Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canceling my BT BB contract. What will I need to pay?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Thinking about moving over to UPC broadband as I already have Chorus TV and I don't require a landline phone.

But, i'm just wondering what is the usual severance procedure with BT? Do they have a set penalty fee to end a contract?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Thinking about moving over to UPC broadband as I already have Chorus TV and I don't require a landline phone.

But, i'm just wondering what is the usual severance procedure with BT? Do they have a set penalty fee to end a contract?

If you have completed your minimum term as per the contract then it is usually a matter of giving one months notice.

With BT be ultra careful that you inform them in writing ask for acknowledgment of cancellation and above all cancel any direct debit you may have with them.

AFAIK UTV are the only ones who have a ransom payment to escape once you have completed your minimum contract period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Hi

If you have started a new contract they might held you to terms though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dub45 wrote: »
    If you have completed your minimum term as per the contract then it is usually a matter of giving one months notice.
    I thought it was one months notice too. But check their own terms and see section 8.3 an d it says
    8.3 BT or the Customer may terminate a Service or the Agreement upon serving 14 days' prior written notice to the other party provided however that if the Customer terminates a Service or the Agreement before the expiry of any applicable Minimum Period then the Customer shall be liable to pay to BT in accordance with clause 3.12 the relevant Termination Charge in respect of that Service, in the case of termination of a Service, or the relevant aggregate Termination Charges, in the case of termination of the Agreement. Termination of the Service or Agreement pursuant to this clause shall be effective on the expiry of the 14 day notice period.
    Only 14 days notice needed according to that. If you are a customer since before April 08, the old terms are here but it mentions the same 14 day notice. There's a form here for cessation of line services, you might want to use that. Fax it to them, email a copy and send another one by registered post.
    With BT be ultra careful that you inform them in writing ask for acknowledgment of cancellation and above all cancel any direct debit you may have with them.

I couldn't emphasise these points, in particular, strongly enough. BT will almost certainly "loose" your termination request, continue service on your line, continue billing you, complain to you about not paying this bill, pass this bill to debt collectors who will in turn threaten legal action against you. I say this because it's exactly what's happening to me right now. I have everything in writing though, and I'll be going after them for the money they owe me very shortly. First, to sort out the debt collector though.

jor el wrote: »

I couldn't emphasise these points, in particular, strongly enough. BT will almost certainly "loose" your termination request, continue service on your line, continue billing you, complain to you about not paying this bill, pass this bill to debt collectors who will in turn threaten legal action against you. I say this because it's exactly what's happening to me right now. I have everything in writing though, and I'll be going after them for the money they owe me very shortly. First, to sort out the debt collector though.

My God! It is appalling to think that after all these years this type of crap is still going on! Here we have a mulitnational who year after year cannot get their act together on the most fundamental aspect of dealing with a customer.

Even if they were giving BB away for nothing nobody should recommend them to anybody. If Ireland were a halfway civilised country they would be shut down until they got their act together. It also brings home what I am always ranting about and that is the inadequacies of the direct debit system. Have you tried contacting IPSO to report BT if they have abused your direct debit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

Just got off the phone from UPC and I can definately get their new 20Mb service. I am totally fed up with BT/Eircom promises, delays & let downs so I want to terminate my BT contract.
    I'm about 3 months into their 3MB & Total Talk contract but I don't understand the terms of that contract. Does anybody know what it will cost me to tell them what to do with their service?

• Advertisement

If you're only 3 months in, then you've 9 months left and a termination charge will apply. It doesn't say what that charge is though, so you'll have to ask them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

Just got off the phone from UPC and I can definately get their new 20Mb service. I am totally fed up with BT/Eircom promises, delays & let downs so I want to terminate my BT contract.
    I'm about 3 months into their 3MB & Total Talk contract but I don't understand the terms of that contract. Does anybody know what it will cost me to tell them what to do with their service?

I'm also with BT, and I'm satisfied with my broadband connection...
    Just be aware that you will have to pay the remaining months of your contract and maybe some extra charge.
    But most of all, be aware that going for UPC/Chorus can be a bit of a lottery. There's a lot of people on this forum who could confirm. And although the 20MB figure seems attractive, you'll never get that much, plus you still get a download cap...

I must say I'm suspicious about NTL quality, I will be till someone proves me wrong.

