Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty 5: World At War

• 09-06-2008 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭

http://maximumfear.net/2008/06/09/call-of-duty-world-at-war/

Call of Duty: World at War will utilise the Call of Duty 4 engine but the developer has also added various enhancments, such as the ability the burn down buildings and foliage. The game takes place primarily in the pacific, with the US forces fighting Imperial Japan. Frank Kearsy, military advisor and Gulf War Veteran, has made sure that the way the Japanse fight is both tenacious and shocking.

You’ll also be fighting as the Russians, who are invading Germany. With the Nazi forces on the back foot they will start fighting even more ferociously in an attempt to defend their strongholds such as in Berlin. There is also a new party system that will allow the leader to issue commands to his troops in single player.

Mutliplayer perks are also back, including some of the favorites from Call of Duty 4, but there will also be new ones that better suit the time period. The game also features new weapons for the series, such as the flamethrower, which according to OXM, can melt the skin off of your enemies and set ablaze grass and wooden buildings. You are also able to shoot throw materials depending on the strength of the material.

Treyarch is promising that this new installment of Call of Duty will be the darkest one yet and are dedicated to making the best game they can. They have had two years of development time, rather than the 11 months they had for Call of Duty 3. And this time they have specific teams working on all the different versions, with the Xbox 360 version acting as the lead.

Is it too early to say this will suck as bad online as cod3?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Same game engine, eh?

Sounds like they're going to try and ride the success of COD4 by doing a half arsed job on a theme that has been done to death at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

It will be good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Pacific is a terrible setting for a FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

kowloon wrote: »
    Pacific is a terrible setting for a FPS.
    i agree, i think the developers should stay out of the world war 2 theme all together!!cold war era would be good!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Pacific is only terrible because of past pacific games, ie medal of hounor.
    Which with all MOH games being ****e this was none the wiser.

• Advertisement

Also try meh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

"has made sure that the way the Japanse fight is both tenacious and shocking"

So we can assume since this is Treyarch, enemies will stand around waiting to be shot and getting stuck in scenery... sounds tenacious alright :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Pacific is only terrible because of past pacific games, ie medal of hounor.
    Which with all MOH games being ****e this was none the wiser.

I was thinking more of the nature of the conflict:
    No rubbled cities like Western and Eastern europe.
    No major armoured battles.
    Jungle and vegetation galore, very hard to make restrictive maps for open jungle without it looking bad.
    Would love to see it work, but until computer games can do mud and malaria I don't see it working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

Give it a break, I honestly don't understand the Treyarch bashing. COD3 was a great game, and the reviews were generally very positive, particularly about the online play....

They're not out to
    try and ride the success of COD4 by doing a half arsed job on a theme that has been done to death at this stage.

If you want to see half arsed, look at Cauldron games like 'Soldier of Fortune 3' and 'Battle for the Pacific' to get a real understanding of piggy backing off established franchises.

I've also been playing Call of Duty 2 on the original Xbox lately, cracking game, also made by Treyarch....the only 'bad' Call of Duty, in fact, was the first Call of Duty on the Xbox, which wasn't even made by Treyarch or IW.

Pacific games do have a lame enough background, Battle for the pacific was gorgeous but rubbish, Medal of Honor Rising Sun was plain bland.....though Medal of Honor Pacific Assault on the PC was decent enough, unbelievable graphics for the time, still looks pretty good compared to some of todays releases.

Anyway, bottom line - I'll be looking forward to this a lot, Treyarch make good games - sure, they're not quite as good as Infinity Wards releases but considering the small timeframes they were given for the past games and what they got out of them, they're a talented bunch well capable of making good games and with the length of time spend on this one, I'm quite confident it'll be a worthy release.
    Jungle and vegetation galore, very hard to make restrictive maps for open jungle without it looking bad.

Very true, Cauldron got it pretty good with their new engine, shame their games are absolute shit. COD4 beating outdoor environments, Wolfenstein style gameplay.....such a terrible waste of a capable developer. Picture below:

942745_20080104_screen008.jpg

That better be a console screenshot.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

It is actually, 360, so it's relatively low res. But it still showcases the potential of Cauldrons new engine...which is not being utilized at all. You can not honestly look at it and say 'that's crap' which is implied by your comment!

Trust me, despite the absolute banality of their recent games, they are visually very impressive in action....and that's from someone who's used to playing the latest games at high resolution at high settings - the first jungle level in BFTP had me looking around in amazement.

The picture is of Cauldrons 'Battle for the Pacific' for clarification, not Call of Duty 5. Here are another two:

Anyway the point being: Cauldron had the look nailed, though the gameplay was pre-doom. Just look at that foliage! :D

bftp2007113017004603_2.jpg

1193957783-1.jpg

Advertisement