Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counselling and psychotherapy, suggested course / experiance?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Im looking to get into this area, can anyone tell me what its like working as a counsellor/ psychotherapist? What strengths are needed, whats good, whats bad etc.

The only BA I can find in Dublin is a part time course in DBS. Does anyone have any information about what the course is like or about other IACP recegnised courses?

Also, is there anything I could do in the meantime to encrease my chances of getting in? Im a lot younger than most others were at the dbs open evening and im worried this would go against me (I am aware you have to be over 25 to apply).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

DO a counselling skills course such as the NUI Maynooth certificate. Most of the IACP accredited courses look more favourably on you if you have completed some form of prior training in the field. Age and life experience is a big factor, understanding yourself and your own motivation to enter this sector is very important. Also being comfortable with the idea of having to attend therapy yourself as part of the training process.

NUI Maynooth counselling skills cert:
    http://adulteducation.nuim.ie/courses/CounsellingSkills.shtml

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Bluebells

Thats great, thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Hi Bluebells.

I'm going into the 3rd year of the DBS course so I can answer any specific questions you may have on it.

The minimum age is 25 all right, I started doing the course at 27 and found that there was a wide range of age groups there from 25 all the way up. I don't think your age will go against you in terms of "getting in" to the course, but of course while there you would have to show/develop maturity.

DBS operate slightly differently to other similar courses as they don't have an interview process to screen you before you go in, but there is a fairly rigorous feedback process throughout the year to comply with IACP accreditation requirements, and indeed you will need to take an interview at the end of the year in order to progress to the second year (and indeed, depending on the outcome of that, you may need to take another interview at the end of second year).

Other options you might look at are PCI College and Tivoli institute.

Advertisement