Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rollover previews on boards.ie

Options
  • 09-06-2008 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi Admins,

can you consider setting up the website so that when a reader rolls over & hovers on a thread the preview pane stays on as long as you hover? Currently the preview dissappears after a few seconds. Thanks.

Great site none the less,
    G.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Gonzales wrote: »
    Hi Admins,

can you consider setting up the website so that when a reader rolls over & hovers on a thread the preview pane stays on as long as you hover? Currently the preview dissappears after a few seconds. Thanks.

Great site none the less,
    G.
    Don't move your mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

No, it disappears after about 5 seconds or so.

But yah, it doesn't bother me, I've usually decided by that time whetheri'm going to visit or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

Cremo,
    doesn't work it disappears after a few seconds...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ahh touché.

thread continue so...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hi,

That is default behaviour on Internet Explorer, other browsers such as Firefox, Opera, etc do not exhibit this restriction. Unfortunately it is not something that can be changed without changing the way the "previews" are generated entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

CuLT wrote: »
    That is default behaviour on Internet Explorer, other browsers such as Firefox, Opera, etc do not exhibit this restriction.

i'm running firefox and i get it. is there a setting i change somewhere?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

i'm running firefox and i get it. is there a setting i change somewhere?
    Hmm, I guess my Firefox install isn't vanilla, maybe I've installed a plugin that affects it.

Possibly this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah seems to happen on Firefox for me too.

The TITLE tag attribute which is used for this (as opposed to the <TITLE> tag) is implemented differently in most browsers.

Firefox only shows the first 100 characters or so, and only on one line. IE shows everything, as does Opera afaik.

As Cult says, there's nothing that can be done by boards except to completely change the way that these things are displayed. Which would be a lot of work for very little gain IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Hmm, I guess my Firefox install isn't vanilla, maybe I've installed a plugin that affects it.

Possibly this one.

that did the trick. thanks Cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Possibly this one.

D'Oh doesn't work in version 3.0

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ironically there IS a work around. Move your mouse along the thread link (be careful not to stray outside the "link" area) and the hover-text will remain visible. You need to do it once every 5 secs... :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

DeVore wrote: »
    Ironically there IS a work around. Move your mouse along the thread link (be careful not to stray outside the "link" area) and the hover-text will remain visible. You need to do it once every 5 secs
    At least my hand will get plenty od exercise moving back and forth... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

nevf wrote: »
    At least my hand will get plenty od exercise moving back and forth... :D
    Once every five seconds, eh?

Yeah, DeV's right ... it could last all night that way! >_>

Advertisement