Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Heretic

I really liked it, way better than paper 1. For 1. part c (ii) I said that the exterior angle was 90 degrees and was two times and angle P. But i didn't prove that it was 90 degrees. Would I get any marks at all?

Coulnd't get C parts (ii) and (iii) in Q 2. Forgot how to do parametric equations. Rest of the questions were grand, besides Q 8 part (b)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sugarplum_fairy

8. (b)(i) er........ I found the area of the rectangle = area of triangle - area of small triangles, then shuffled it round in terms of y... was that right?
    yeah thats what i did too! i got it out as 6.root3. Alot of people seem to have done it by getting the sin60 in the little triangle. but i dont see why this way wouldnt be acceptable too... fingers crossed.

also, Q1 c, did anyone else get the distance from a to b and then join with the radia and use the cosine rule to get the angle at the centre which would be double the angle you were looking for? it worked out, just want to be sure i did it the right way...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thought it was alright
    Q1, 3 and 6 close to full marks Q3 was a joke, way too easy.
    Q2 was alright, messed up a few things
    Q7 was grand until part C, didnt have a clue :( So did Q6 as a spare but couldnt remember the proff for cos rule

Q8 Couldn't do b(i) I made up an expression for y and differenciated it. WIll I get marks for that, as I'm showing I know what to do?
    Thought part c was grand, bit messy workin out cos^2x from scratch but all worked out grand

Overall, B2 or B1 methinks :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

I was pretty hapy with most of it but I was soo pissed off with the max/min question.. Didn't pay attention to the equilateral and ended up with attempt marks..

Q1 got it all apart from c)ii .. I recognised some shape of a JC theorem but couldn't remember it...

Q2 was a lovely question. Hopefully 50 marks.. I was one of the only people I talked to who got out c)iii but my teacher had us well covered for vectors if nothing else :eek:

Q3 hopefully 50 marks... Another proof?!

Q4 Kinda ran out of time and didn't even attempt c)ii

Q5 should have got it all but I didn't recognise the quadratic over the quadratic in c)ii :o

Q8 was a basic disaster for me.. Oh well I'll settle with a B...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MnMs

omg i was sooo happy with that paper...did 1-5 and 8...question 8 was a bit tricky but i got it our in the end...lots of time to recheck stuff:D:D:D

thanks god i knew the theorems...i can't believe 3 came up!!!:eek:

how did anyone do the circle question...the proof that the angle was 45 degrees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Rory710

Could anybody post their answers for part C of the probilability question on the ordinary paper...i want to check to see if i'm right..

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peteballagh

Yeah, it was pretty nice. Absolutely full of proofs, and I made a point of learning them, so that was handy marks. the second part of Question 4 (c) was hard so was Q1 c I thought. And Q2 C. The line question was a doddle if you knew the proof. Question 4 and 5 were easy as well. I completely messed up on q8 - I couldn't make head or tale of the B part! Overall a B1 i'd say on that paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

prawn wrote: »
    Did anyone do question 9? if so is part c 184<x<216?

Yup, thats what I got too :)

Great paper for those who put in the work on the theorems, and Q3 was brilliant!
    A - Change parametric to carthesian, no problems there
    B (i) - Plotting points?! lol
    (ii) - Distance formula
    (iii) - Subbing in x and y values
    (iv) - Distance formula again
    C - Proof
    A handy 50 marks!

Found bits of the probability tricky enough, especially 6 (c). The probability opitional was great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Heretic

MnMs wrote: »
    omg i was sooo happy with that paper...did 1-5 and 8...question 8 was a bit tricky but i got it our in the end...lots of time to recheck stuff:D:D:D

thanks god i knew the theorems...i can't believe 3 came up!!!:eek:

how did anyone do the circle question...the proof that the angle was 45 degrees?

I got 45, did you need to prove that the angle outside was 90 because I just said it was. Thought of the junior cert theorem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Ordinary paper was savage:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lolo loved it loved it loved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Petie_Pie

Em.. probabilty question...for ORDINARY LEVEL
    Now i am probably wrong...

ii) 720
    iii) 600
    iv)1/22

Cld be wrong... what did you get??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I do Higher Level and even though we're supposed to only six questions, I did NINE. I was writing until the end as you can imagine.

And it's not that I'm **** or didn't have a clue or anything. I calculated that I got close to 80% on the paper.

