Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper 2

Options
  • 09-06-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

I did Hl and thought it was a brilliant paper, I'm very pleased with it !! :):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Yeh was preety good, forgot my proofs though

Q1 did pretty bad in this bout 26 marks
    Q2 50 i hope
    Q3 around 33 forgot the proof
    Q4 around 33 couldnt do part c
    Q5 50 again hopefully
    Q8 Bout 20 forgot the 60degree in part b and could do part c i and ii

In both papers i hope to get 70%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Couldn't have wished for a nicer paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭louis626

I do OL i thought i was a nice paper...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

I do OL and it's my worst subject and my worst paper, but I definitley passed, woo! No more maths ever again, hopefully I'll forget how to work out a waiters tip by the end of the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Couldnt do part B) of 8 , could someone post how it was done.
    Also answer for Q 6 C)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Thought it was a lot nicer than paper 1.

Q3 was lovely. Didn't learn the proof. Major relief when I got it to work out.
    Q4 and Q5 - Same old, same old.
    Q6 was same old, same old again. Still managed to make a balls of part (c) though.
    Q7 was great. Part (c) was a bit messy. Hate squaring trinomials.
    Q8 was disappointing. No integration! :( It also had squaring trinomials! :mad: Easy Q though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Q1 for grand apart from cii, didn't have a clue about it.
    Q2 was grand, say I might've gotten the full 50.
    Q4+5 were grand, say I got the full 50 each there.
    Q6 was alright, ****ed up part c though.
    Q8 was easy peasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

For 8 b you had to use the fact that each angle is 60 degrees. (i forgot)
    y over sin60 = (6-x) over 2sin30 i think is how you do part (i)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

I was finished 45 mins early!!! I just checked my answers for 45mins... The three proofs were lovely! The only hard question was 8c...

I wrote down my answers too:

1 a) x2+y2+6x-4y-4=0

B)(i) Very noice :)
    (ii) k=6.5

c) (i) x2+y2-10x-2y+1=0
    (ii) Also very noice

2 a) + or - 5

b) (i) t= -1
    (ii) 135 degrees

c) (iii) k= 1/3 l=2/3

3 a) I dunno, didn't write it down, am sure I got it though...

b) (iii) a' 3,0
    b' 17, -4
    c' 24, -6
    d' 8,5

C) Massively tipped to come up... I learnt it yesterday!!!

4 a) 63/65

b) noice

c) (sr)= 2 cosx

5 a) 24

b) (ii) 0,30,180

c) (i) Easy proof!
    (i) Basic algebra :)

8 a) turned out to be 0, which is less than 1

B (ii) tricky I got 9root3 divided by 2 though

c) (i) and (ii) were fine... (iii) was tricky...

... And I was preparing myself for a tough, tough paper :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Would anyone be willing to scan up the HL paper plz :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

sd123 wrote: »
    would Anyone Be Willing To Scan Up The Hl Paper Plz :)

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 V.I.Princess

Ok you goys I'm sur ur all lyk really excited abou d L.C...Both maths it's ova...No need 4 post mortems...U can't change nething so y bother abou how u did or did not do...Predictions I agree wit as we look 2 d future but lyk reviews...NO!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

On the OL paper question one. questions regarding the use of Pie but there was no mention of it did they just leave pie in there answer? Found this a bit distracting as usualy if there is no mention of pie it cancels but not in this question. ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

sd123 wrote: »
    would Anyone Be Willing To Scan Up The Hl Paper Plz :)

+2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PeteZahut

anybody want to post up their answers for ol paper 2??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I'm going into my local school at 3 and hopefully I'll find one just lying around so if no one scans it up, I will later!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I want to see this paper too, for the lulz.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

the exam papers are up on the state exams commission website every evening from 7pm for the exams that were on that day. www.examinations.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 prawn

Did anyone do question 9? if so is part c 184<x<216? woo exempt form irish! overall not a bad paper, but i still managed to mess it up, its a talent I have :(

