a large, tumorous (although benign) growth.

Both hypertrophic and keloid scars are more common on younger and darker-skinned people.[citation needed] They can occur on anyone, but some people have a genetic susceptibility to these types of scarring. They can be caused by surgery, an accident, or sometimes by acne. Keloid scars can also develop from body piercings. In some people, keloid scars form spontaneously.

Although they can be a cosmetic problem, keloid scars are only inert masses of collagen and therefore completely harmless and non-contagious. However, they can be itchy or painful in some individuals. They tend to be most common on the shoulders and chest. Keloid scars are most common among people of Asian or African descent.

Alternately, a scar can take the form of a sunken recess in the skin, which has a pitted appearance. These are caused when underlying structures supporting the skin, such as fat or muscle, are lost. This type of scarring is commonly associated with acne, but can be caused by chickenpox, surgery or an accident.

Scars can also take the form of stretched skin. These are called striae and are caused when the skin is stretched rapidly (for instance during pregnancy, significant weight gain or adolescent growth spurts), or when skin is put under tension during the healing process, (usually near joints). This type of scar usually improves in appearance after a few years."

Wilburt wrote: »
    Scars can also take the form of stretched skin. These are called striae and are caused when the skin is stretched rapidly (for instance during pregnancy, significant weight gain or adolescent growth spurts), or when skin is put under tension during the healing process, (usually near joints). This type of scar usually improves in appearance after a few years."
    Just like my 'stripes'... and same reason :(
    Improves in appearance, but may never go completely.

• Advertisement

I've the same on my shoulders Damo, we can cry together over a game of wii ;)

*slaps the mancore back into Will*

Advertisement