Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed gear conversion

Options
  • 09-06-2008 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

(via bikesnobnyc)

What is the point of this?

bmc+fixie+3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It's a zen thing, you feel totally connected to the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It prevents awkward and embarrasing freewheeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think maybe you've missed my point?

The bike has Campy Record shifters. On a fixed gear conversion.

The bike has zero-gravity brakes. On a fixed gear conversion.

The whole thing is just crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Have you posted a picture that isn't showing up on my computer or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Oh! You mean this one?

bmc+fixie+1.jpgbmc+fixie+2.jpgbmc+fixie+3.jpg

Probably a singlespeed rather than a fixed wheel since he's got two brakes. I imagine it's reasonably light. I can't figure out how he's tensioning the chain though - magic ratio? I also hope he's not more that 5 feet away with that locking technique.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jwwie

i agree, the bike is completely ridiculous and way over the top. im sure the bike cost a fortune. i love to ride fixed gear and i think the owner is missing the point. i would equate this to the tricked-out H2 hummer of bicycles. totally impractical and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It is a strange one all right, completely over the top. In fairness they are Record brakes, rather than shifters. The componentry doesn't seem to add up though, just look at those pedals.

Still can't beat those other two bikes he posted, "The Riddle" and "Trail of Tears 2k8".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That frame is worth around $3,600 . It's the same one Flandis "won" the Tour on in 2006 and Vino and Kloeden rode last year. I can't help put think that it was rigged up as a fixie as a joke.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Morgan wrote: »
    Probably a singlespeed rather than a fixed wheel since he's got two brakes. I imagine it's reasonably light. I can't figure out how he's tensioning the chain though - magic ratio? I also hope he's not more that 5 feet away with that locking technique.
    Rear hub looks like an ENO eccentic, with a freewheel on the flip side. Gearing looks like 48/17, so might be for a hilly area: rear brake would be a good idea as a drag brake on the descents.
    Me, I'd love to be able to afford to build the lightest fixie possible, it'd be a blast to ride.

Advertisement