Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow PC Reformat / rebuild?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My PC's getting a bit slow & there are some issues with some older software I don't need anymore so I want to format & start again.

How long would it take to format & install XP onto the PC shown below
    Also how much would it cost to reformat & rebuild?
    • Intel Corporation Evolve P830
    • Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    • 3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    • 200.00 Gb (2 HDDs on Raid 1)
    • TOSHIBA CD/DVDW SD-R5372 [CD-ROM drive]
    • 3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]
    • 2048 Megabytes Installed Memory
    • NVIDIA Quadro FX 540 [Display adapter]
    • 1394 Net Adapter
    • Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM Network Connection
    • Microsoft - Office Professional Edition 2003

THanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

The actual formating and reinstalling doesnt take long at all, 30 mins to an hour, the thing that takes time before you do it is backing up your stuff, then double and triple checking that you didnt forget to backup something. I suggest an external usb drive if you have one.
    Also handy to download the drivers for network card before you wipe it, in case its not picked up properly. At least with a network card working, you can download everything else, or google what drivers you need!
    Once you are sure you have backed it all up, remove the external usb drive. I've been caught out by windows wiping my usb drive as well as my internal drives, took me ages to get all that info back!
    Bang in your recovery cd/windows cd as applicable, and boot from it. Generally you pick the partition, then it will install mostly unattended, but check back every once in a while to check progress.
    Then when its all done, fire it up and reinstall as needed. Id recommend xp sp3 and antivirus first though!

All in all, it doesnt take long, speeds up pc no end, and is free except for your time! always the best thing to do, before deciding if you need an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Thanks Phill,

Just had a reformat done by a company who's trying to charge 1600 Euro :eek: for a format & install of XP, office & CAD (which I had to reinstall myself!

They recon it took 2 1/2 days to to the format & install the OS.. I can't see a company that services a computer taking that long?!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

KoNiT wrote: »
    Thanks Phill,

Just had a reformat done by a company who's trying to charge 1600 Euro :eek: for a format & install of XP, office & CAD (which I had to reinstall myself!

They recon it took 2 1/2 days to to the format & install the OS.. I can't see a company that services a computer taking that long?!
    €1600 for a reformat is rediculous unless said company are charging you for new licenses for software which still sounds quite high, also they must be very slow if it took them 2 1/2 days to format taking driver locating and windows reinstallation into account it should only take a few hours max.

Nick

Advertisement