Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland-Italy

• 09-06-2008 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

And the group of death is today on.I would kinda like Holland to win,i think they could be good on this tournament and kinda ready to do something big.I am getting tired of Italy and that defensive football and would preffer Holland and France out of this group to get through.I still expect a draw out of this game

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Agree totally

I think this game as draw written all over it. Italy will miss Cannavaro and will be relatively cautious (which is a pity with their firepower). For the neutral it would be great for Holland to score first and force Italy to go for it.

Would not surprise me at all if the first round of games here are both draws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I expect Italy and romania to come out of this group
    Dont rate France or Hollands current managers and their teams are both carried by a few strong players.
    2-0 Nill Italy win tonight with a 1-1 draw in the other game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I hope holland come through, and I think they'll do a number on Italy tonight.

3-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

got my money on 0-0 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Fancy Italy to win this one myself, holland have a fair few injuries and can see Pirlo (one of my fav players ever) dominating the midfield with Gattuso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I think Holland are gonna struggle to score with no width in the team. I'm not really familiar with that Afellay guy - he's there only fit winger, right?

Italy to win 1-0 comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Robben isnt playing,right?

Yeh, no wingers basically + V. Persie is touch and go.

I remember their game on WC 2006 when they won 1-0 against us Robben was so dangerous on left wing,he practicly destroyed us and except him Holland team wasnt so good,i just think without him they arent so good and its huge difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

1-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

2-1 Italy. Luca Toni to grab both goals.

I think Holland are going to have a poor tournament. Hope i'm wrong cause i love seeing attacking football from them but i think they have a sh!t defence and their defensive MF is poor.

Holland defence had the best goals conceded record in qualifying along with the French and Czechs.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

SofaK wrote: »
    Holland defence had the best goals conceded record in qualifying along with the French and Czechs.

you'd hope the italians would take this into account, and actually try to go for the win (which is not their style I know), but still - we can dream...

would be a great match to watch if both sides needed to win, it's just unfortunate that a draw would prob better suit both sides in the opening game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'm a massive Italy fan but I'm more than a little worried about this match. No Nesta or Cannavaro means that Barzagli and Matterazzi will be our centre back partnership which more than fills me with fear, especially against Holland's attack. There's no doubt in my mind that that defence will concede goals, even if Gigi is on inspired form. Luckily, up front, we're spoiled for options. Toni is the clear mainstay up front but should he have a bad game Del Piero is great back up when on this form. Di Natale has never had a bad game for Italy and Camoranesi is a solid solid player to support Toni. Think we have the best central midfield in Gattuso, Pirlo and De Rossi. Considering how crap Holland's defence is, would be surprised if we scored less than two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Cant see past Italy for this one with Babel out, Robben out and VP seriously struggling. They'll be very narrow which i think will play into Italy's hands. Im thinking 2-0 to Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Cant see past Italy for this one with Babel out, Robben out and VP seriously struggling. They'll be very narrow which i think will play into Italy's hands. Im thinking 2-0 to Italy.

I hope you're wrong mate - just plain don't like Italy. I mean, I respect them - but for all the talent they have, they could play an expansive attacking game, but they're traditionally gone with a more defensive, and lets face it - boring style of play. Also that Materazzi lad is a thug - would love to see him on the receiving end for a change. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Holland the better attackers, but overall, even without Cannavarro, Italy have a much better spine to their team, which i think means they will find it easier to retain possession. overall I expect Italy to nudge it in a hard fought win. a 1-0 perhaps with the goal coming from a set piece?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

but for all the talent they have, they could play an expansive attacking game, but they're traditionally gone with a more defensive, and lets face it - boring style of play

The whole Italy are boring thing grinds my gears
    they have traditionaly had great defenders whats wrong with using them?
    There is nothing wrong or boring with playing tactically just because they dont go gung ho like a south American side.
    Defending is just important a skill as attacking
    And they attack more than people give them credit for
    Also that Materazzi lad is a thug - would love to see him on the receiving end for a change

who doesnt hate him?
    Zizu isnt the only player to hit him a loaf
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRhGPgaW8EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

who doesnt hate him?

me, he's just misunderstood. :D

oh and FAIL!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are Sneijder and Drenthe unavailable for Oranje? Back in the day it wouldn't be an issue, one of the Borg would just morph into a left winger and fill the gap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I reckon it's Italy's for the taking. Cannavaro will be a loss, and Holland (at least on paper) are one of the best attacking teams in the tournament, but I can see Italy dominating midfield and they have some great forward talent. Luca Toni must be favourite for top scorer?

Hope Cassano gets a run, crazy bastard!

Sneijder and V.Persie had a fight on the last training.Everyone saying they are big rivals for position in team and after tough tackle on training they had a fight.They both said it was just a missuderstanding and coz they dont want to risk injury and have big wish to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

^^^^^
    all is right in the world again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

No humorous accidental title? :(

Clash of the titans.

Dunphy.

Van der Sar is a doubt in goal.

Yeah, he's just won the double ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DesF wrote: »
    Dunphy.

Van der Sar is a doubt in goal.

Yeah, he's just won the double ffs.

So did JOSH :)(I know he didnt play in the final.

Lets not forget the Djimi Traore, Harry Kewell,Milan Baros Cl winners trinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Should be a good one, starting lineup named yet ?

Should be a good one, starting lineup named yet ?

Netherlands: Van der Sar; Ooijer, Boulahrouz, Mathijsen, Van Bronckhorst; De Jong, Engelaar; Kuyt, Van der Vaart, Sneijder; Van Nistelrooy.

Italy:
    Buffon; Panucci, Barzagli, Materazzi, Zambrotta; Ambrosini, Pirlo, Gattuso; Camoranesi, Toni, Di Natale.

Boulahrouz, Holland to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Ambrosini ahead of any of the Roma midfielders is a bit of a strange choice imo

Italian anthem is quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Guess the team ;)

Non_Rebreath_Oxygen_Mask.jpgroadsigns17_450x340.jpg

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

France ?

Italy, I'd say.

Deffo not Grance.

Craggy Island over 75's

• Advertisement

Nice bright start from the Italians.

RVN 1 on 1 with the keeper :eek:

Sherifu wrote: »
    RVN 1 on 1 with the keeper :eek:

Fair play to him for not going down too.

DesF wrote: »
    Fair play to him for not going down too.
    Aye, I was thinking the same thing.

Hollond 1-0 RVN

Just how offside was he :eek:

Deserved it anyway.

• Advertisement

He deserves that goal.

1-0 Holland, Van Nistelrooy.

Fooking country mile offside

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

A mile off!!!

HEHEHE could he be more offside?

Joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

That was more offside than Jackie HealyRays combover!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Offside by a country mile!

This will be the last time we see that linesman in this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

That was a good decision :D He looked to the linesman knew he was offside and then celebrated. Genius! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

shockin!! lol

so are we sure he was offside "when the ball was played"? :rolleyes:

expect a token soft peno awarded to the italians. the ref knows quite well it was offside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Interesting how RVN stays honest and doesn't dive for what would have been an easy peno. Then minutes later gets a soft goal like that.

Karma at work.

He looked to the linesman knew he was offside and then celebrated. Genius! :rolleyes:

What do you want him to do? ask for it to be disallowed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement