Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening Protocol

Options
  • 09-06-2008 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Any of you guys have an opinion (sensible ones please :D) when it comes to protocol regarding a neighbours plant?

A neighbour who's back garden backs onto mine (I don't know them) has a large bush/vine(???) on his side of the wall which is now grown right over the top of the wall and down my side of the wall.

I know bugger all about gardening, so would it be OK for me to just hack this thing down? (only on my side of course). Or would the proper thing to do is knock on his door and ask him to trim it down?

I'm not sure about knocking on the door incase he thinks I am taking the pee and just can't be bothered trimming it myself.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Try knocking on his door and telling him you're cutting it and you just wanted to let him know. It's his responsibility not to allow it invade your garden, but now that he has, it's your right to cut it back to your boundary line.

If he's a halfway decent human being he'll set a day at the weekend to help you cut it back into shape. If he's a git, you don't have to feel guilty about butchering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Try knocking on his door and telling him you're cutting it and you just wanted to let him know. It's his responsibility not to allow it invade your garden, but now that he has, it's your right to cut it back to your boundary line. .

Cheers JD

If he's a git, you don't have to feel guilty about butchering it.

He...He..:D It, would be a butcher job as well. Alan Titchmarsh I am not.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You are entitled to cut anything that hangs into your garden.
    You are oblidged by law to actually hand him back anything you do cut, he'll probably refuse it though. ;)

Advertisement