Save yourself the trouble/time/energy, bear with them for 9 months, then you can leave them. They're pretty good value for money (in a 'Rip-off' Ireland perspective...).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ok well I canceled my BT BB last week, it should be getting disconnected this week. They also said they didn't require any written notice. I took the name of the person who said this and the time of the call. I also asked if I could cancel my Direct Debit at the bank and they gave me the go ahead so there shouldn't be any spurious extra bills coming through. There was also no disconnection charge even though i'd only signed up to the business BB 2 months ago.

I rang UPC last week and they called today, sorted out a white noise issue I was having with the digital tv and also set me up with BB. Couldn't be happier. I'll speedtest the line when I get home.

But still 12Mb/s for €40 a month when I was paying for a 8Mb/s business BB with BT (which they never gave me a static IP for), line rental, and a mandatory phone package which I never used which all came to over €100 a month. It really was a no brainer decision to switch.

EDIT: Just read, the package i'm on has been upgraded for free to 20Mb/s with no cap... sweet! :D

ok well I canceled my BT BB last week, it should be getting disconnected this week. They also said they didn't require any written notice. I took the name of the person who said this and the time of the call.

I also asked if I could cancel my Direct Debit at the bank and they gave me the go ahead so there shouldn't be any spurious extra bills coming through. There was also no disconnection charge even though i'd only signed up to the business BB 2 months ago.

BT's billing is legendarily bad!!! Have a look here:rolleyes: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56187497&postcount=4

Take my advice and cancel your account in writing!!! Mention that you wish to cancel your direct debit too.

Under the direct debit scheme the proper way to cancel a direct debit is to inform your own bank. Inform your bank in writing that you wish to cancel the direct debit.

ok well I canceled my BT BB last week, it should be getting disconnected this week. They also said they didn't require any written notice. I took the name of the person who said this and the time of the call. I also asked if I could cancel my Direct Debit at the bank and they gave me the go ahead so there shouldn't be any spurious extra bills coming through. There was also no disconnection charge even though i'd only signed up to the business BB 2 months ago.

I rang UPC last week and they called today, sorted out a white noise issue I was having with the digital tv and also set me up with BB. Couldn't be happier. I'll speedtest the line when I get home.

But still 12Mb/s for €40 a month when I was paying for a 8Mb/s business BB with BT (which they never gave me a static IP for), line rental, and a mandatory phone package which I never used which all came to over €100 a month. It really was a no brainer decision to switch.

EDIT: Just read, the package i'm on has been upgraded for free to 20Mb/s with no cap... sweet! :D

That's probably because you were an upgrade so good for you

20 mb/s is fast I will say...

at what speed at you currently synching with bt?

just wondering...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Bohrio wrote: »
    at what speed at you currently synching with bt?

just wondering...........

before I left BT the best I ever got on my 8Mb/s line was 6.5Mb/s (i.e. 812KB/s)

before I left BT the best I ever got on my 8Mb/s line was 6.5Mb/s (i.e. 812KB/s)

Well although BT can offer up to 24 I dont see that happening anytime soon (unfortunately) and even if the offer it not many people will be able to enjoy that service.

20 mbps is gonna feel like flying compared to the "auld" 8 mb service.... ;)

At the risk of becoming dub45's echo, put everything in writing. It finally looks like my BT woes are coming to an end. Just checked my old account, and my final bill has been blanked, nothing owing. This only took phone calls, contacting the Data Protection Commissioner, contacting their lapdogs debt collector in the UK, contacting the UK Information Commissioner and lodging a formal complaint against the debt collector for not honoring my request for information. I'm just finalising everything now so I can submit my formal complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner here too. None of this should have happened.

Take it from me, keep a record of EVERYTHING (sorry for shouting), you'll need it. I still have to get the money they owe me though.

At the risk of becoming dub45's echo, put everything in writing. It finally looks like my BT woes are coming to an end. Just checked my old account, and my final bill has been blanked, nothing owing. This only took phone calls, contacting the Data Protection Commissioner, contacting their lapdogs debt collector in the UK, contacting the UK Information Commissioner and lodging a formal complaint against the debt collector for not honoring my request for information. I'm just finalising everything now so I can submit my formal complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner here too. None of this should have happened.

