Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Additives

Options
  • 09-06-2008 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hello All,

Im sure its been posted before. I just wanted to know if anyone has used fuel additives such as Toluene, if so did you get any noticable difference in performance and/or MPG. From looking at other motoring forums Ive noticed that it seems to be commonplace to use fuel additives in the UK and US.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would look at them as similar to that blue stuff one puts in the toilet cistern, i.e. MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

I would look at them as similar to that blue stuff one puts in the toilet cistern, i.e. MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN.

Think thats a bit of a generalisation, Toluene is what formula one cars used to use in the 80s, it was subsequently banned when they were trying to reduce the speeds and increase safety. So i assume it must have some Octane boosting qualities, i dont think Toluene is available in Halfords :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I use E5 all the time now, does that count as an additive?

There's definitely a slight performance gain and better MPG.
    In saying that, the car is JDM and is mapped for the higher octane - most euro cars aren't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

stevec wrote: »
    I use E5 all the time now, does that count as an additive?

There's definitely a slight performance gain and better MPG.
    In saying that, the car is JDM and is mapped for the higher octane - most euro cars aren't.

i agree, if your worried about fuel octane ratings etc then you should be usinf maxol's E5, its 99 ron and no over the counter octane booster can bring standard petrol to that level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

kceire wrote: »
    i agree, if your worried about fuel octane ratings etc then you should be usinf maxol's E5, its 99 ron and no over the counter octane booster can bring standard petrol to that level.

You're agreeing with me then??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

Are you findin the RS4 lacking in the performance department MSporty? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I used fuel additives a few years ago. Yes you do get better mpg but when you add the cost of the additive you are not making any savings.

You're agreeing with me then??:confused:

isint that what i said??:confused:

kceire wrote: »
    isint that what i said??:confused:
    I wasn't sure - sorry.:)

Yeah, E5 FTW:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have been using whatever cleaning additive Airton Fiat push for diesels on the auld pairs cars (I have to manage all the servicing for some reason) and it has a noticeable impact on MPG for a while - not sure if it actually covers the cost of it though!

• Advertisement

I wasn't sure - sorry.:)

Yeah, E5 FTW:pac:

No Probs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

Toluene is a dangerous chemical.... beware :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

joedumper wrote: »
    Toluene is a dangerous chemical.... beware :rolleyes:

Tri Nitro Toluene = TNT.

Yeah, its a bit dangerous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

also highly carcinogenic, flammable/explosive and causes the skin on yer hands to flake off :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

A few people on the Audi RS246 forum were talking about using Toluene to boost performance and make their cars more fuel efficient. To be honest id be more interested in the fuel efficiency properties of an additive, i think i have enough power as it is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

MSporty wrote: »
    Think thats a bit of a generalisation, Toluene is what formula one cars used to use in the 80s, it was subsequently banned when they were trying to reduce the speeds and increase safety. So i assume it must have some Octane boosting qualities, i dont think Toluene is available in Halfords :D
    You could say the same about nitrous oxide which can be added to the fuel system in a kit form, incidentally Quinn Direct prohibit the use of this stuff on their proposal forms. I am talking of the fuel additives that are sold on the shelves in supermarket stores like Tesco and Halfords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 guju121

Just brough in an evo 8 from the uk and am wondering what way to fuel it as the super unleaded is unavailable here.
    According to the owners manual, you are supposed to use super unleaded but if you put in 95 ron, the engine remaps itself to suit with a loss in power.
    My question is then, do I need to get the engine remapped for the 95 ron or is there any need.
    Also if I was to put in octane booster, what it the best one to bring 95 ron up to super unleaded levels

Thanks for any advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Just watch it lift the paint off the car if any spills on the paintwork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Just watch it lift the paint off the car! Nothing better than toluene.

Anyone ever use " Dyno-Tab max strength octane booster ". They come in tablet form instead of a bottle. Claim a 10 point increase in ron

• Advertisement

guju121 wrote: »
    Just brough in an evo 8 from the uk and am wondering what way to fuel it as the super unleaded is unavailable here.
    According to the owners manual, you are supposed to use super unleaded but if you put in 95 ron, the engine remaps itself to suit with a loss in power.
    My question is then, do I need to get the engine remapped for the 95 ron or is there any need.
    Also if I was to put in octane booster, what it the best one to bring 95 ron up to super unleaded levels

Thanks for any advice
    It'll adjust itself to the 95RON without any re-mapping.

Best thing to put in the tank would be the Maxol E5, 99RON. Same price as everyone elses regular unleaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thanks for any advice
    Castrol Valvemaster - never heard anything bad about it.

Not your ornery onager

Put ordinary unleaded in it today, no octane booster. Notices a big loss in power.
    Is that Maxol E5 stuff really 99 ron, sounds perfect for what I need. Is it available in Maxol stations now, had a look while passing one in Maynooth, Clane and Naas today, but pumps just say unleaded, no mention of the new E5 stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Put ordinary unleaded in it today, no octane booster. Notices a big loss in power.
    Is that Maxol E5 stuff really 99 ron, sounds perfect for what I need. Is it available in Maxol stations now, had a look while passing one in Maynooth, Clane and Naas today, but pumps just say unleaded, no mention of the new E5 stuff

Maynooth deff have it, filled up there last week. All the unleaded maxol sell now is E5.

I think any station that has the E85 pumps has E5 for definate, not sure if every single Maxol in the country sells it.

But Maynooth has been E5 for quite a while now.

Noticed the Maxol's up north selling B5 diesel also!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

ive the silvia mapped for 95 octane and if im going giving it a good spanking i usually add in soome fuchsoctane booster as it reduces the knock in the engine

Surely that should be "I've the silvia incompetently mapped for 95 octane"

If its mapped for 95 octane it won't knock on 95 octane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

MSporty wrote: »
    Hello All,

Im sure its been posted before. I just wanted to know if anyone has used fuel additives such as Toluene, if so did you get any noticable difference in performance and/or MPG. From looking at other motoring forums Ive noticed that it seems to be commonplace to use fuel additives in the UK and US.

The TV how 5Th Gear had an excellent indpendent test on a test rig of various additives

See here http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?lnk=401&featureid=931&pageid=-1&show=s12e5&section=Consumer

The fuel additives decreased performence every time!

Your ECU and Turbo would have to be adjusted and reprogrammed to match your additive laden fuel and you probably would have bugger all difference anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

MYOB wrote: »
    Surely that should be "I've the silvia incompetently mapped for 95 octane"

If its mapped for 95 octane it won't knock on 95 octane.
    not completly true it will knock get a hard driving as im not getting as much air in as needed due to drifting ie can get a full blast of air n through the front mount;)

• Advertisement

not completly true it will knock get a hard driving as im not getting as much air in as needed due to drifting ie can get a full blast of air n through the front mount;)

So it only knocks when you're absolutely abusing the car, then? Right so, its absolutely useless for anyone sane, then...

Advertisement