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

I loved that paper it was great. Looked at it first and paniced a bit but once i calmed down it was so easy. Had 30minutes at the end so I did Q5 for the craic!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

rainbow just got there ahead of me about examinations.ie. however i fell that it is better not to scrutinise your paper after completion, theres nothing that u can do about it now!
    Found ol maths p2 alot easier than p1, however i didnt open a book for the first paper! Hoping for the honour in me pass subject, thank god its finally over!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

I do Ordinary and found it easier than Paper 1!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

thought it was pretty tough. forgot one of the proofs (asquared = bsquared + csquared - 2bc Cos A) but got the other two as i learned them this morning. got q4(c) right at the end, ws very proud :)
    couldnt get the circle (c) (ii) , also got c(i) wrong i'm pretty sure, bt shud get attempt marks.
    vectors q was good i thought. 3 wud hav been great but my transformations didn't go too well, didnt study that section grrrr :mad:
    5 a & b were ok, c pretty bad for me :/
    q8 (b) wtf????? cudnt get that at all
    got 8(c) though
    overall, harder than i'd expected, bt all in all didn't go too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    On the OL paper question one. questions regarding the use of Pie but there was no mention of it did they just leave pie in there answer? Found this a bit distracting as usualy if there is no mention of pie it cancels but not in this question. ???

i took it as you were meant to multiply by Pi.i just used the Pi button on my calculator and it seemed to get all the correct answers.went pretty well for me in all the parts in Q1

have to admit that overall it was a pretty easy paper.the one part i couldnt get was Q3 part C.i couldnt do a single bit of it.how were you meant to get points a and b (the points were the circle crosses the x-axis)?? i just couldnt figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

kev_s88 wrote: »
    i took it as you were meant to multiply by Pi.i just used the Pi button on my calculator and it seemed to get all the correct answers.went pretty well for me in all the parts in Q1

have to admit that overall it was a pretty easy paper.the one part i couldnt get was Q3 part C.i couldnt do a single bit of it.how were you meant to get points a and b (the points were the circle crosses the x-axis)?? i just couldnt figure it out.

I got that part. When it hits the x axis y=0

The point worked out at (9,0) i then translated the mid point onto the x axis and took this distance from that point to (9,0) this equals 6. Then translate (9,0) through the center point that i translated onto the x axis and across onto (-3,0)

They were the two points, And the diameter = 12
    Then the diameter of the circle was 12.46 so that proves it was larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    I got that part. When it hits the x axis y=0

The point worked out at (9,0) i then translated the mid point onto the x axis and took this distance from that point to (9,0) this equals 6. Then translate (9,0) through the center point that i translated onto the x axis and across onto (-3,0)

They were the two points, And the diameter = 12
    Then the diameter of the circle was 12.46 so that proves it was larger.

i kinda thought it might be that...but all i could think about was that if you let y=0 then couldnt that really be both points cause its the same.i mean if you let y=0 in the equation then both points could potentially be the same.....my problem was that i was thinking too logically about it.i just couldnt get over the fact that it could be that simple.....my mistake really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 less is more

I was fairly happy with the paper as a whole -- it was lucky I learned the theorems! They didn't half go over the top eh? P. Dist, Equation of a tangent, cosine rule...

1. (c)(ii) Weird, but thank God JC maths was still locked in my brain somewhere!
    2. (c)(iii) I never learned that type of question :(
    3. (b)(i) threw me a bit, did we really only have to plot some points??
    4. (c) It took me AAAAAGES to spot the isosceles! If I had more time maybe I could have got (ii) out...
    8. (b)(i) er........ I found the area of the rectangle = area of triangle - area of small triangles, then shuffled it round in terms of y... was that right? (ii) was standard enough though.

Apart from that, I think I got the other questions out, unless I made some mathematical slips :confused:

How did everyone else do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭CaramelBear

Owow. HL Paper 2 was like so much better than Paper 1. The proofs saved me on like every question. I went in thinking I won't do the circle question and ended up doing it because of the proof! I hope all goes well now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

How do you solve for k and l in 2(c)(iii)? I got p twice but equating on its own didn't work.

Advertisement