Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland-Italy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

DesF wrote: »
    Football has no "rules" lads, they are called "Laws", and like judges, the ref's job is to interpret the laws as he sees fit.

ToMAYto, ToMAto. Call them what you want. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Trilla wrote: »
    Any good links to the rules/laws?

Here is the FIFA Official one, in pdf form, beware.

This is the exact same thing.

It's LAW 11
    Offside Position
    Offside It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position. A player is in an offside position if:

* he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent

A player is not in an offside position if:

* he is in his own half of the field of play or
    * he is level with the second last opponent or
    * he is level with the last two opponents

Offence
    A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

* interfering with play or
    * interfering with an opponent or
    * gaining an advantage by being in that position

No Offence
    There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

* a goal kick or
    * a throw-in or
    * a corner kick

Infringements/Sanctions
    For any offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free kick to the opposing team to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

This dutch team are sexy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Del Piero has made a difference but cant see them getting this one back. I really love seing the dutch do well. Im hoping for Holland vs Spain and Germany vs Portugal in the Semis

Sherifu wrote: »
    This dutch team are sexy.

Apart from Kuyt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

as opposed to 2002 team, not really imo:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Apart from Kuyt

Don't let MR.Alan hear you saying that!

Lol Toni.

big crab

Actually, my quoted text above proves nothing.

I can't find the relevent wording within the 17 Laws.

• Advertisement

Van Der Sar having a big say in this match.

VDS to the rescue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What a save!

Sexual... 3-0

VDS the hero.

And again.

Three nil

Another Assist for Kuyt.

Game over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Thats it. Game over.

what a save and goal on the counter....

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

WOW!! Twice in a game. Quality.

• Advertisement

Quality save from the free kick by Van Der Sar.

Then another lightening Van Bornckhurst break, Kuyt had a shot saved, but then crossed.

Bleedin quality football.

2 goals on breaks the length of the pitch,good attacking play by Holland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

delighted for Kuyt. Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

This must be Italys biggest loss for a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Law 11.11
    "A defender who leaves the field during the course of play and does not immediately return must still be considered in determining where the second to last defender is for the purpose of judging which attackers are in an offside position. Such a defender is considered to be on the touch line or goal line closest to his or her off-field position. A defender who leaves the field with the referee's permission (and who thus requires the referee's permission to return) is not included in determining offside position."

There it is lads, in black and white.

It was a good goal.

But the other two were absolutely breathtaking counter-attacking football.

Holland well deserve the win.

• Advertisement

Fúcking Houghton.

Still going on about the goal.

Get over it ffs, it was a good goal, it stands.

The football on display by Holland has been brilliant.

Another good chance for RVP. Not listening to Houghton during the game. He can keep his sour grapes.

Italys biggest defeat for 25 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Immense team performace from Holland. Sneijder and Van der Vaart were something else entirely.

I think im converted.

Can we play this Italian team now instead of in march/april?

• Advertisement

motm schneider.italy looked soooo aged.wp holland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great stuff, hard to pick a single man of the match. Kuyt, GvanB, Sneijder and yes Boulahrouz, all exellent.

Mike.

Wayhay! We're going to the World Cupan!

If anyone has it and wants to see more quality football, Messi and Co. (argentina) are playing the USA right now on setanta 2. tis the 9th minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

That match is a day old and not quality
    0-0

Bubs101 wrote: »
    That match is a day old and not quality
    0-0

my bad... how can aguero and Messi on the field at the same time not = a cracker. The worlds gone mad i say

nice 1 bounty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

FatherTed wrote: »
    Law 11.11
    "A defender who leaves the field during the course of play and does not immediately return must still be considered in determining where the second to last defender is for the purpose of judging which attackers are in an offside position. Such a defender is considered to be on the touch line or goal line closest to his or her off-field position. A defender who leaves the field with the referee's permission (and who thus requires the referee's permission to return) is not included in determining offside position."

Well, that clears that up. Although a little harsh on Italy as Bufon took him out with his challenge, not like he was able to come back straight away!

