Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop suggestion please!

• 09-06-2008 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭

My mate is looking for a DELL laptop.His maximum budget is 750 euro's (delivered),but he would ideally want to spend less.He wants to use the laptop for the following:

storing his music collection(quite a large collection)
    moderate gaming
    alot of internet surfing

Any suggestions as to what he should get?He's not looking for any extras such as extending the warranty etc. Im guessing that he should be able to get a decent laptop within his budget.

thanks folks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Check out the Dell Laptops thread under Biz / Consumer / Bargain Alerts.
    There you will find all the latest offers / discounts / vouchers.
    I bought a decent laptop from Dell last Jan, and with all the info I picked up in the forum, I was able to buy a new Dell worth 1148 Euro for 746 Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you need it just for music may I suggest you get one with a larger hard drive ie 250+ unless you want to be hauling around an external USB caddy.

Keep a mile away from "Celeron" they are utter rubbish and are basically an under powered reject chip that is only suitable for bread and butter office computers.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor is what you should be looking out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

If you need it just for music may I suggest you get one with a larger hard drive ie 250+ unless you want to be hauling around an external USB caddy.

Keep a mile away from "Celeron" they are utter rubbish and are basically an under powered reject chip that is only suitable for bread and butter office computers.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor is what you should be looking out for.

I agree. Also, if you are playing games, you should add a graphics card with at least 256Mb of RAM. Preferably 512Mb. Take a look at the box containing any of the popular games - this will give u a good idea of the minimum system reqs. for your new laptop. If you are choosing Vista as the Operating System, you should choose at least 2Gb of system RAM, otherwise the system will crawl. Preferably 3 or 4Gb.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

For gaming an 8600gt would be more than enough for what he needs but he could probably get away with an 8400. Processor wise you at that price range you should be looking at at least a core 2 duo @ 1.83Ghz or a 2Ghz Turion x2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 diehard11

i recommend Toshiba .. much better than dells.. I had my laptop for almost 8yrs and it runs good till now.. and i heard that toshiba laptops lasts longer than the other brand.. icon_rolleyes.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far guys.I have taken all onboard;)

Advertisement