Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me build a machine #25846331

Options
  • 09-06-2008 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Mornin folks

Another one of these threads!!

Well it looks like i will "have" to build a machine up here....

My old machine is Athlon64 X2 4400+, 4GB RAM, 2*7800GT, MSI S939 Diamond and a lot of hard disks... and built back in 2005..

Shipping it to Norway is expensive as well as awkward as its in a Thermaltake 8003 Armor case which are heavy and impossible to get shipping crates for.

Soooo... I have decided to take a look at whats out there, but I have been out of the hardware game for a while.

My main focus will be a decent gaming machine, and able to handle decent sound for my other work

Was looking at the intel chips even tho I would be a big fan of AMD, but I generally want the best performance right now.

Also GFX, last time I was looking at these things, it was 8800GTX cards but I havent had the chance to do any research

So looking for ideas now... probably purchase going into the autumn months.

Price range.. we can worry about that in a while :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

2 or 3 months is a long time, by then the new Nvidia/Ati cards will be coming down in price and Intel could have the successor to the Core 2 Duo ( Nehalem )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Hence why I am asking now, as I havent been following the technology as closely as I was...

Normally I would know that chips are in the pipeline :o

So looking for more advice rather than a build, as in whats new/hot whats coming/expected in say 2 to 3 months so that I dont go off and build something without knowing that a week after i built it, a new successor chip/card appears and annoys the hell outta me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

New Ati and Nvidia cards are out in a few weeks, suppose to be twice as fast as previous generation, HD4870x2 and GTX280 being the big hitters..

Intel's new cpu Nehalem will be coming in September or October, but that date may change..

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3326&p=1

I find this site good for keeping up with new tech..

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=144

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Cool

I had a quick pop onto Komplett and saw the 9800GX2 cards and new Intel chips so said I would ask before building a new rig whats current etc

So any suggestions would be welcome or what to look for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I think you should look at the new Hybrid Graphics solution
    coming out from Nvidia.

Basically you have your normal discrete graphics card and also
    onboard graphics. The onboard graphics are capable of running
    the aero interface and HD playback. Basically your main graphics
    card can be turned off when you aren't doing anything heavy.
    Saves quite a bit of energy. (Nearly 60Watts) :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement