Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Out of no were someone asking do i want to get rid of car

Options
  • 09-06-2008 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Hi today a couple of lads drove up the lane to my garden at the start of the lane it has cul-de-sac sign and a no entrty sign

My girlfiend went out in to the garden at the time and she seen them comeing in to the garden they said they were wondering what was up the lane and when they seen a car i had an old car in my garden that they wanted to no did i want them to take it away they said they would tow it out of the garden and scrap it

Now the thing is i dont use the car any more i sold it to my brother he is ment to be fixing it up but i dont think he is ever going to fix it up so im sure he would not mind geting rid of it but i dont like the idea of giveing it away to just some guys that just drive around going in to people asking them if they want there car taken away

Did they just say they wanted to no about the car as they were seen going in to the garden or does this happen alot when someone has an old car just siting there ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't mean to typecast them, but it does sound a bit dodgy, the kind of thing you might get from a traveller. Personally, I wouldn't have anything to do with them.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

If i wanted to get rid of it i would not get them to get rid of it

and they did sound like traveller's id just be woried now if they would come back and try take the car and if they could not get it they burned it out as it would catch fire to a lot of trees and would easly go out of control as someone dumped rubish in the lane a few times and they lit it on fire before not sure why and it almost burned down a factory as the fire caut on to bushes

Its just odd there is no need for anyone to be up the lane

Should i be warry about them comeing back for the car :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If i wanted to get rid of it i would not get them to get rid of it

and they did sound like traveller's id just be woried now if they would come back and try take the car and if they could not get it they burned it out as it would catch fire to a lot of trees and would easly go out of control as someone dumped rubish in the lane a few times and they lit it on fire before not sure why and it almost burned down a factory as the fire caut on to bushes

Its just odd there is no need for anyone to be up the lane

Should i be warry about them comeing back for the car :confused:

I'd be a lot more concerned about them coming back to rob your house, since it sounds to me like they were on a casing exercise and used the car as an excuse when your GF saw them. Suggest a good hard look at your security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

ART6 wrote: »
    I'd be a lot more concerned about them coming back to rob your house, since it sounds to me like they were on a casing exercise and used the car as an excuse when your GF saw them. Suggest a good hard look at your security.

+1 Dont mean to stereotype but be careful,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Possibly they were checking out the house with a view to robbing it.
    Like if you are down a cul de sac then how did they even know about the car?

Now them wanting it for scrap isn't unusual and many of them trade and make their money this way.
    So I wouldn't give them the car for free if they wanted it, you should charge something.

But you need to ask why they were down there in the first place. And if they come again and ask "when I can pick it up" or something like that, DO NOT tell them what hours you and your gf work or when the house is empty. Best to be safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

ART6 wrote: »

That's exactly what they were up to I'd imagine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

esel wrote: »
    Don't mean to typecast them, but it does sound a bit dodgy, the kind of thing you might get from a traveller. Personally, I wouldn't have anything to do with them.

I have done this in the past... i guess theres no problem with people enquiring about a car but generally i wouln't entertain people unless i felt they where serious...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

This was most certainly travellers and 2 possibilities could arise from this.

1. they were checking out the place for a potential robbery, I would not be overly concerned about them coming back as they were most likely just opportunists hoping the place was empty when they drove up.

2. you let them take the car away and they come back demanding money for providing the service of taking your car away for scrappage.

Either way I'd be getting a lock for my gate and looking at the security systems in the house...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Folks, please go easy on the tar and the big brush and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If the car is registered to your brother or anyone in your family, then don't get rid of it to anyone but a recognised scrappie and be sure to send back the documents to Shannon yourself. People offering to offload cars for you generally have an alterior motive in mind, a lot of times that motive is far from legal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

That happens a lot, especially out the country. If you have an old car lying around the yard, there is a good chance a few travelers will come in and ask if you want to sell it. There is nothing dodgy about it. They're just looking to make a few quid. Either on scrap or to do it up and sell it on. I know a few people that sold to them and had no problems. They'll pay in cash and take it away themselves. No fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

A lad called to my door one day asking would I sell the car. It was the neighbour's car and was a pile of junk Fiesta. In retrospect I should have said yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I'd tell them to get off my land before i "release the hounds"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

As said by others, take a good look at your home security, and try to be at home as often as possible for a few weeks. (reasonably, don't get too paranoid!)

Happens a lot in rural areas, travellers etc. scouting out places, if the place is empty while they scout, they might hit it then, or later at night.

