Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #37 - David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Great choice.
    I was born 11 or 12 years after the release of this album, so obviously I wouldn't be in a position to judge how ground breaking this must have been.

Thisalbum is about a Martian that fell to earth and started to live the rock and roll lifestyle, no one can deny that for subject matter it was pretty original! Maybe it was the time that it was released that it got away with being so ridiculous, or maybe it was because the music was so dam good? Lyrics are brilliant, the music is beautiful. Its hard now a days to describe this as rock or metal (seen as its on this message board) but i guess for innovation it fits here, and of course the element of glam rock.

I would love for some of todays original, break through music to be as widely accepted as Bowies, but I guess thats the times we live in.
    We can all look back to this and enjoy it!

I've never actually watched the movie.....i bid a few times on ebay for it, is it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

A true classic, I remember reading a poll at the start of the 80's and this album was up there with the pistols never mind the bollocks, and television's marquee moon as one of the most influential album of the 70's. 30 years later and I would say it is the album of the 70's.

For someone to get introduced to Bowie this is indeed a great starting point. Although it is a bit of a slow burner, the first 2 tracks five years and soul love are ballads but then its off to cosmic pop rock with Moonage daydream, and housewives' favourite Starman. There are a load of great rock songs (not as dark or dirty as Alladin sane, or man who sold the world) such as sufragette city, star, hang on to yourself. they are all well crafted, arranged and produced. Mick Ronson should take a lot of credit for the arrangements, and lovely guitar work.

And then there are the anthemic Ziggy Stardust and Rock n Roll suicide. heres Hang on to yourself and Rock and roll suicide, because you're wonderful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

God I've got to listen to this again. My sister was the Bowie fan when we were teens and as she was a big fan I could not be really (yeah I know, sad!). But I did listen to Bowie stuff on the QT. ;)

Hard to pick and holes in his one, like all the best albums its a great case of mix and match songs combining to deliver a whole thats greater than the parts (which are all very good). Mick Ronson never did get the credit he deserves.

Mike.

gucci wrote: »

I've never actually watched the movie.....i bid a few times on ebay for it, is it any good?

Its well worth checking out, contains a lot of material from Alladin Sane, Man who sold the world and Hunky Dory. If you like your Ziggy you'll love the film

Must get the finger out and buy it so. (the movie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

This is a fantastic album which has great depth while at the same time is great fun. The lyrics are ludicrous, some of the music sounds almost shambolic but everything comes together in a coherent and uplifting whole. Its one of those albums that when I listen to it alone, I feel like theres only 20 people on the planet and this is one of those songs that has me jumping up and down on the sofa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm glad this made it in. I haven't listened to it in a long time but it's one of those albums that manages to stand up on it's musical merits without sounding too dated. Definitely a worthy choice this week!
    Its hard now a days to describe this as rock or metal
    Why? You call it glam rock yourself in the next sentence of your post!

malice_ wrote: »
    Why? You call it glam rock yourself in the next sentence of your post!

I know i did....i was kind of thinking out loud!!! But it seems too classy to be glam rock or something, i know its about cheesy content like aliens etc, but it seems way above glam rock now you look back at it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I know i did....i was kind of thinking out loud!!! But it seems too classy to be glam rock or something, i know its about cheesy content like aliens etc, but it seems way above glam rock now you look back at it!!
    I know what you mean. I suppose calling it "high quality timeless glam rock" is a bit of a mouthful :D.

This is Glam Rock - no more no less, along with the Velvets/Lou Reed, T-Rex, Roxy Music, The New York Dolls, The Move, Slade, Wizard, Sparks, Mott the Hoople and the rest - all great bands with great songs that made a huge contribution to the development of rock and with nothing to be ashamed of. The shame is that they are lumped in with The Glitter band, Mud, David Essex and all that sh1te that are a stain on humanity never mind their supposed genre

• Advertisement

MoominPapa wrote: »
    This is Glam Rock - no more no less, along with the Velvets/Lou Reed, T-Rex, Roxy Music, The New York Dolls, The Move, Slade, Wizard, Sparks, Mott the Hoople and the rest - all great bands with great songs that made a huge contribution to the development of rock and with nothing to be ashamed of. The shame is that they are lumped in with The Glitter band, Mud, David Essex and all that sh1te that are a stain on humanity never mind their supposed genre
    Yeah i agree, when you list off the best of glam rock, its as good as the best of any genre, but of course there always are the few embarassing ones in every genre.
    Slightly off topic, but would queen be considered glam?

Killer Queen is about as glam as you can get I reckon, but as their success came a little later than the rest I don't think they usually get tagged but I would consider them very glam up to the the news of the world anyway

Slightly off topic, but would queen be considered glam?

Good question! Personally I'd say yes as they have very much the attributes of a Glam rock band

Make up, Dramatic, Costumes, Arty, and in Mercury's case androgyny.

However if you were to buy a CD with TOP 20 GLAM written on it would Queen figure? probably not, but Smokie, Suzi Quatro, The Glitter band etc would.

I think GLAM ROCK is great, I grew up with it as a kid and those songs, despite the fact I was 4 years old, have stuck with me. Certainly Slade, T-rex, Wizzard and the Sweet were radio friendly pop rock. Its only when I got much older that I discover there were fantastic bands such as Roxy Music, and Sparks going on too.

Advertisement