Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience to Use a RIB

• 09-06-2008 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I was thinking about buying a jet-ski for them low wind days but have changed my mind and im thinking about buying a 5m rib instead.

I just wanted to know what are the regulations for using a RIB do you have to have insurance, Qualifications or are there courses etc.

I have used a small RIB before on a few occasions.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well of course you need to buy insurance but more as a safety aspect, as far as i know you arent breaking the law if you dont have it. Similarly it is legal to drive one without a license.
    If you are looking to do a course and get a license have a look at the Irish Sailing Associations site they run a few throughout the year, there are others available from other sources but theirs is the most recognised in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The scary thing is that you need nothing except money to go boating in Ireland.

First of all, take something like an ISA Powerboat Level 2 course (aka. National Powerboat Cert) - Plenty of training centres around the country. It's a 2 day course and you *will* learn stuff

Insurance - Not necessary, but put it this way... If you drive over someone or injure someone in any way you could lose everything you own. For the sake of 3-400euro a year it's great peace of mind. My policy covers liability (up to 3m euro, theft, accidential damage, vandalism)

Also, a bit of 'general cop on' (which seems to be scarce these days) goes a long way - Don't speed in around other boats, excercise a 'NO WAKE' policy when close to piers etc. ie. don't go in at semi-displacment speed with your bow high in the air - you're better off going at full speed than this speed - I wish people would learn this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

As John says, there are plenty of training centres around the country. I find Dave Garvey of DMG Sailsports in Malahide very good.
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

JohnCleary wrote: »

Also, a bit of 'general cop on' (which seems to be scarce these days) goes a long way - Don't speed in around other boats, excercise a 'NO WAKE' policy when close to piers etc. ie. don't go in at semi-displacment speed with your bow high in the air - you're better off going at full speed than this speed - I wish people would learn this

This is the most common mistake made by people. A planing hull is designed to sit on top of the water but you need speed. I have been shouted at by people on the river for going too fast while they are ploughing a 2-3 ft wake going slow in their speed boats:D.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Slig wrote: »
    This is the most common mistake made by people. A planing hull is designed to sit on top of the water but you need speed. I have been shouted at by people on the river for going too fast while they are ploughing a 2-3 ft wake going slow in their speed boats:D.

Speaking of common mistakes, high speed to produce minimal wakes is another one. :mad: Especially in a river where there are speed limits. High speed is as bad as 2/3ft wakes. Why don't you both slow down, you'll save fuel, nerves and the river bank!

• Advertisement

Dyflin wrote: »
    Speaking of common mistakes, high speed to produce minimal wakes is another one. :mad: Especially in a river where there are speed limits. High speed is as bad as 2/3ft wakes. Why don't you both slow down, you'll save fuel, nerves and the river bank!

I'd prefer a RIB to pass me at 20knots and create a few " wake than passing at 5kt in SD mode creating a huge wake

Each to their own I guess

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

OP, http://www.powerboatschool.ie/ very good reputation.

JohnCleary, as I said, high speed is as bad as big wakes, I have driven 6-8m ribs, single & double outboard and jet drive, I'm no novice, if 5 knots is giving out a big wake then throttle back. Speed leaves minimal time to correct for mistakes (your or other peoples) especially in confined waters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

cheers guys for the replys

Another question i wanted to ask is if i was to buy one in the UK and bring it back would i have to pay somesort of VRT or TAX???

cheers guys for the replys

Another question i wanted to ask is if i was to buy one in the UK and bring it back would i have to pay somesort of VRT or TAX???

VRT - No
    Tax - See Below
    VAT - Make sure you get an original sales receipt stating that VAT has been paid. Once VAT has been paid in a country within the EU you're OK

I really wouldn't bother going to the UK to buy a boat. The market here is completely dead and so it's a buyers market. I made two trips to the UK last winter only to be disappointed by time wasters selling their neglected dreams. We ended up buying a boat locally and got a massive chunk off the original asking price. Apolloduck.ie will have the boat you're after.

• Advertisement
Advertisement