I would think your car was just a useful talking point for them to excuse themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Be very careful and check to see if they are staking out the house. The car was just an excuse as they probably didn't expect to find anybody home. A friend of mine lives in a nice country house, before Xmas he left the house for 1 hour to pick up his kids. When he returned home the house was ransacked. The local guards told him a couple of houses were broken into over that week and the guards had been moving on travellers who in the area. The guards said the travellers would be dropped off, they'd lie in wait until the homeowners left, they'd break in and once finished they'd be picked by a waiting car. There are usually 3-4 to a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Two words:

Security gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Id love to put more scuirty on the house or some at lest even if there was an alarm no body would be able to here it i cant relly do anything as it not my house im renting

Should i say something to the landlord not that he would care as he lives in england and would ratther spend more on a rug with holes in it then what the house im in is worth

Im in the house most of the time but ill be going away for a week soon and will be worrying about the house and more so the stuff thats in the house

Im almost tempted to ask a friend would they mind liveing in my house while im away

Christ on a bike but ye are a paranoid bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

BnA wrote: »
    Christ on a bike but ye are a paranoid bunch.

Thanks for that....erm........insight

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Some travellers offered to buy my car when I pulled into a Statoil in shannon, asked me how much I'd want for it if I was to sell it. I said I'd be lucky to get over €2k for it and they considered offering it to me on the spot. They didn't seem to care about the condition at all or the fact that it was full (literally) of junk as I was driving my mate to his new appartment!

I'd just make sure you have everything locked up, it's not that unusual.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that....erm........insight

:rolleyes:
    I'm just saying, there is no need to be so bloody paranoid.

It is a regular occurance in the country. If you have an aul Banger lyin' around and the Travellers see it, they'll probably try to buy it off you. Nothing dodgy about it. Just a bit of wheelin' and dealin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Happened to my neighbour. They took the car and it was never seen again. All good. Bloody car finally gone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Pah!

I've just sold a little Pug 106 there last week, and one night my sister informed me that a member of the traveling community knocked on the door asking about the car, now the car was parked across the road from my house.

So if they want it they'll ask about it. I dont see a problem. She told him that i wasnt in and to call back later.

Slightly OT i posted said car on carzone.ie and from the time off putting the as on at 6.30pm the car was sold and i was hailing a taxi at 10.30pm the same night.

Who said the 2nd hand car market is dead?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Who said the 2nd hand car market is dead?:pac:

It's picking up again thank god(touch wood):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The way I look at it is: if the car is a classic (mini, etc), and one lad asks about taking it, that's cool. But if a bunch of lads come up in a car asking about it... that's dodge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

ninty9er wrote: »
    Two words:

Security gates.

One word:

Shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Same thing happend to me 2 weeks ago, 2 red haired gentelman probably of galway origin knocked on my front door at 9'O clock at night wondering did I want them to remove my 300bhp Subaru for free...

The got a swif PFO, cheeky buggers, they had to be casing the place as it was hid behind a shed at the back of the house with security gates, they had to have got around the back of the house to know it was there...

yea i'd be worried, I still am, have the alarm and security gates but as they say in bangkok "Where's a will there's a way"

Might be worth telling a local garda that you thought it was suspicious.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That happens a lot, especially out the country. If you have an old car lying around the yard, there is a good chance a few travelers will come in and ask if you want to sell it. There is nothing dodgy about it. They're just looking to make a few quid. Either on scrap or to do it up and sell it on. I know a few people that sold to them and had no problems. They'll pay in cash and take it away themselves. No fuss.

This happened to my friend's parents, however it was a rather obviously neglected car in a driveway. They took it for like €50, and there was no sign of them again. This was in Limerick city.

Wouldn't know what to think if it was a car you could not see from anywhere outside your property...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm just saying, there is no need to be so bloody paranoid.

It is a regular occurance in the country. If you have an aul Banger lyin' around and the Travellers see it, they'll probably try to buy it off you. Nothing dodgy about it. Just a bit of wheelin' and dealin'.

+1

Years ago, we got an old late 80s Toyota Starlet with valid NCT and tax for free through a friend of the family who was working for a major car dealer at the time. Mrs unkel was supposed to learn to drive in it, but she never really got around doing so. A traveller youngfella rang the doorbell and politely asked about it, as in did we want to sell it to him. It had just run out of tax at the time. I left him standing at the door, had a quick word with the wife, and told the fella the car was his. He was delighted! Obviously, we got the paperwork sorted, before handing over the keys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Is it not currently or intended to be illegal to sell clapped out cars to kids.

A little paranoia is not a bad thing. Burglars are pretty brazen these days. My uncle recently disturbed burglars in his house in the daytime, they scarpered. They came back a week later to finish the job.
    Another place I know was targetted. The owner brandished a shotgun then called the guards. The same guys came back a few days later with crowbars etc and didnt give up trying until a shot was fired. These incidents did not happen in any disreputable area. One was in an expensive Dublin suburb, the other in a sleepy country town.

Advertisement