Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiles too big/heavy for wall?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi,
    We got wall tiles for the bathroom. the tiler has said that they are too big/heavy to put on a slabbed - studded wall., and thinks that they could pull the wall down with vibrations ect. they are 16x24'' and are 12mm thick, marble tiles.
    Has anybody used these on studded walls before? are they safe?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is that inches lad?

We have 300mm*600mm porcelain tiles on our studded walls with no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 callie16v

they are 400 x 600, they do seem quiet heavy...the shop are saying that they are ok...but they would, wountn't they??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dont know, if they wont go up then you will have to return them, did u ask any other tiler?

unfortunately the shop will not take the tiles back "no refund or exchange on marble tiles". i was talking to another tiler who said there should be no problem..as long as they are put up right!! just hope out tiler dosent put them up the wrong way!:confused:

I would not worry, they will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Jeez, I don't know.

Marble is a fair bit heavier than porcelain. These are 12mm thick. Must weigh 15Kg each or so.

If you are going to go ahead, I'd get a tiler that didn't express doubts about it. You'll have no come back with him if anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

then again, if they do bring the wall down, thats hardly the tilers fault.
    If the tiles themselves fall off then its his problem.

If you have the room already gutted I would take off the plasterboard, reinforce the studs and then use 12mm wbp or OSB instead of the plasterboard. It will be much stronger (and a better job actually)

Thanks for all the advice. the wbp is a good idea but the tiler has already started. i'll let you if the walls come tumbling down!

Advertisement