Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 200w - own routes

• 09-06-2008 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a new Garmin last week - am loving it so far. Don't need foreign maps or speed camera info, just directions!

Anyway, I was wondering if it was possible to upload your own routes to this model? Does it 'learn' the preferred route? i.e driving from Dundrum into town, it offers one route, but if I drive a new route, will it learn it and remember it for next time? If not, it should! :pac:

I know there is functionality to enter via points, but I find that kindof messy....

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No. It wont learn preferred routes.
    If you drive the route 100 times a month, it will still point you in what it believes is the best route..

I find that GPS receivers are really only useful when you are going somewhere and you don't know the best way of getting there. There is no replacement for local knowledge (traffic, traffic lights, commercial vehicles, svhools, etc.) and you'll often find that the route chosen by the Garmin will not present a better option than your 'best' route. Sometimes it can be fun to 'follow the GPS' on longer routes, as it can take you down some pretty wild roads!

Don't think you can upload routes to the 250. The website suggests that it doesn't have support for routes (routes=0). More of an A to B GPS receiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

thanks a lot krusty!

I bought one because I have an appalling sense of direction - and that's no exageration. I'm useless! I can read maps no problem, but doing that on the road is not safe, and a pain if i've to keep pulling over.

To be honest, once it can get me from A to B, then I'm happy, whether or not its a few KM's longer than necessary.

It'd be handy however if it could 'record' a route, so that if someone is with me and show's me the optimum route from A to B, then I'd be able to retrace it at a later stage when I'm alone. (yes, my navigation skills are *that* bad!)

Any workarounds would be most welcome!

I can tell you how to do it on any routable GPS receiver, but I just don't think that yours has that functionality. You could always save a location, and use that as a Via point to ensure that it always takes you the way you want to go, but you've already suggested you know how to do that..

But then again, I don't have a 250, so I'm not certain. Quite a few 250 owners here, so I'm sure someone else will be along with some helpful advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

The Garmin Nuvi 760 can permanently store routes

(best prices from komplett.ie & elara.ie)

eirman wrote: »
    The Garmin Nuvi 760 can permanently store routes

(best prices from komplett.ie & elara.ie)
    Now if only Glowing had purchased a 760.

• Advertisement
Advertisement