The Dutch look good, best performance of the tournament so far. After watching the earlier game I can see them getting top of this group. Van Basten to repeat 88!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Well played Holland, easily the most entertaining game of the tournament so far with definitely the goal of the tournament so far! As a Liverpool fan I'm delighted for Kuyt getting a couple of assists. I thought he had blown it when he missed his chance to make it 3-0 but he recovered well to put an excellent cross in.
    The Italians looked totally off the pace. They showed a bit more life than France did so I still think they can get out of the group but it will be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

I hope holland come through, and I think they'll do a number on Italy tonight.

3-1

Close enough. Good shout big lad, Holland did a number on them alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Ambrosini wouldn't even get a game in the Premier League, why De Rossi wasn't playing completely baffled me. Materazzi = garbage and Toni had a howler.

Dunphy.

Van der Sar is a doubt in goal.

Yeah, he's just won the double ffs.
    He made a huge contribution this evening, not to be underestimated, imo.
    Dun laoire wrote: »
    Close enough. Good shout big lad, Holland did a number on them alright

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Great game at the end,italians could pass worse than this but also better than this,they looked afraid to attack and they showed few times they can do it very well,now its gonna be important they recover psychicly for next game,Holland is one of main candidates to win tournament if they continue playing like this

they looked afraid to attack and they showed few times they can do it very well

They have no finisher though, on that showing.

If Holland can keep the squad tight and together, with no more infighting, they'll do very well.

I'm going to miss Spain tomorrow.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Holland the better attackers, but overall, even without Cannavarro, Italy have a much better spine to their team, which i think means they will find it easier to retain possession. overall I expect Italy to nudge it in a hard fought win. a 1-0 perhaps with the goal coming from a set piece?

well, i'm glad to see i was on target with my prediction :o

on the offside rule; as far as i know it's entirely up to the referee's discretion as to whether the player out of bounds is deemed in play or not. i dont think anyone could argue with it if it went either way. so it's a moot debate.

anyway, I still think that win was very flattering of the dutch. their midfield is awful, De jong and englesomethingorother.... they couldn't advance the ball forward even though the Italians gave them loads of space on the ball, it was either through full backs or lumped long. not to mention the ageing Italians actually managed to expose their defence a few times, even though they have absolutely no pace in their ranks. I think the result would have been very different if it were someone like pippo inzaghi leading the line instead of Toni. Toni was hopeless, he only made one decent run all night and fluffed it as bad as you could imagine. really disappointed with his showing. After this i expect Holland to get through the group ahead of Italy, but i'm still not convinced they can win the thing. i think a team like Germany would destroy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Top performance from the Dutch. Really didn't see that coming. Fortunate with the first goal in my opinion. Common sense should have prevailed there but no argument with the other goals. Really superb counter-attacks. Not convinced the Dutch can go all the way. I'd put them in the same bracket as the Portuguese, but they will have made everyone else in the tournament take notice.

I was impressed with Engelaar. First time I came across him and I thought he did well.

Italy were really off the pace. I guess this team has gone as far as it can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Dutch seem to have a nice balance of work horses with a few creative players. Great to see Van Der Vaart finally coming back to the form he showed as an up and coming player.

I wouldnt be totally convinced about the Dutch at the back but if they can keep the team spirit together(and thats a big if) then they seem to have the legs with a splattering of creativity that could take them a long way.

Italy of course looked old and a bit cumbersome and judging on tonights match you wouldnt give them a shout at all.

having said all that its still only the first round of matches and really is too early to be judging.

They have no finisher though, on that showing.

If Holland can keep the squad tight and together, with no more infighting, they'll do very well.

I'm going to miss Spain tomorrow.:mad:

Yeah,italians missed some good chances tonight coz they just couldnt put bloody ball in the net and they looked like they kicking it for the first time in the life or the ball is alive and jumping on them,they looked funny and missed few good chances in a really stupid way

the Dutch defense doesent really sound that great but dont they have a great record recently defensivley wise? and when you consider the attacking options they have (if all fit) Van Nistelrooy, Van Der Vaart, Sneijder, Robben, Babel, Huntelaar & Van Persie is it really that hard to believe that that they could go the whole way

• Advertisement

Well defense is their weakest part if we look names and maybe even performance,judging by tonights game and some latest,but score doesnt say so,only 5 goals in their net in qualifications

Advertisement