Take it from me, keep a record of EVERYTHING (sorry for shouting), you'll need it. I still have to get the money they owe me though.

How about sending the final file to Joe Duffy?

I might do that, will see what the final outcome is first. Don't need Mr Duffy to fight my corner yet. I want to get a written confirmation from BT that they are no longer hunting me for a fictitious bill, that is actually only 50euro. I'm sure it's cost them more than that so far.

I might do that, will see what the final outcome is first. Don't need Mr Duffy to fight my corner yet. I want to get a written confirmation from BT that they are no longer hunting me for a fictitious bill, that is actually only 50euro. I'm sure it's cost them more than that so far.

Sorry I meant when it is all finished - just an illustration of what people have to go through with that shower!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

My God! It is appalling to think that after all these years this type of crap is still going on! Here we have a mulitnational who year after year cannot get their act together on the most fundamental aspect of dealing with a customer.

I also fell foul to this sharp practice (losing service termination requests).

I hope I never have to deal with them again - ever!
    There seems to be a general lack of customer service in that company +
    really poor operating practices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 povszil

the best way if u dont want pay to ur ISP .Cancel the service and stop the payment at ur bank. I had a long procedure to cancel my Clearwire account and they charge me for 6 month for nothing. If u dont want go through this I can recomend to contact ur Bank :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

povszil wrote: »
    the best way if u dont want pay to ur ISP .Cancel the service and stop the payment at ur bank. I had a long procedure to cancel my Clearwire account and they charge me for 6 month for nothing. If u dont want go through this I can recomend to contact ur Bank :)

You might want to get in touch with your English teacher as he/she didn't do a very good job. Your grammar and spelling is atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Hi,

I'm currently on BTs LLU and have been since Nov 2007.

afaik it was only a 6 month contract.

It's looking likely that I will be moving from my current residence in the next 6-10 weeks and I'm either going to have to cancel BT or else get my flatmates details put on the account.

Can't say I've had a problem with the service, it's just the move is forcing me to cancel. Hopefully end up with ntl 20meg.

I've just mailed BT about both of the above queries [calling them isn't an option atm].

Bottom line is to send a letter to BT and my bank informing of a) my cancelation of BT services b) of my dd to BT ?

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently on BTs LLU and have been since Nov 2007.

afaik it was only a 6 month contract.

It's looking likely that I will be moving from my current residence in the next 6-10 weeks and I'm either going to have to cancel BT or else get my flatmates details put on the account.

Can't say I've had a problem with the service, it's just the move is forcing me to cancel. Hopefully end up with ntl 20meg.

I've just mailed BT about both of the above queries [calling them isn't an option atm].

Bottom line is to send a letter to BT and my bank informing of a) my cancelation of BT services b) of my dd to BT ?

For your future mental health - hand in the letter to your bank - keep a copy.

Register the letter that you send to BT - I know it costs extra but whats a fiver when you read about what they put people through.

Also I would not recommend attempting to change the names on the account - the mind doth boggle with what BT might do with that scenario!!!

For your future mental health - hand in the letter to your bank - keep a copy.

Register the letter that you send to BT - I know it costs extra but whats a fiver when you read about what they put people through.

Also I would not recommend attempting to change the names on the account - the mind doth boggle with what BT might do with that scenario!!!
    Ya, I was going to register the letter to BT anyway.

Lucky enough my bank is close by so thats not bad.

ty

update:

Happy story actually. Quite painless interaction with BT after the horror stories I'd read here.

Moved gaff start of Sept but left BT behind and just transferred the account to my old housemate. Fine and dandy. Filled the forms and all and registered it when I posted it to BT.

No downtime while account was transferred.

DD was canceled on my end with a letter to my bank to cancel it after the last DD went out to BT.

I'm also just after receiving a cheque in the mail with my €125 deposit I paid back in Nov last year to them. \o/

It did take a phone call or three to check up on the status of my deposit but I got it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

i am switchin to eircom from bt

rang eircom first...they rang bt next day..bt rang me..

eircom will kick in , in 14 days.....

no fees..i must had my contract finished...

note: 6 month with eircom now i think..back to 3meg package from 7.6 trying to get my lovely 18ms pings back...

bt wanted to charge me 30 euro to down grade...so f them...lost a customer was paying 210 average every 2 months..

m.

Advertisement