But it seemed like I did worse at the time, but when I got home and looked at the ones that I got right then I was like "wow cool".

Ps - The probablity question was terrible. Worst probability question ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I ran out of time :(

Vectors, circle and line were nice questions

Id estimate I got:
    Q1) 25
    Q2) 40
    Q3) 35
    Q6) 35
    Q7) 30
    Q8) 10
    ________
    175/300 :( not great oh well its finished now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Da Bomber

Anyone mind posting up there probability answers for HL?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I was delighted with maths HL Paper 2. It went far better than paper 1. I think I got pretty much everything! It was funny too, At least two of the questions on that paper were exactly the same as questions I had studied in Revise Wise Maths. The Tan22/1/2 one and the max area of the box in question 8 are both in revise wise, almost word for word. Good thing that I spent the day yesterday going through that book!
    I was delighted that three theorems came up, really easy marks and I knew all of them.
    There were a couple of tricky parts like 4(c)ii but I got that out after a while.
    A1 In this paper hopefully! Should make up for my terrible paper 1 :o

I did Q1-5 and Q8 btw. None of that messy probablilty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

it was a brilliant paper, was so happy the perpendicular distance formula came up! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Rory710

I got(i) 330
    (ii)30
    (iii)25
    (iv)22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sugarplum_fairy

well this is what i got for prob part b of Q7: (no guarantees its right now!)
    i. 14/52.3/51.2/59.1/49 = 1/270725
    ii. 16/52.15/51.16/50.15/49.4!/2!2! = 468/20828
    iii. 1/52.15/51.14/50.3/49.4!/2! = 198/270725

Q 6 c x=7

unfortunately one of my poor friends thought there were only 2 suits in a deck of cards and screwed up half her probability cause of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Petie_Pie wrote: »
    Em.. probabilty question...for ORDINARY LEVEL
    Now i am probably wrong...

ii) 720
    iii) 600
    iv)1/22

Cld be wrong... what did you get??

is that part C of the probability??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 saywhaat

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    I got that part. When it hits the x axis y=0

The point worked out at (9,0) i then translated the mid point onto the x axis and took this distance from that point to (9,0) this equals 6. Then translate (9,0) through the center point that i translated onto the x axis and across onto (-3,0)

They were the two points, And the diameter = 12
    Then the diameter of the circle was 12.46 so that proves it was larger.

yes thats what i like to see!i got that too!!!:D:D:D

pass paper.....BRILLIANT!def easier than paper 1, hoping it will bring my grade up to high B or an A possibly...no i shan't jinx it....:p:p :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Petie_Pie

Yeah part c.... but i am probably wrong...lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MnMs

Heretic wrote: »
    I got 45, did you need to prove that the angle outside was 90 because I just said it was. Thought of the junior cert theorem.

i thought i was was being really smart remembering that theorem!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Katerrrs

Can anyone post the equation they got for 6ci? I ended up getting x=7 after solving this crazy cubic thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

saywhaat wrote: »
    yes thats what i like to see!i got that too!!!:D:D:D

pass paper.....BRILLIANT!def easier than paper 1, hoping it will bring my grade up to high B or an A possibly...no i shan't jinx it....:p:p :o

Fantastic!!

It was a case of just logical problem solving rather than anything you were thought so i enjoyed solving it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Petie_Pie wrote: »
    Yeah part c.... but i am probably wrong...lol

tbh if i could remember the actual question i could give you the answer.probability is my best section in maths.so if you can find me the actual question then i'll help out

just gimme a PM if ya want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mynners

I think I can safily say that this years ordinary level was the best to come up in the last 5 years. I really think I did well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

sd123 wrote: »
    I'm going into my local school at 3 and hopefully I'll find one just lying around so if no one scans it up, I will later!

Soz lads, just got home a while ago. They're up now anyway! Was generally a very nice paper, esp if you knew your proofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

kev_s88 wrote: »
    tbh if i could remember the actual question i could give you the answer.probability is my best section in maths.so if you can find me the actual question then i'll help out

just gimme a PM if ya want

Do you not get to keep your paper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Katerrrs wrote: »
    Can anyone post the equation they got for 6ci? I ended up getting x=7 after solving this crazy cubic thing...

Yes I got 7 as well after going on a mad cancelling rampage ha!

Advertisement