Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Additives

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

Yes :D

Tis great craic altogether bein insane !!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

MYOB wrote: »
    So it only knocks when you're absolutely abusing the car, then? Right so, its absolutely useless for anyone sane, then...
    abusing the car on track;)also wit the weather changes can efffect knock ie colder air less knock wit normal driving knock rarely sees over 7 getting ragged witout octane booster 50 wit octane booster 25 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

joedumper wrote: »
    Yes :D

Tis great craic altogether bein insane !!!

:D
    insane bishopscourt style:D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

Daaaamn Right !!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 2manyturbos

guju121 wrote: »
    Just brough in an evo 8 from the uk and am wondering what way to fuel it as the super unleaded is unavailable here.
    According to the owners manual, you are supposed to use super unleaded but if you put in 95 ron, the engine remaps itself to suit with a loss in power.
    My question is then, do I need to get the engine remapped for the 95 ron or is there any need.
    Also if I was to put in octane booster, what it the best one to bring 95 ron up to super unleaded levels

Thanks for any advice

I've been using E5 from Maxol because I know the Ethanol runs cooler and is more resistant to knock, but I was unaware that it is 99 ron. Is this true? Because if so, at ordinary unleaded price it is a bargain.

My car is also a Mitsubishi, but is GDI, not performance tuned. Unfortunately it is Japanese market and the CR is 11:1 so it needs the best fuel to be right.

I've tried a lot of boosters down the years. I've had a variety of cars, twin turbo Legacys, Mitsi Mivecs, all needing good fuel. The mapping detects poor fuel and retards the ignition, so you get inefficient low power running. Really good fuel makes a lot of horses wake up in Japanese imports. :)

Up to recently I used Shell V power plus Nitrox boost. That was a good combination. I figure it was at least 98, and went very well.

By accident I found a better one. I was avoiding buying Bardahl, because the tin stated that it increased octane, but neglected to say by how many points, so I figured it was a scam. Because Nitrox was out of stock, I tried a few tins. It is by far the best response I have got from anything up to now. :eek:

At present I am using a tin of Bardahl per tankful, a tank is around 50 litres. I use this mixed in Maxol E5. The car is driving so smooth it is like new. It costs me nothing to use the booster because it increases the range of a tankful. Each tank now gives me 50 to 100 more kilometres than it used with ordinary unleaded. Tonight I filled up at 595 kilometres which I am more than happy with.

You could do worse than try this stuff out for a tank or two. I get it in CPL Maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

but I was unaware that it is 99 ron. Is this true?

My car is also a Mitsubishi, but is GDI, not performance tuned. Unfortunately it is Japanese market and the CR is 11:1 so it needs the best fuel to be right.

Yes it's true 99RON - its all on the maxol website.

I've an FTO mivec and she loves E5 - like cream to a kitty.

The JDM cars are all mapped up to 100RON so you can't really go wrong with it, wouldn't have thought mixing in a booster would give you much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Just went and got some of that Bardahl stuff, my car is best run on 98 Octane fuel so I will see if it makes any difference to performance and economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭blackbox

not completly true it will knock get a hard driving as im not getting as much air in as needed due to drifting ie can get a full blast of air n through the front mount;)

The tendency to knock is greatest if the engine is running lean. If you are getting less air due to drifting it will run rich, so this is not the cause of your knocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 2manyturbos

stevec wrote: »
    Yes it's true 99RON - its all on the maxol website.

I've an FTO mivec and she loves E5 - like cream to a kitty.

The JDM cars are all mapped up to 100RON so you can't really go wrong with it, wouldn't have thought mixing in a booster would give you much more.

I was unaware the Maxol E5 is as high as 99, I thought maybe 97. However, I have run using Vpower on it's own and also run using E5 on it's own. It runs OK on either, but adding the Bardahl makes it run really smooth, good throttle pickup, and like I mentioned 50 to 100 kms better per tank.

I interpret this as probable total absence of knock [ yes, my engine is designed lean burn for economy, so will knock and retard if fuel is sub-optimal] with subsequent absence of retardation by the fuel map. This opinion is supported by the markedly better economy I'm getting.

You might be right that the use of the booster on top of E5 is overkill, but it feels much better and is delivering the economy, so I have to presume it is making good use of the extra points the Bardahl booster gives [whatever number that is :rolleyes:] Is it possible maybe that E5 is stated to be 99, but in practice is delivering 97 or 98 most of the time??

This may sound paranoid, but I doubt very much if the NSAI is checking that they are actually achieving 99, particularly as they are not pricing it as premium unleaded. I will still continue to use it full time, even if I am suspicious if it is really measures 99 RON. :p

:)

Advertisement